Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2113362 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 697 698 699 700 701 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Alisongar Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 27, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,470. May 30, 2012 8:43 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi! I just found this and decided to come on. I just started running with my sister about 5 weeks ago and had a rough start. I was pretty sure my big old body wasn't made for running but I am getting a little better now. I can run for 5 minutes and still be ok although it's still hard for me. My biggest problem though is mind over matter. I have never been the kind of person that self-motivates for anything whether it's weight loss, eating healthy or exercising. I find when I run now even if I am feeling somewhat ok I stop to take a break instead of push myself to go further. Does anyone have any tips on good ways to keep going even when you feel like you can't/don't want to do anymore? I am going to sign up for my first 5k on June 9 and I hope I do well. I have 2 kids and I want to be a good role model for them in terms of health and physical activity.

• Alle-Mac Rookie 2 posts since
    May 29, 2012
    10,471. May 30, 2012 5:28 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

@ Wideguy - Thank you for the warm welcome and the great encouragement. I really appreciate you saying "as you get started, I hope you remember one big thing, listen to your body. The C25K program works, but many, many of us repeat days, or even weeks, along the way. It's a big change for our bodies, especially for us heavier folks. So try not to worry about schedules, just do what your body lets you and keep going. It will come." I know it can be discourageing if I don't progress according to schedule but it's not a failure - I'll just need to keep at it.

So got some time in on the eliptical yesterday morning and then attempted to play volleyball last night. Both went well but I think my start of C25K will be postponed until tomorrow   I think I put my body in shock! But I feel great!! I feel so good about getting some activity back in my life.

I already have a pair of 5-toe shoes. I have yet to try to run in them but will give it a shot.

@ Zerorez - Believe me, I will be just as happy to loose 30-40lbs by the end of the year!! You're right, it is going to take time to do it right...

Thanks again for the welcome...

• Bogeyfire Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 29, 2012
    10,472. May 30, 2012 7:52 PM (in response to AndreaH1)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Stevia can be really good!  My wife and I have been doing a modified "Dukan Diet", which is basically a low glycemic South Beach or Sugar Busters kind of thing.  The quirk about Dukan is, it requires 2 tablespoons of oat bran a day.  Yuck!

Well, its not so yucky anymore.  I actually look forward to my oat bran!  Wierd.  Anyway the trick is using flavored liquid stevia. I love chocloate.  My wife loves root beer.  You put 8 - 10 drops of chocolate in a coffee mug with nonfat milk and 2Tbs of oatbran, and it tastes just like chocolate milk.  The brand we buy is "Sweet Leaf".  Its a little pricy, ($15?), but it lasts a long time.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but when I want it, this satisfies it really well.  Its a little hard to come by.  In San Diego, we have a store that sells it, "Sprouts".  Its like a natural, off-brand grocery store.  It might be easier to order online.  The is from Sweet Leaf's website:  http://www.buywisdom.com/prodinfo.asp?number=STV-CLR-CHOC

STICK_DUDE.jpg Witch Dr. say, "Walla walla bing bang!"

• Bogeyfire Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 29, 2012
    10,473. May 30, 2012 9:00 PM (in response to Bogeyfire)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Okay, I'm new.  I'm replying to my own post.  It looks like the only way to post is to reply to someone, so I replied to me.  I'm trainable if I'm missing something.

Technology!  Yes, I love it.  In all my past, (before I got fat), I never used "Walkmans" or anything of the sort.  ( Walkmans, HA!  Yeah.  I'm 54 AND fat.) 

Now days, I'm missing half my workout "high" without my iPod.  Music and audio books are essential.  It really puts me in my own world.

Next, I got the Nike+ sensor which communicates with my iPod.  When I get home and sync my iPod, it automatically uploads the length, duration, and stats of my run.  You add whether its a road run, treadmill, sunny day, rainy, night...  It also has all sorts of motivations built into the Nike+ website.

It fun, and I really feel the guilt when I'm slacking.  It shows all your activity at a glance.

nikeplus.jpg

STICK_DUDE.jpg Witch Dr. say, "Walla walla bing bang!"

• CapnDonkey Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    10,477. May 31, 2012 7:55 AM (in response to you2510)
    200+ Pound Club!

you2510, I like the way you think.

Been awhile, just ducking in to reply to the most WTF post I have ever seen.

