Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1685 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 8:01 PM by Sparkles1984 RSS
Sparkles1984 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 28, 2012 7:13 PM

Doing the active.com C25K through my iphone :)

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to running. I started about a week ago and have attempted Day 1 (of Wk 1) four times now. I still can't do all of the jogs. I've never been very active, nor have I ever run very far. Does anyone else feel discouraged? I mean I know I'm way out of shape, but I still can't even complete Day 1 (and the jogs are only 60 seconds at a time!)! I don't have asthma or anything, but everytime I run my lungs want to beat me up. Is this normal for a beginner? Is there any way to increase your lung capacity/stamina? Does it get easier?

I welcome any and all advice!

Thanks,

Ashley

Ashley

• akkoker Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    1. May 29, 2012 7:07 AM (in response to Sparkles1984)

I'm no expert on this, but I can relate!  The good news is..  I finished this program and I believe you can too.  One trick that helped me was to focus on the positive.  Congratulate yourself for getting out there PERIOD.  It's more than what you're used to doing, right?  I set the goal:  "Get out there for 30 minutes- whatever you get done- GREAT!"   To borrow a phrase from the P90X guy, " Do your best, forget the rest".   You will see improvement and your body will get used to running.  Eventually you'll find yourself getting cranky when you don't get to go!  Good luck and stick with it!

• CharisW Rookie 1 posts since
    May 29, 2012
    2. May 29, 2012 8:09 AM (in response to Sparkles1984)

I am starting this plan tommorow and I imgaine I will be in the same position. I have never been able to jog for more than a few seconds at a time.

I am guessing this is just something that will come in time...hopefully!

• KayleeKeller Rookie 1 posts since
    May 29, 2012
    3. May 29, 2012 8:29 AM (in response to Sparkles1984)

I just did my first day yesterday and I can relate! I was able to finish the 60 second intervals of jogging (some barely...) but I know that feeling! It becomes so hard for me to breathe that I dont feel as though I can finish! I used to be in very good shape, I played field hockey in high school and I remember feeling this same way the first few conditioning practices and it did get better! By the end of the season I never got that burning feeling in my chest and I was hardly ever out of breath! Thats what is going to keep me going- knowing that it does get easier!!!

• BettinaStraight Rookie 1 posts since
    May 18, 2012
    4. May 29, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to Sparkles1984)

Ashley, I could be you!  I'm just getting started and have made a few trips around a local lake but am just starting off with the C25K program.  My lungs kill me (it actually feels like it's my throat) but I will keep my fingers crossed that it gets better with time.  I'm glad I found this group, I need some motivation and support through this journey.  I'm doing a 5K in October so I'm feeling confident that by then I'll be able to make it through. 

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 29, 2012 1:10 PM (in response to BettinaStraight)

I loaded Robert Ullreys c25k on my phone HTH

• saints72903 Amateur 8 posts since
    May 14, 2012
    6. May 29, 2012 1:59 PM (in response to Sparkles1984)

It does get easier. The main thing is to not try and over do it. Start off at a slow pace. The first few workouts I did, my jog was not much faster then my walking. As my endurence builds I can adjust my pace. Good luck and don't give up!

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished finished. 'There is a lot of satisfaction in that."

-Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    7. May 30, 2012 12:13 PM (in response to Sparkles1984)

I agree with Saints72903...When I began running, my pace was WAY too fast and I burnt out quick, and my lungs and throat hurt because I was panting like crazy while running.  I focused more on my breathing, and more so through the nose as to not dry out my throat huffing and puffing.  I slowed my pace to where I could have a simple conversation.  This helped my burning lungs tremendously.  I do have asthma, and I don't have issues breathing while running anymore.  Running outside makes a big difference too.  If it's too dry you may get a scratchy throat.  When it's humid, I get all phlegm-y...yuck.  I also have pretty back seasonal allergies too.  But you will find a balance.  Your endurance will come too...on your off days you can do some strength training to start building your muscle endurance as well.  Drink lots of water, and replace your electrolytes...Bananas are good pre/post run eats, along with calcium and protein.  (All in my opinion, and by no means am I an MD, nutritionist, or trainer)

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012