Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

624 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 12:47 PM by Jasko123 RSS
MeanieSarah Rookie 1 posts since
May 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 28, 2012 10:56 AM

Hi! New runner from VA :) Quick recovery question...

Hey! I'm a new runner from VA. I just completed my first half last weekend. I tried to take it easy this past week to recover, but missed running so much. How many of you still follow your training schedule after a race? Or do you develop a new routine?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 28, 2012 12:31 PM (in response to MeanieSarah)

The general recommendation is one day of recovery per mile of race. So about two weeks for a half marathon. Recovery means rest, cross-training, or running  at an easy to average pace.  Avoid long runs or hard workouts (speedwork, etc).  That said, it's very individual, and you have to go with how you feel. Definitely take some easy days before testing your legs.

Len

Len

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. May 28, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to MeanieSarah)

It depends on your level of fitness, preparation and other factors.  In my humble opinion, resuming regular training as soon as possible is always a good idea.  I only take a day after a longer event, but (again) this is highly indivualized, so if you have to alter the training plan, that is fine.  In other words, running/walking/jogging lesser miles and so on after the half if you still feel that you are not fully recovered.

Developing a new routine depends on your personal goals, so are you training for another race, trying to just maintain progress, or hoping to improve overall mileage for other reasons?  If you followed a particular plan, consider going back to the mid-section of the recommendations to continue and repeat the weekly suggestions if that specific plan worked well for you.

Remember that your training schedule is your training schedule based on your expected outcomes for the future, so examine your performance level and how you wish to move forward.  In other words, are you looking at the next half, advancing to the full and/or working on speed for some local 10K events?  I would say answer these questions and then best adjust your routine. 

Congrats on your first half and keep up the wonderful advancements...join other races whenever possible and utilize those as special motivation (if necessary) to stay on target with your visions. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...