Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2273286 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 696 697 698 699 700 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,456. May 29, 2012 9:07 AM (in response to xaxen)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Great advice and great bunch! I think the mindset to focus on here is common sense. The greek salad or the Waldorf salad sound good, but we know the garden salad is the one to get. After working out and sweating in the hot sun it's water to grab, and a bit of recovery stuff like a banana and bagel. Not a giant smoothie from Mcdonalds and protien shake. I bought into the "diet food" a lot and realized that it was all very silly. I know what to eat, I always did. It's the healty bits at the edges of the grocery store. It's the fruit, vegetables, lean meats, eggs, no fat milk and whole grains. Stuff tastes great prepared fresh. I also love sweet potatoes in the microwave and watermellon and grapes chilled in the fridge.

The good food is stuff you make yourself is what I am finding. You can control the portions and decide what sauces if any go on them. The only place I feel comfortable eating out is subway. Because I watch them make it and I know what the calories are. Also I have never been sick from the food I get there, which is a plus.

Oh, after burning myself a bit I want to remind you all to get some sunscreen that's waterproof for your workouts. =)

@Wideguy. Got a pair of Bakilas and KSO's. The PR 5k in my signiature was with the KSO's. I also ran my 10k in Minimus 00 trail shoes (which are basically ballet slippers with tread) I still have slight knee pain with all shoes, but the minimals really reduce the pain. I did start having Planar Fascitis in my feet with heavy Vibram use, so I stopped for a bit and it went away. I think my feet are still getting used to them. I run very fast in those, and they are my preferred 5k shoes because I can just zoom down the roads in them. I do maybe 1 day vibram, 1 day minimus and 1 day Brooks each week. I don't like the brooks as they feel like boats on my feet, but they allow for the middle of my feet to recover so I mix it up. #edit Also I got a pair of luna sandals coming today. It's a company made by Barefoot Ted to make sandals like Manuel Luna. =)

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    10,458. May 29, 2012 9:18 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Haven't written in a while but still here and still running.  My weight loss, like many, has stalled so I have just kicked into "maintenance" zone and decided not to fret about the scale.  I may be 15 pounds short of my intended goal, but I'm 83 pounds lighter than when I started.  So, if I can maintain it (have been stalled for over a year), eventually my body will let go of a little more and, if note, hey, I'm healthy!

So, I ran a short 5K on Saturday in my Fila Skele-Toes (in honor of Wide Guy).   He got me excited about barefoot running about 18 months ago and I've been dabbling in it ever since (up to 1 mile or 2 barefoot).   I ran my fastest race yet for a pace just under 12 minutes/mile which is still penguin speed but it was SOOOO comfortable and I won first place in my age group (Old old old (58 years).  

So keep at it everyone.

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

Aug 4, 2011
    10,460. May 29, 2012 9:49 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wideguy wrote:

Which Luna model did you get? Let me know how you like them! 

I went for the original one with the brown suede top and ATS laces. They should be at my house right now. Also I am moving away from the scary brockton and right outside Humarock beach! =) Yay less chance of being stabbed, shot or robbed!

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Using Endomondo!

Aug 4, 2011
    10,462. May 29, 2012 9:56 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wideguy wrote:

Zerorez wrote:

I went for the original one with the brown suede top and ATS laces. They should be at my house right now. Also I am moving away from the scary brockton and right outside Humarock beach! =) Yay less chance of being stabbed, shot or robbed!

YAY for not getting shot or stabbed!  Also means less traffic and possible Barefoot time.

I'll convert you yet! 

* laughs maniacally* 

Well, running on the beach barefoot is kinda awesome, I am not gonna lie. The fact I could do that every morning is pretty tempting.

Using Endomondo!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10,463. May 29, 2012 12:58 PM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

My daughter is 11 and now she wants to run with me starting next Monday, I will start the c25k with her in hopes she will run her first race with me on the 4th of July.

• Alle-Mac Rookie 2 posts since
    May 29, 2012
    10,464. May 29, 2012 6:26 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello 200+Pound Club,

As of today, I am the newest member of taking the first steps needed to make this change. I'm 5'11", 257lbs 33yr old woman. As I'm sure a lot of folks on here have asked "how did this happen?" I saw the weight creeping on - correction Leaping on. My weight gain happened in 20lb increments. I have been an athlete since birth, but have struggled with my wieght since I was a teenager even though I played volleyball, basketball and ran track. The bad part is, I'm the "small" one in the family...So this tells me I'm fighting genetics along with my love for food - family history also tells me that I'm at risk of Diabetes. I am lucky that I do have naturally muscular frame - but the bad part is, 5lbs didn't get my attention, 20lbs not so much,...70lbs later I now have a visual (I don't like the way I look) and phyisical problem. For 13 years I served in the US Marine Corps - struggled with my weight every day. I had unhealthy habits and as I got older, the "tricks" no longer worked. Add to it a torn ACL I just couldn't run without pain or stay within weight standards- it was time to go. There was also a divorce somewhere in there. Depression set in - I could no longer be a Marine, play Volleyball, and single. My entire adult life had been defined by these three things. So I threw myself into work and made excuses as to why I couldn't workout...So that's how I got here!!

