Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

660392 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 ... 327 Previous Next
  • quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,940. May 28, 2012 12:35 PM (in response to MelodyLea)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

MelodyLea - Congrats on your 10k and raising all that money!

ALatteCrazy - GL on your half. I'm currently using Hal Higdon's Half Training Program.

I jogged 7 miles on Saturday. My legs were at the point of almost giving up but all the flowers smelled nice! How does everyone deal with the rising tempertures?

• ozziemo Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    2,941. May 28, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Thank you to any service members we may have on this forum. You're sacrific is greatly appreciated!

I decided to try a shorter distance to see if I could get up to pace on Saturday morning. Killed it. Beautiful weather, my favorite local park (Griffith), and lots of cross training last week helped I think. It was only 3 miles, but it was under 9min/mile, so I was very happy with it. Then I hit the beach for a few hours of volleyball. I played out at the beach again yesterday, and ready to head to the park to mix it up with a little grass volleyball in a bit today. Training is going well!

Old Coyote - I love your new name! Also love the Irish blessing ("May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back."). My parents and grandparents both have this saying posting in their houses.

AlfNiner - Thanks for the encouragement and I love your science experiment. Totally something I would do! Congrats on killing your time on your trail run.

MelodyLea - WOW! Congrats on raising SO much money!! Congrats on finishing as well.

jmsab23 - Haha...yeah, I know, but I've known I was crazy for a long time. I fit right in in LA. Under 29 minutes?!?!?! I was talking with a friend about sports you can continue to do into old age (and continue to do well). We determined there are very few sports that we see older people participating in and actually keeping up with the younger people, if not surpassing them. Running is one of those few (and volleyball ).

ALatteCrazy - As AlfNiner mentioned, I also hail from SoCal, so thought I'd give ya a shout out. I am not at the running level of you, AlfNiner, or Terranss, but I can cheer you all on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to be a "runner"...

2012 - ran out of money for races lol

2012 Verdugo Mountains Trail Run & Hike 10k (1:14:47)

2012 Glendale Downtown Dash 5k (25:07.3)

2011 Burbank Community YMCA Turkey Trot 5k (28:01.8)

2011 Verdugo Mountains Trail Run & Hike 10k (1:22:56)

2011 Glendale Downtown Dash 5k (28:01)

2010 Burbank Community YMCA Turkey Trot 10k (1:00:32.5) - first race ever!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    2,942. May 28, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to ozziemo)

julia66 -   Awesome job and congrats on the PR!!!

melodylea - Great 10k run and nicely done on the fundraising...makes running more worthwhile when someone else benefits!

josephtree - nice morning run in my old stomping grounds outside Philly.  Will you be running the RW HM in October?

oldcoyote - saw your time on the official results page for today's Bolder Boulder...nice job!  Sorry I missed you afterward but since this was my first time I followed the masses after the finish and missed catching up with you.  Will definitely make it happen at another local race this year.

I ran the Bolder Boulder 10k this morning...perfect weather...47 degrees, low humidity through the neighborhoods in Boulder with mostly tree lined streets providing a lot of shade.  Over 50,000 registered runners.  It was an awesome event and very well run.  Finish line is in CU football stadium with images on the jumbo tron of runners entering the stadium.  This was my first 10k after running a 5k, 4 mile, 7k, 10 mile and half marathon.  Race day always gets me so pumped up at start line so I was really trying to manage my expectations.  Ran a good race and finished at 56:41 with splits of 29:05 and 27:36...first time to run negative splits in a race.  Can't wait til next year to put up a new PR!

Hope you all had a great Memorial Day.  Saw the ROTC group from CU running the race today in formation and wearing their uniforms.  While these young men and ladies are not yet serving our country, they soon will be.  I have two nephews in the Army, one of which was just wounded in Afghanistan.  He is OK now after surgery but will live with heel pain for the rest of his life and will never run again.  So I say we run for him, his name is also Brian, and all those who are serving our country to keep us safe here at home.  Think of them some time today and say a prayer for all of them and their families.  That would be a fitting way to honor them on this Memorial Day.

Have a great week, and keep up the good work!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,943. May 28, 2012 4:20 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

melodylea - once again, you put your passion where your mouth is, and good things happen!

linus - saw your time, too. I tried to get through the crowd so I could get back to the finish, but I was about a minute behind you, looks like. Great run!

BB2012 race report: What he said. It was a great day for a race. When I woke up winds were gusting to 15, so it's nice they died.

