Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

399 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 9:37 AM by R-hizzle
R-hizzle Amateur 22 posts since
Jan 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 31, 2012 9:37 AM

After recovering from Meniscus surgery, I am back running.

I haven't posted anything new lately. Its been a long haul recovering from last years 5k that put me under the knife. I was sure that the pain would never go away after my Meniscus arthroscopic surgery that I was starting to believe my desire to run would never come to true. I'm here to tell all of you that at 45 years old I am back on the road and signed up for my next 5k. This Saturday( Dash for Dads for Prostate cancer, in Joliet,IL). If anyone has to have this type of surgery please understand that if you want to make a strong recovery its all about good quality rehab, and putting the time into your rehab on your own time. Balancing exercises and strength training really helped me. I got better by mixing running with walking, slowly i was able to run more and walk less. As i get older and hopefully more wise, i believe that you have to listen to your body, if it tells you that it's feeling beat up, take an extra day off. After a long run my body needs two days of no running before I'm ready to go again. Check out all the helpful videos on YouTube about proper running technique. I got better by working away from heel strikes and more toward landing on my forefoot. I also found a great video about shortening my running gate. Now i have a shorter foot strike which i intent to make into a faster turnover over time. One last thing, slowing down your run, training in the proper heart rate zone(using a heart rate monitor), works wonders for building a strong base. Search for that also on youtube. Good Luck to all and train smart. I'm off to hit the spin bike.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...