Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

675600 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,985. Jun 1, 2012 6:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

My last run was this past Memorial Day -  Ringing in Hope 5K.  Walked it in a  blistering 41:37 as I am still being careful about my knee.  Pain is mostly gone and I have about 95% full range of motion.  I am planning to the Reno foam run on 9 june while in the area on business.  This will be interesting as its my first obstacle course race I've attempted.  Anyone who has done one of these I welcome any suggestions etc..I'm back to my karate  (althought I cheat on roundhouse kicks still) and will be starting to jog as well as walk this coming week while on vacation to Boston, MA and Portland Me, before flying to Lake Tahoe for the following weekend.

hope everyone is doing well

P.S.  Looking for HM or 10K in the Chicago area weekend of 5/6/7 Oct as I a planning to attend 30th HS reunion and hope to assist my nephew as he attempts the Chicago Marathon. 

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,986. Jun 1, 2012 8:04 PM (in response to Ogr44)

Ogr.... I don't know if you got this the first time -- I somehow got logged out while sending it.

Portland is a nice town, in case you've never been there.   Quite a few nice restaurnats.  About 80,000 people. I'm about 30 miles north.

They have some nice trails and the Back Cove loop. There are some running clubs that use the Back Cove regularly. I think they have Tuesday night 5k runs there each week. Check out Mainetrackclub.com and scroll over "Races" where you can click the tab for calendar. It'll show you the month of June, and you may find something going on the days you're going to be there.  You can also check out Maine Running Company @ 563 Forest Ave. if you're interested. It's a somewhat small store, but they have a well-trained/experienced staff and have a good selection of gear. Their niche is running shoes. They guarantee the fit for 30 days.

Here's hoping for good weather for your visit.

• aluecker Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    2,987. Jun 2, 2012 6:16 AM (in response to az2mn)

az1414 - i have not done the RNR before - this will be my first marathon as i'm new to running.  i have several friends who run it every year so i have been living vicariously.  time to really live.   i'm excited to try a flat course since all of my training is very hilly.  downtown is flat and it looks like a lot of fun!

4/28/12 - Get in Gear 10k Minneapolis - 59:50

5/12/12 - Highline Canal 10k - 58:44

6/10/12 - Garden of the Gods 10 miler - 1:40:41

7/1/12 - Copper Mountain (TRAIL) Half Marathon (my first!) - 2:41:34 (i survived!)

8/11/12 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - TBD

9/22/12 - Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

10/21/12 - St. Louis Rock & Roll Half Marathon

12/2/12 - Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,988. Jun 2, 2012 7:52 AM (in response to aluecker)

Wow, lots of "likes" for the Hal Higdon plan! I've sort of tweaked it just a bit, so I'm running closer to 13 mile runs before my half. A hybrid between Higdon and Galloway.

Debm2011 I'm glad the Dr. is a runner! Its always helps to have the Dr.s understanding of how important running is to you. Good luck with the "thingy" and the calves!

KennethRayhon Cool on the tire flips and obstacle course!

Webpro11 Thanks! (AND thank you again for your support wth my Run For The Critters) October is your marathon, eh? How exciting! I DID run a marathon once...like,  32 years ago! lol But I do remember the sense of amazing accomplishment. I got to run that race in the Calif. redwoods...what a place for a marathon. Wow.

aluecker Nice job on the hills. was it terranss who said hills were like speed work in disguise?? All good. Man, scary about the near misses with cars. Glad I get to run on deserted country roads (just have to watch out for bears) lol

AlfNiner Good luck on the race today!!

Old Coyote SO glad you changed your handle...not a plodder anymore are you, you wiley coyote, you!

Snerb Good luck today!

OshCat Good to see you! Have fun on the 5K today.

az1414 Thanks, re: the half. Best of luck with your 10K this morning!!

Ogr44 Gald to hear you are mending.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,989. Jun 2, 2012 11:46 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

MelodyLea - thanks for the thumbs up! I thought of the name while running South Table Mountain. I looked down and saw coyote scat on the trail, and the image of Coyote trotting the trails came to me.

aleucker - I run roads to get to the trails, too. I'm lucky I can run before most people are up .

I ran Waterton Canyon part way today. The plan was for my wife to run with some slower runners in her club, and I'd run ahead on an out and back, turning around after 35 minutes. After I turned back, I ran into Runner Girl and one of her clubmates still going out, who had decided to go long today instead of turning back. So, I walked with my wife and her friend, running ahead for 5 minutes then turning around to meet them again. They ran some, and I'd go slow with them, then mix it up and go faster for a couple minutes.With all the back and forth I did 8 or 9 miles. It was warm at the start (75 or so) but a little breeze came up, and it ended up being a nice spring day in the Rockies.

The bighorn sheep in that canyon are so used to people that they've been known to lick the sweat off a runner's calves. I try not to get that close (a mischievous head butt from a lamb can leave a pretty good bruise) but they were out en masse on the road today.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,990. Jun 2, 2012 12:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Decided to go do the 10k this morning, as the weather looked fair. It wasn't raining when we left, but as I was finishing my warmups and heading to the start line, it started. It didn't get too bad, though, but it was a little cool - 52 degrees - as the race course took us right along the ocean. Also, the final mile or so was through a campground, and the course included some trail running, which I was not aware of - the website had a tab to see the course, but it didn't do anything when I checked last night.

All in all, it was a good run. This was only my second 10k, but I beat last fall's time by nearly a minute -- 45:31. I finished 9th overall, but 4th in my age group (50-59)!! So in the top 9 spots were four old men!! By default, I won an apple pie as the third place person left before the awards!!!