I read last week that you should do a hard warmup before a race, to get the pulse up, adrenal system pumping, cooling system primed, etc. I did that today, and noticed a major difference. No more struggling to breathe, no lead feet, just straight into racing. Which means, of course, that I ran my first mile about 30 seconds too fast. Fortunately, I decided a few weeks ago that since I was almost certain to set a PR at this distance (second time at 10k), I'd make sure I had fun. So the negative splits don't bother me today.

Ever hit a Slip-n-Slide at 7:25 am, at 47 degrees? It's a blast, I gotta tell you. And I think ALL aid stations should have crisp, yummy BACON, not just one. Come to think of it, the bacon mile was my best run mile. Hmmm. Anyway, I crushed last year's time by 3:27 and had a lot of fun doing it. On the hill leading out of the stadium toward the swag bags, I had to stop because my legs quit. I ran this one right at LT. Missed my time goal by 15 seconds, but made the fun goal easily.

Mrs. Coyote was bothered by RA today, but she, also, beat her time from last year by about 3 minutes. She gets the Ralphie award today for pushing through adversity like a buffalo.

Stay interesting!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,944. May 28, 2012 5:23 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Short work day today (they had us work on Memorial Day, then said the short day - we got out at 3 p.m. would allow us to go home for a barbecue to celelbrate the holiday). We had no plans for a BBQ, so I got in a good 8.1 mile run instead -- 1:04:10, about 7:30 pace. I felt OK, but decided not to run an additional short loop after.

Coyote.... (I'm not even going to include the "Old") That race sounds like a blast!!! And I like the award for Mrs. Coyote.

Linus Catch.... Like I said above, except the part about Mrs. Coyote....

I gotwings.... Sore feet? High temps?   Every now and then we're supposed to stop and smell the flowers.

MelodyLea.... Maine Half in September??? I'll have to make plans for that.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,945. May 28, 2012 5:53 PM (in response to jmsab23)

igotwings Thanks! All I can say about the rising temps is...adjust slowly, I guess.

ozziemo Awesome with the 9MM! And thanks.

linuscatch "...makes running more worthwhile when someone else benefits!
    " <~ Indeed! The Boulder race sounds outstanding.

Old Coyote CONGRATULATIONS!! So proud of you! Whoot and *High Fives* to Mrs. Coyote.

jmsab23 Thanks. Yep 1/2 in Maine. Hubby and I will celebrate our 25th with the trip (he'll be having a half marathon steak and eggs breakfast while I run...lol).

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    2,946. May 28, 2012 7:33 PM (in response to quikyerp)

igotwings - My take on the heat? I try to avoid it. (But some people like to run in hot weather - go figure). I'm not a super early morning person, but in the summer I'm usually back from my run before my boys wake up (they're teens, so I can leave a "gone running" sign in case they wake up and no adults are home). 7AM can be very nice and peaceful and cool enough for a good run - 6AM might be even better but I'm still asleep then.

Melodylea - good job. The heat can really make a difference, as I saw with my Mermaid 10K, and it was even hotter for your race. I bet most everyone ran a bit slower than their best.

The Boulder race sounded awesome - congrats Coyote and Linuscatch!

Thanks everyone for the congrats on my race. Today was a day off, but I'm looking forward to running tomorrow.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,947. May 28, 2012 8:26 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Sun. 6.26 miles 54 min.  Mon. 12 miles 1 hr 55 min. Great running everybody.

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    2,948. May 28, 2012 8:38 PM (in response to Julia66)

Hi all... you guys are all doing great!  I am amazed to hear how everyone is improving.  I hope those that are still not feeling well will get better. 

I have been living pretty much vicariously through you all.  I am doing 45-55 hrs per week at work for now and started going back to school to get my AA/ BA.  I am now starting to worry that my training will take a large hit this summer as I prepare for the full marathon in the fall.

I did have the weekend off and ended up running a 5k today.  It was in the mid 70's at the start and ended up getting into the mid 90s during the day.  Only about 260 in the race at the Tour De Park 5k in Ligonier PA.    It is a run through the Idlewild park and we get a great Tech TShirt.  It is a usual fast run (the last runner to cross was under 45 min... designated walkers finished at a slower rate, obviously).  With the storms last night, it was a little muddy on the route - but overall a great run through a beautiful part of PA.

I was able to put in a 27:19 finish.  I thought it was about a minute faster than 2 weeks ago and ended up only 2 seconds faster.  I am still stoked because of lack of training - but I need to find a way to get my training in.

