Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2111683 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 695 696 697 698 699 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,441. May 29, 2012 7:32 AM (in response to AndreaH1)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

To those struggling with diet:  eat salads. I go for a veggie sub footlong at subway and it's under 500 calories. The key is to eat lots of fruit and veggies. I have an apple or orange or greek yogurt as a snack. I have them around and can easily grab one. They are under 100 calories each and are filling. Snickers? Those are like 250 calories. Also instant oatmeal is a good one to keep on hand to not be hungry those are around 100 calories each also. Snacker Chris had some great suggestions on snacks to keep yourself from starving. I think the biggest thing I learned was to have healthy stuff available all the time so that going to a vending machine or eating a donut wasn't something I did out of desperation and hunger. I really love Chobani dark cherry yogurts, I like them as much as a donut and they are healthier! I would gather up about 10 foods you like and you can keep on hand for snacking as a strategy. So far that's working for me =)

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• AndreaH1 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    10,442. May 29, 2012 7:33 AM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

My biggest problem is extreme pickiness.  I hate yogurt, makes me gag, yick.  Don't like nuts.  Fruit unfortunately makes me sick (I must have an allergy or something but it's not pretty).  I do like veggies (cooked) so I have to rely alot on that.  I'll eat salads but plain, lettuce and carrots, that's about it.  So because of being picky, it seems I never feel satiated.  Sucks.  But, trying and will find some stuff I like and go from there!   Thanks for the tips!

• Zyndyna Amateur 14 posts since
    May 21, 2012
    10,444. May 29, 2012 7:42 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ugh I just got used to splenda and diet sodas...... I get most of my water intake by using crystal light and unsweetned tea with splenda I have never been much of a water person. Guess it is one more thing to work on. Not to mention I love my tea. It was a big adjustment to go from sweet tea to unsweetned tea with splenda. I am from the south it is like a sin to mess with the tea lol.

Apr 12, 2012
    10,445. May 29, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to Zyndyna)
    200+ Pound Club!

Zyndyna, have you tried stevia?  It's a "natural" sugar that isn't supposed to trick your system like the artificial sweeteners.  Look it up.  I use it in my iced tea and love it.  You can buy it in any grocery store now.  

May 21, 2012
    10,446. May 29, 2012 7:47 AM (in response to AndreaH1)
    200+ Pound Club!

Nope I havent tried that one. I will check into it. Any funky after taste?

Apr 12, 2012
    10,448. May 29, 2012 7:52 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

A big congrats to your wife! I'm jealous!!!  I know what you mean about going to far the other way but I swear my body is wired differently.  It's so weird.  When I lost the biggest amount of weight I was about 29 (I'm now 45) and everyday all I ate was an egg and piece of toast for breakfast, an orange (when I could still eat fruit) for lunch and a bowl of vegetable for dinner.  That was it.  And lots of exercise.  I went from an 18 down to a 6-8 in probably 6-8 months and felt soo good, I really miss that but know it's unreasonable.  The thought of starving myself is not something I want to do but I've tried to eat normal portions and such and nothing happens at all.  I haven't even told anyone (besides my husband) that I'm training myself to run because I don't think they'd believe me because I've lost nothing at all.  Makes me so dang mad!

Apr 12, 2012
    10,449. May 29, 2012 7:54 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I agree with you Wideguy but at least the stevia would be a better way to try to ween yourself off sugar, lol!!!!  I try not to use the artificial sweeteners but it's in so many things...stevia helps me alittle, I've been able to reduce the amount of sweetness in everything by using it.  Definitely not a way to go forever but I think it's better than artificial.....

May 21, 2012
    10,450. May 29, 2012 8:00 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I know. I used to drink nothing but regular sodas all the time. Now most days I am down to one soda a day. But I do drink a lot of tea and crystal light. It is hard for me to get the recommended amount of water a day if I dont sneak it in. Wideguy that is amazing about your wife and gives me hope that maybe some day I will be a different size besides 24.

Apr 12, 2012
    10,453. May 29, 2012 8:13 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks Wideguy, I'm doing my best to not become too discouraged and keep plugging along.  I'm thankful I have the "running bug" and will continue with that regardless.  I'm laughing at 3000 calories of chicken and salad, I'd probably be laying down somewhere unable to move, lol!  I know I've probably screwed up my metabolism almost to the point of no return but I will really try to watch what I'm doing and come up with a plan for myself.  Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Zyndyna....crystal light has a drink (in the powders section) that is made with stevia...It's called Crystal Light Pure....give it a try, I really like it.  And yes, don't stick on it forever but maybe it will help you to transition over to more water and less sweet stuff.  I am drinking alot more water than I used to and use that as a treat.  WE CAN DO IT!!!!  : )

May 21, 2012
    10,454. May 29, 2012 8:16 AM (in response to AndreaH1)

Thanks Andrea I agree that we can do it and it helps to have encouragement.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...