Why the change now?? It's time. The weight is still teatering, I miss my active old life. I'm finally happy in the many other facets of life. I just moved to Hawaii with my new husband. There is so much to see and do - I don't want to miss out or let this weight slow me down. My short term goal is to get through week with more activity and begin C25K; also to run an 8K in August for the Wounded Warriors; long term is to drop 75lbs by the end of the year.

That's me

• PorkysPursuit Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2012
    10,465. May 30, 2012 4:38 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wow. I just spent 3 hours going through this thread.

I woke up one morning and realized I was fat. I couldn't tie my shoes without a Herculean effort and my man-b00bs were quite embarrassing. I decided to start running, and possibly, maybe run a marathon in a couple of years. My business partner (and ultra runner) mentioned I should 1) get a good pair of shoes; and 2) start the C25k program. I am now in my 7th week. (Of course I had my hiccups.) Anyway - I had no idea this forum existed. Pretty cool. It's nice to know that a bunch of people were worse off than me (in terms of weight) and still beautifully succeeded.

One of the motivators for me is using technology to track my progress, and blogging about it for ..... posterity maybe? Anyway -- www.porkyspursuit.com. Come check it out, say hi -- whatever. If you have any questions about how I did anything, please ask. I'll see y'all around.

Becoming Less Fat, One Day at a Time!

www.porkyspursuit.com

@porkyspursuit

porkyspursuit@gmail.com

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    10,466. May 30, 2012 4:52 AM (in response to PorkysPursuit)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi,

My name is Mike and I was in your shoes 3 years ago. I was 6' 2" and  255 pounds and I realized that I was fat when I was on the Wii Fit Scale and

my little "Mii" was obese.

So I started running and changed my diet.  I went down to 183 lbs which was a too low for me.  I was training for my first full marathon last year and ripped my glute so i took time off.

Unfortuneatly some weght came back on so I am currently about 203 lbs which is where my wife has requested thati stay. She was tired of telling people that I was not sick or dying whne I was 183. I would like to be 195 lbs myself.

Anyway I am running my fourth half marathon in three weeks and my forst full marathon in October (Marine Corps) I just bookmarked your blog so I will be checking it out! 

I too have a blog http://runningonlongisland.wordpress.com/

Check it out if you get the chance!

Good luck and no matter what dont quit!

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

Aug 4, 2011
    10,468. May 30, 2012 5:54 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

@ Alle-Mac

It is tough, I hated my body, how I looked. I basically would sit at my computer for years just trying to ignore the fact I had a body at all. I am not happy with my body and I like to exercise. Running is fun! I do worry though at your goal of 75 pounds in 6 months. Don't be depressed if you only get 30 or 40. It takes time to do it right. Nice to see you on here and please for the sake of all of us watch some sunrises or sunsets running in Hawaii and tell us all how awesome it was. =)

@ Porky

Welcome! Having a friend that is an ultra runner must be a tad intimidating. I noticed how things I thought were super hard now seems easy to me. He is likely going to find things simple that you find impossible. But look at some of the people here and you will find that people have gone from 200+ to marathoner. If I ever get there I will have gone from 345 to marathoner. So far I am up to 10k distance and down 75 pounds. If you go slowly enough your body will take it. But you must listen to your body. Good luck and welcome!

@Milke

Nice! I hope you have a great marathon! What are half marathons like? I keep wanting to run further and further. I am addicted to the accomplishment of something faster or further. I am hoping I can continue my improvement year after year =)

@Wideguy

Got the lunas. Wow. Just wow. I just did a few minutes of running in the back yard and then went shopping with them but they are super comfortable. I think I am going to try running in them soon for a mile or two. I love them! So I will breakdown my shoes so far in the minimal field:

Bakilas Vibram Pretty good, don't like the fact you can't tighten the heel, they are comfy and I like the tread and grip, makes it easier to go down hills

KSO Vibram Love these. They are very comfortable, although I do get blisters a bit they are my go to shoe for going fast in races

New Balance Minimus 00 (zero zero, hehe) Ran my 10k in these, they held up fine, they feel like ballet slippers they seem to make the sides of my knees hurt rather than the middle

New Balance Minimus 10 To narrow to wear long term, always seem to rub me the wrong way. Very comfortable

Brooks Addiction My go to shoe when I have a blister or feeling a bit of road wear from a minimal. They work fine, but feel like giant boats on my feet and hurt my knees if I use them daily.

Luna sandals Very comfortable, the leather footbed feels great, the brief running I have done I can tell I am going to love using these. The ATS laces are super easy to use to make them just tight enough.

Bare feet: feels the best, but I am afraid of getting ick in my feet. When I do it I have a great time.

So I was watching "Weight of the Nation" on HBO and WOW that show is amazing. If you haven't seen it go and see it. One fact that blew me away is that they are finding that people who have been heavy must eat 20% less than someone who has never been heavy to stay the same weight. So my 110 pound wife and I eat the same food and I get bigger and she stays thin. Amazing stuff. According to that show now 1/3 of all kids are overweight or Obese. If knowlege is power than this show is an arsenal to use in your personal battle against being overweight. The data and facts in there are great. The bigges thing they keep saying is to stop drinking sodas and juices. They say that you must go for water far more often. Makes sense. I hope you are all doing well!

Using Endomondo!

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    10,469. May 30, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

"Halfs" are great! They are a really cool milestone to train for and once youve got a 5K and 10K done it the natural progression!

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...