Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19657 Views 109 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 2:17 PM by KHT2012 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next
  • WillKeepAtIt Rookie 1 posts since
    May 24, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. May 24, 2012 10:31 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi All! I started C25K on Sunday - I just finished W1D2 yesterday...am looking forward to staying motivated and on this course as I've never been able to run any kind of distance previously!

• Centari Amateur 12 posts since
    May 6, 2012
    31. May 25, 2012 3:33 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi All

Woke up this morning at 5:30 am and decided to go the track to do W3D3.... It was a beautiful morning!  Did some stretching and walked a lap to loosen up.  Then I started W3D3 workout. The warmup walk went well, then the first run portion started...  That is when the morning went downhill fast....  Within the first minute of running my knees were hurting and I was limping.  I walked the remainder of the first run and tried to start running the second run portion.  My knees would not cooperate this morning....  I walked the whole workout ...  The mind and soul was committed to the W3D3 workout but the knees went on vacation....   I am going to try the eliptical machine later this afternoon and hopefully the lower impact on the knees will allow me to get a good workout....   I am gonna have to put the C25K running on hold for a few days ... hopefully the knees will get better.  But I am still going keep moving.. walking, riding bike or eliptical machine.  I am determined to stay on this program on eating better (and less  lol) and exercising.  I guess I did not take enough time to heal from when I hurt my knee after W2D3.  Here's to R.I.C.E.  for a few days.   

Down but not out!

Cheers

Hanford

• Centari Amateur 12 posts since
    May 6, 2012
    34. May 26, 2012 5:06 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi All

After years of buying exercise equipment (treadmill, exercise bike & elliptical machine) on the pretense of exercising ... to lose weight and get healthy. Actually the treamill was for the wife, I started the C25K.  Surprising I have enjoyed the running for the last 3 weeks.  After hurting my knee and not taking enough time to let it heal I have managed to injury the other knee.   This morning I got up and actually used the bike and elliptical.  I can honestly say  that I hate the elliptical machine, I managed to put 5 minutes on it and used the bike for 15 minutes.  But it is a start.  Plan to continue using them until my knees gets stronger and I can go back to C25K. Determined to keep moving!  The mind is here and set on becoming a runner just waiting fo rthe body and knees to catch up.

• Milindarose23 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    35. May 28, 2012 9:32 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Also a newbie here. Started May 6th

• gatorgirl28 Amateur 13 posts since
    May 5, 2012
    36. May 28, 2012 12:51 PM (in response to Milindarose23)
    C25K - Started in May

Hey, nice to meet everybody! I'm also a newbie and started May 7th. Finished Week 3 on the 25th but I'm repeating week 3 again just because I've finally fallen into a stride that is very comfortable for my body. When I was jogging/trotting before, my right knee would be a little sore after each run. Now, that's change and I'm just taking it easy as far as my body is concerned. Not quite ready for week 4, but definitely looking forward to it. I've noticed great changes and not only do I feel SO much better due to this running program- I've gotten addicted to it. Everytime it's my run day- I'm so excited to go out for a run. Best to the rest of you and keep it up!

• nerudathedog Amateur 13 posts since
    May 18, 2012
    37. May 28, 2012 2:12 PM (in response to gatorgirl28)
    C25K - Started in May

Gatorgirl, same here--I really, really look forward to my run days. I took a spill last week and pulled muscles in one of my legs, then got on a plane the next day. The combination was tough on me, and I haven't run since Wednesday. Looking forward to starting week 3 this evening, and hoping I don't have to go back to week 2, but it'll be OK if I do...

• vjhappy Rookie 60 posts since
    Mar 17, 2007
    38. May 29, 2012 1:35 PM (in response to nerudathedog)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi everyone! I completed Week 2 while I was on vacation on the treadmill and it was good.  My shins are still sore, but they haven't gotten as worse and the new surface was good for me.  Most of the time, I do the intervals on a regular track, rubberized track, or asphalt around the lake.  Going to do W3D1 this evening at the rubberized track.

Centari, sorry to hear about your knee injuries, but congrats for staying active.

Will be back to report how things went.  Keep at it everyone!

