Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

819 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2012 9:23 PM by protometal RSS
protometal Pro 124 posts since
Aug 31, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2012 12:11 PM

Light shoes for "support" shoes runner.

Hello!

I currently run in Brooks Adrenaline 11s (and am starting to break in a pair of 12s). They are support shoes and I like them very much. They are comfortable and, since I started wearing them, the knee area pain I had before, when I was wearing "normal" shoes, is gone. While they are great, and I will continue to wear them, they are on the heavy side. It never really bothered me until I started to do some work on the track, where the heft of the shoe became more noticable.

My question is: What are good shoe choices for someone who prefers a support shoe, but would like a lighter shoe as well? Any insight is appreciated!

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 2, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to protometal)
    Light shoes for "support" shoes runner.

The American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine has published a list of stability shoes (of which the Brooks Adrenaline is one) that includes a subset of lightweight stability models. Go to  http://aapsm.org/runshoe.html   and scan down to "Stability Shoes". The models marked with asterisks are lightweight. (The Adrenaline, per the list, is not considered lightweight).

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points