I have taken up weight lifting while using the treadmill for cardio, since all running all the time was causing me to lose just as much lean mass as fat.  Now, I'm back up 15 lbs, but it's mostly muscle.  Hopefully I've found a great balance that will keep the fat burning engines roaring, while BUILDING lean mass, instead of eating it up.

Keep up the runs, everyone!  I love reading your posts.  Especially you, you2510. 

Started training 8/27/10 - 357.5 lbs

Lowest weight in 2011 - 308.1 lbs

Post Injury weight on 12/15/11 - 351.4 lbs

Current weight 5/31/12 - 330 lbs

Goal Weight - 12/25/12 - 250.00 lbs

Major Setbacks - Willpower, muscle retention.

• happyhippybaby Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012
    10,478. Jun 1, 2012 10:52 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

New here, I postedin theJune c25k thread too, but I am starting today! I weigh 333 pounds and am a mama to 5 kids. I'm 34 and don't want to waste anymore time being inactive. I also need to change my life so my kids aren't fighting weight issues their whole lives. I look forward to learning to love exercise again!

• bbaquero Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    10,479. Jun 1, 2012 11:02 AM (in response to happyhippybaby)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome happyhippybaby!!

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    10,480. Jun 1, 2012 6:34 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thought I would duck in for a quick check and update:  Still slowed by sore knee  (not running related - karate is my cross training choice and I twisted and knee didn't back before Easter) but managed to keep weight down since my last update:  I'm still at that elusive 25 lbs from goal  (200 down frm 245) but I have managed to change eating habits enough to not gain while slowed or while on travel.  its tough when faced with restaurants several nights in a row but I am learning to eat two for one  (eat half a dinner and save it for the next day).

Keep up good work everyone and keep on moving!

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    10,481. Jun 1, 2012 7:10 PM (in response to Ogr44)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello,

I still havn't finished the C25K. My knees started hurting really bad, especially when I walk down stairs. it hurts right below the kneecap. I haven't had pain in this area before, and sometimes it just starts aching.

but I think It will all end up being a blessing, I decided to start the C25K barefoot, I started on a grassy field and will progress to a dirt track and dirt trails before hitting pavement. I ran a little last night to see if there was any pain and since there wasn't I want to try starting Sunday so I have the Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday running days, and do other stuff on the other days.

Thank you for all the links Wideguy, they are really interesting.

Kristi

• VPSteve Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 5, 2011
    10,483. Jun 10, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello.  I don't post much, but I do follow this thread often.  I started the c25k program in June 2010, and finished it around Sept 2010, being delayed by injuries.  At the time I weighed around 240 lbs.  My first 5k was July 4th, 2010 in a time around 40 minutes.  I kept running several times a week since then.  In September 2011 I started doing Crossfit.  I now do Crossfit 4 times a week, and still run as much as I can (there is a lot of running in the crossfit workouts as well).  In my last post on Jan 17, 2012, I stated that I had a goal of running a 5k under 26 minutes at a weight of 205 by June 2012.  Well, yesterday, I accomplished that goal.  I ran a time of 25:31, average 8:14 per mile, at a weight of 193 lbs.  For all of you starting out, stick with it. Don't let anything stop you.  Oh, did I mention that I am 58 years old -  I started c25k at the age of 56 and 240 lbs and could barely run for 30 seconds.  So if I can do it, so can you.   

• Kflie83 Rookie 7 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    10,484. Jun 10, 2012 7:13 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I have lost all motivation. I started C25k about 2 months ago. I got to week 4 and felt AMAZING!! I couldn't wait for each run. My knees didn't agree and I had to take a break for a couple of weeks to let them heal and to do some quad exersizes. I decided to start over at week one. Thank God I did. It was harder this time around than last time! Now I am about to start week 2 and have absolutely no motivation. I should have started 3 days ago. I was also using myfitnesspal.com and had lost 10lbs. In my 2 weeks of recovery, I gained 12 lbs and now I am not even using it. UGH!! I hate that I was injured. I feel like if my knees would have stayed with it, I would still be going strong! I cried the day I had to take a break from running. I had fallen in love with it! What is wrong with me now? I just want to sit on the couch and eat pizza all day. I am exhausted. I asked a friend if she'd be interested in starting c25k with me,so that I'd have a buddy to help keep me going. Hopefully that will work. I am just so... unmotivated.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...