V

• LePorcBarbu Rookie 4 posts since
    May 30, 2012
    39. May 30, 2012 5:39 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hey folks! I started back on 7 May 2012 and I just finished W4D2. I never really felt motivated to work out in the past, and I've always had problems with my knees while doing any sort of running. Since I've got a young daughter, I decided I should probably try to be a good example by eating better and becoming more active. Since I love to cook, eating healthier wasn't all that difficult, but becoming active was a challenge. My wife (for various reasons) decided to start going to Zumba and yoga classes, so I took the hint and decided to run (and do it right). Since my biggest fear was ruining my knees, I did some research and decided to try barefoot running. While not literally barefoot, I got some Merrell Trail Glove shoes and thought to try this C25K. I figured while training for the 5K, it would be a good time to work on training myself to the barefoot running style. I don't know if it's the shoes, stride, or something else, but I've not had a bit of knee pain. If your knees bother you, it might be worth a shot to research barefoot (or minimalist) running.

As for the C25K, did anyone think week 3 was a bit on the easy side, then notice a big jump at week 4? Maybe it's just me, but week 4 is really pushing me harder than previous weeks. Overall though, it's been great fun giving this a go. I can definitely tell a difference in my overall mood.

Good luck all!

C25K started 7 May 2012

Using C25K Couch to 5K by RunDouble for Android.

I just want to be able to outrun the zombies.

Firecracker 5K 07/04/2012 - 29:00

• aland711 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 19, 2012
    40. May 31, 2012 10:55 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

I started on may 25. Tomorrow I will be done with W1D3. I hurt my hip getting in the back of my sisters jeep so i took a couple days off, ran on tuesday and irritated it more. Im feeling better today so I will run tomorrow and start with W2D1 on monday.

• VeganRican Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 4, 2011
    41. May 31, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi Everyone! I just started May 28th (for the 3rd time) and will repeat week 1 next week again. I'm taking it as slow as I need to, so as to avoid injury. That's what sidelined me the other 2 times.

My name is Tanya, I'm 41, married, home schooling mom of 5, and I have about 50lbs to lose! Would love to hang out here if that's ok with you guys....

• SingingPilgrim Expert 56 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    42. May 31, 2012 12:37 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hey guys! I just actually went and posted on the started in April, becasue I did restart then, but then I looked at how much progress they've made (I'm in week four) I realized I belonged in this group. :-P I had gotten sick a couple of week ago (vomiting, etc) and it set me back two and a half weeks.

I just completely week four day two. I will finish by the end of June!

Visit my blogs!

Health and Fitness: http://meaningfulactivity.blogspot.com/

Lifestyle blog: www.thesongsontheway.com

"No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore strengthen your tired hands and weakened knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated,but healed instead." -Hebrews 12:11-13

• vjhappy Rookie 60 posts since
    Mar 17, 2007
    43. Jun 2, 2012 5:53 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)
    Re: C25K - Started in May

Hey everyone!  I took a couple of days off to rest my knees and completed W3D2 at the track today.  My left knee got tight during most of the intervals and loosened some in the end.  I took a good 20 minutes afterwards to stretch and RICE'ed when I got home.  The knee feels really good now, but I'm going to continue to monitor it for Monday.

The good news is that I feel like I progressing.  In the beginning, my right ankle was tight in the same way as my knee was today, but that's pretty much gone now.  Now, even though I felt winded after the 3 min jog intervals, i still did it!  I just have to keep taking it slow, make sure my knees are improving with each workout & RICE afterwards.  I'm going to also add strength training to my program to improve my jogging.

Glad to see everyone is keeping at it!

V

• gatorgirl28 Amateur 13 posts since
    May 5, 2012
    44. Jun 4, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to vjhappy)
    C25K - Started in May

Glad to see that you feel like you are progressing vjhappy! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Looks like your body is getting stronger each time you run too.

I'm still taking it easy. I am in no need to rush, so repeating week 3 yet again just because I still don't believe I am ready to hit week 4 the way I want to. But that is fine. I run three days a week as the program suggests and I get my alloted time in- been averaging about 20 minutes for each session and I believe I'm running about a mile a session. Just did the first day of week 3 again- and I feel like I am progressing too. Went a little bit slower today for whatever reason, but I'm in no rush. I'm just doing this because I've never enjoyed running/jogging in the first place and because of this program- that has significantly changed.

Still looking forward to week 4- hopefully I'll test those waters next week. Keep sticking with this guys! I know you can do it.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...