BTW - I hate running in the heat.  Last year, I trained on the treadmill in AC when the heat was in the 90's.  I am not sure what I will do this year...

Later all and good running to you all

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• aluecker Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    2,949. May 28, 2012 9:31 PM (in response to Ericd3043)

wow, this thread is amazing. i'm so inspired by all the stories!!! 

wtg on all the races and strong training runs this weekend.  i love having some extra motivation from reading about others' experiences!

i'm still building mileage and train my long runs on saturdays or sundays.  this weekend, i ran 11 on sunday (2:02:14).  i'm a bit OCD and very competitve, but my sister (who is an avid runner) continues to remind me that i need to focus less on time and more on building the miles, so i'm trying.

the 10 i ran a week ago saturday was very difficult and i was incredibly sore the following day.  after the 11, however, i felt like i could have run several more miles and felt great immediately after and today (the day after).

i was nervous i wasn't going to be able to continue my training as scheduled, but i'm feeling good and looking forward to continuing this journey!

4/28/12 - Get in Gear 10k Minneapolis - 59:50

5/12/12 - Highline Canal 10k - 58:44

6/10/12 - Garden of the Gods 10 miler - 1:40:41

7/1/12 - Copper Mountain (TRAIL) Half Marathon (my first!) - 2:41:34 (i survived!)

8/11/12 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - TBD

9/22/12 - Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

10/21/12 - St. Louis Rock & Roll Half Marathon

12/2/12 - Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon

• apeppel Expert 57 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,950. May 29, 2012 11:05 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Just went over the 750 mile mark for my running "career".  Started running September 2010.  Took at least 1/3 of the year off last year because of injuries.  Now, back in full swing.  Also have run about 97 hours and have burned about 63,500 calories.

Still hoping to run this weekend's Minneapolis 1/2 marathon (would be the first of the year) and am shooting for about 1:50. 

Today ran a 5.64 mile route in cool, breezy weather.  It was my 4th time on the route.  My times have been: 45:00, 44:35, 44:03, 43:45.  I feel like I'm getting stronger and stronger, running smarter and smarter.

Good work to all you runners!

2011 runs:

Lace Up Against Breast Cancer (1/2 marathon), Rochester, MN 02/14/2011 1:53:02 (PR)

Red, White and Boom (1/2 marathon), Minneapolis, MN 07/04/2011 2:00:37

Chicago 1/2 Marathon - 15th Annual, Chicago, IL 09/11/2011 2:10:13 (Ran "cold" after 7 weeks of NO running)

2012 Completed runs:

Lace Up Against Breast Cancer 5K, Rochester, MN 02/12/2012 23:04

St. Patrick's Day Human Race 8K, St. Paul, MN 03/18/2012 37:30 (PR)

Fools' Five 8K, Lewiston, MN 04/01/2012 37:33

Stay Out of the Sun Run 5K, Rochester, MN 05/18/2012 22:43 (PR)

Med City Marathon Relay (6.42 miles), Rochester, MN 05/27/2012 50:25

Red, White and Boom 1/2 Marathon (5-mile version), Minneapolis, MN 07/04/2012 37:15 (PR)

Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon, Chicago, IL 07/22/2012 1:48:57 (PR)

2012 Projected runs

Twin Cities 10-mile (registered via lottery - Yay!)

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    2,951. May 29, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Thanks Linus, I'm looking at running in the 10K on the same weekend.  The Half is $$$pricey!  My GF has a house in Bethlehem and I know that neighborhood well.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    2,952. May 29, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Sluggish this morning.

I ran a 12 miler on Saturday and then had a busy weekend inclduing playing bagpipes in a Memorial Day parade yesterday.

So I think it all tiook its toll. Im sure will be back to usual tomorrow.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,953. May 29, 2012 11:43 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi everyone!

Just returned last night from 9 days in CA.

Ran 10 miles Friday, May 18 before my trip. 

Wanted to run at least 8 milesSunday, May 20 but difficulty finding some decent trails around Corona, CA but managed a 3 mile trail run (lousy trail).

Got to San Diego on Mon, May 21; we stayed on navy base on Coronado Island.

Ran 12.5 miles along the beach on Tues, May 22.

Rested Wed, ran 5 miles on treadmill on Thursday due to much cooler gusty winds on beach.

Ran the 5K on Friday, finished in 24:40 .......... like I mentioned to you all, I have not run a 5K in YEARS so I was pretty happy with my 'sprint'.

Have not run since but will be hitting the trail today, planning on running at least 10 miles today, 12 miles tomorrow, 6 miles on Thursday with my all female running group.