Next weekend is a local 5k, so I checked my split around the 5k mark today -- 21:42. I'll try to better that.

Coyote..... Running on our road last week, I saw a large, dead porcupine road kill. Maybe I should create an image of a porcupine running with me and maybe I'll give myself a new name AND go faster!!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,991. Jun 2, 2012 1:58 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Fri  3.47 miles 29 min. Walked to the top of Ecco 3100' and ran to the bottom 2000' fast.   Sat. 12 miles  2 hr 7 min. Ran Pullman creek And Green Cove Trails. Saw two deer. The most beautiful but dangerous trail in the mountains. If you misstep you fall a long way. This is a big white water area. When the water is high you can here the waterfall at the narrows for two miles.

jmsab: great 10k time

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,992. Jun 2, 2012 7:20 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My 10k TRAIL race went well this morning.

The trail is a popular trail near downtown that is half groomed and half rugged.

EVERYONE dreads the 'killer hill' .....which comes within the first mile!!

If it's your first time running this race or you haven't train well, it can really drain you, most tend to walk this. 

This was a 5k and a 10k trail race and EVERYONE has to run the 'killer hill'.

Thank goodness for my hill repeats, I ran up without stopping!!  Another one around mile 3 but not as steep and shorter.

Felt sluggish the first 4 miles which seems pretty typical in my training and racing, so I took one minute walk breaks after every 10 minutes.  Finally caught my 'second wind' and stepped up my pace the last two miles and finished strong, passing about 10 other runners. 

My finished time was 58:00 minutes, kinda slow in comparison to my last 10k trail race which was around 52 minutes.  I consider 5k and 10k 'sprint races' and I'm not much of a sprinter but these 'short races' do help in my speed training. Between the two, I prefer the 10k. The longer the distance, the better I tend to feel about my pace .......... and the money I spend for the races, LOL!!

I think I came in 6th place in my age group ............lots of tough hard core 50+ yr old trail runners around here who can still kick butts!! 

I scheduled a massage afterwards but had about 2 hours for my appt so I went to the athletic club and did some core exercises, weights, and yoga stretches.......... with the massage afterwards, I feel absolutely relaxed and no fatigue/muscle aches ........ wow!!

Gonna ride my harley bike tomorrow with some friends .......... great way to end the weekend!! 

Hope everyone did well and having a glorious weekend!!

Trail runner

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    2,993. Jun 2, 2012 9:26 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I jogged 8 miles, week 5 of Higdon. Water breaks are a blessing but it's really hard for me to restart after stopping during miles 6-7. After comparing my time with 10 mile races like the Cherry Blossom...I wouldn't be last but pretty close

• Martin Goodwin Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 2, 2012
    2,994. Jun 2, 2012 10:15 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran today, 3.5k running the rain, wet and cold but it was good, so much better than sitting inside on the couch...

I get my 5 K training information from this site. If you need a couch to 5 k training guide, you can go this site and get one here!

• Luci777 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 14, 2012
    2,995. Jun 3, 2012 12:53 AM (in response to quikyerp)

That sounds awesome! 8 miles is a long run...I am at about the same level right now...training for the half marathon in October.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,996. Jun 3, 2012 3:59 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

18.5 miles 2 hr 35 min. Ran down Ecco to Stoney Mt and back. Rock formations on stoney mt. are unbelieveable.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,997. Jun 3, 2012 4:30 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Thanks Melody Lea. 

Nice races az1414 and jmsab23.

Ogr - have fun in Boston and Portland.  They are both great cities. I haven't been to Portland in a couple of years, but Boston is definitely a very walking (and running) friendly city.

Old Coyote - sounds like an incredible place for a run!  Bighorn sheep sound like much more fascinating scenery than my suburban squirrels and the occasional wild turkey. 

I "ran" the Lahey Clinic 5K yesterday in the pouring rain.  A friend and I had been  planning to run it together.  I went out really slowly. Unfortunately, my calf was not ready for even a really slow 5K despite all the rest, massage, and taping it had last week - it locked up tight as can be right around 1 mile.  I walked the final 2.1.  I could have given up at the turnaround (5k required 2 loops around the park) but for better or for worse I am not one to quit.  Coming in last wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  There was a woman that I caught up with who was walking and we chatted until the finish line (which we did run across).   So it was a "pleasant" stroll in the rain.  RICE did its magic and it's back to the physical therapist tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the great posts. I am grateful  for all the  motivation and inspiration.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,998. Jun 3, 2012 6:05 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Finally a super strong 5 mile run since my 10K last Sunday. Too bad last Sunday wasn't cool and crisp like today. A great run and sweet day with my family!

Old Coyote That is so cool about the mountain sheep!

jmsab23 Sounds like a fantastic run and congrats on the outstanding times.

Martin Goodwin NHLA and igotwings *High Fives*!

az1414 Fantastic race! I love hearing about the walk breaks and still the awesome time.

Debm2011 That is some impressive "gutting it out"!! Good for you, and hang in there with the recovery.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2,999. Jun 3, 2012 7:12 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Debm2011 Your positive attitude is amazing. Way to tough it out. Have your ever tried Hammer Recoverite? It really helps me with muscle soreness & quick recovery, You can google it to read me.

Tonight I had a great 6 mile run. It was still very hot & humid. But thats normal in FL this time of the year.

Congrats to all who posted race results.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Actions

More Like This