I registered for a 10K trail run this Saturday ........... have not run a 10K in over 2 yrs.

Someone asked me if I have encountered any 'wildlife' on my trail running ............... I have not ........ not yet ....... but they are more afraid of humans and I do try to stay on trails which are used by mtn bikers, hikers, and other runners.

I have been reading all the posts but due to my conference/business schedule, I decided to post when I return.

You all are doing super and such amazing times on the races, and the preserverance by each of you absolutely keeps me motivated.

Trail runner

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,954. May 29, 2012 12:33 PM (in response to az2mn)

Hey everyone!  Wow, there's a ton of exciting stories from this weekend.  Thanks to everyone for sharing!

MelodyLea: Congratulations on your 10K finish and fundraiser!  I'm so glad you beat your fundraising goal (and what a wonderful cause it was for!), and good for you for pushing through the race despite all you've been through with your illness and foot.  You're definitely a warrior (and a critter champion )! Can't wait to hear about your half-marathon training endeavors!

Julia66: Congrats on the 10K PR!  Woohoo!

OldCoyote and linuscatch: Awesome race and race reports, guys!  Great job to OldCoyote (and Mrs. Coyote!) for crushing last year's time.

apeppel: Nice job on the marathon relay!  Hope you get a chance to the Minn 13.1--best of luck on that!  Oh, while I was posting I saw your new post--great job on the career (so far) stats!  There are many thousands of miles ahead of you--keep it up!

Debm2011: Glad to see you're still up and about--great job with the hiking!

Webpro11: Base mileage is good, and so is biking!  Good job staying out there, and best of luck in your upcoming training!

JosephTree: I was wondering how you handle the heat with the barefoot running--are you going to switch to the Bikilas (or some other barefoot shoe) as the temps go up?  Either way, great job on your runs, and thanks for the update re: the parrot!

ALatteCrazy: Nothing wrong with a little speedwork a week out from your run!   It keeps your legs sharp, and with 6-7 days to recover you'll be fine.  Hope you do great at your half this weekend! 

jmsab23: Awesome story about your wife's family getting into running!  That's so inspiring about your wife's uncle, too--that's an incredible time!  Sorry about the Celts last night, by the way; it's gonna be a tough series!

6xchampsfan: What a wonderful, selfless thing you do for the vets!  Very admirable.  Keep up the exercising, friend--hope you keep healing!

AlfNiner: Hey buddy, let me know when you're free after June 10th--after that race on the 10th I'll be free up to do some training runs with you.  Hopefully we can do the actual course--if not, I suggest we do something like Icehouse Canyon.  Maybe ALatteCrazy has some suggestions for us...?  Also, great job with the 12-miler, and best of luck on the Fontana Days half!  ...I'll try to get out there next year, and not be a bum and wait so long to register.

igotwings: I don't particularly like running in the heat, but toughing it out makes for a really strong fall/winter running season.  To deal with the heat I use sunscreen, fill my water bottles with ice water (more than I need, generally, so I can squirt some on my head/hat), and if I'm going out longer than an hour, I take a salt tab before the run.  Longer than two hours and I'll drop another tab halfway through.  Your speed won't be as high as it would be if you were in cool weather, but you'll see the difference in the fall!

ozziemo: Nice job with the Griffith Park run!  Hopefully I can get out there for a run one of these days... Hope volleyball training continues to go well for you, too.

Ericd3043: Nice job on the 5K! 

aluecker: Great mileage!  It's tough sometimes, looking at the time on your watch/phone and thinking you ought to be going faster, but remember that these are your first attempts at the new distances, so time shouldn't be the issue.  The fact that you can run 11 and feel great after is a huge accomplishment!  Keep it up!

az1414: Well done on the 5K!  Good luck on the 10K--it probably still feels like a sprint, right?

lifl2003: Bagpipes??  Awesome!  Great mileage, too!  Hope everything sorts itself out today so you can get back to normal.

I spent Memorial Day Weekend with my parents, who live near Sacramento, CA.  8 miles on Saturday (1:02), 3 on Sunday (25:05), and 9 miles (1:15) on Monday, for a total elevation gain of 18 feet over the 20 miles.     That's about as flat as you can get!  Had a great time with the family, but I had to come home eventually.  Got in another 5 miles this morning (41:34), which had much more climbing! 

Because of the flu, this has been a really low mileage month for me--I'm at 122 right now, but my average this year has been around 180.  Hoping June is better...

Happy running, everyone!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...