Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

46480 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 18 Previous Next
  • Taurus12 Amateur 27 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 1, 2012 7:34 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Motivation is so key and you will get it here! I started C25K to get fit and boy has it worked. I love the C25K and via the forums here and reading Runners World magazine I was able to get the correct shoes to run in (I supinate badly) and also found out I am gluten intolerant. I have not run on a treadmill, I have always run outdoors but I would like to try that someday. I started out running by time and not distance and boy was I surprised when I switched over to distance and I found out I was covering a lot more ground than I thought. No matter what your pace is the fact that you are getting up and doing something for your health is wonderful. 5K's are a great distance race to shoot for and yep even if you walk a 5K you still finish so keep moving and keep it fun.

• Missouristar Amateur 13 posts since
    May 28, 2012
    16. Jun 1, 2012 8:51 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I'm on W1D3.  I never in a million years thought I would be doing this and actually liking it!  I'm a 62 year old woman and about as unathletic as they come.  I haven't been completely sedentary - I walk and do yoga.  So far I'm keeping up just fine.  I've already increased my pace.  It's so nice to have this community of newbie runners.  Sometimes experienced runners can be a little intimidating and yes, even condescending.  Glad for this support group!

• happyhippybaby Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012
    17. Jun 1, 2012 10:25 AM (in response to Missouristar)
    June C25K Starters

I'm brand new here, and couch potato is an understatement for me at this point. lol I'm a 34 yr old single, student mama to 5 kiddos (14, 13, 9, 7, and 4) and have spent the last 15 years caring for everyone but myself. I am really to start putting me first so I can be around for a long, long time for my kids. My 13 yr old daughter and I have decided to start the c25k program today. Wish us luck.

• MumRun1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012
    18. Jun 1, 2012 9:28 PM (in response to flamomof3)
    June C25K Starters

Hello everyone,

I did the first day today and loved it.  I have a niggly injury that can flare up, so am hoping it behaves itself so I can do this program.

Looking forward to the rest of the program (she says on day 1!!!)  Ask me how I feel later in the week!!

Good luck!

• smiler123 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 2, 2012
    19. Jun 2, 2012 2:12 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Hi very new to running. suprised myself by actualy enjoying it. on W1D3 so far so good, aiming for a 5k in 7 weeks i prob won't be able to run whole 5k by then but i'm going to try,

Apr 6, 2012
    20. Jun 2, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to smiler123)
    June C25K Starters

Hi smiler123, you don't have to run to finish that 5K anyway so just set your mind to finishing. There's always time to work on speed later. Welcome to the world of running and glad to see you are enjoying it and the C25K!  I wish you well.

• BREAKOFDAY Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 2, 2012
    21. Jun 2, 2012 5:13 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Hi all,

My name is Dawn and I've just finished reading everyone's posts and I feel motivated.  I made the mistake last fall trying to keep up with the group for a Ragnar Relay and learned very quickly- I was not prepared.  As a result, I'm ready to move forward and hope to compete in this years' relay in November. My 1st goal is to complete the Elvis 5K in August.  It will be hot, humid and miserable but I say - BRING IT ON

Thanks for being great supporters. I look forward to keeping each other motivated in the weeks to come.

Gotta go start W1D1 right now. 

• ShortRunner14 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 31, 2012
    22. Jun 2, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to BREAKOFDAY)
    June C25K Starters

Hi everybody, I'm brand new to running and really Coach Potato is a very accurate way to describe my current fitness level. My screen name is a little optimistic.  I have a lot of weight to lose too!  I just finished W1D2 and am surprised how much I love it!  I was surprised as well that even though I can't jog as long or as much as the program wants, I still improved a teeny bit day 2. Day 1 was perfect weather and easy to run, today day 2 was pouring rain and I had to dodge puddles and cars so I was sure I did much worse.  Really really surprised I didn't. Wish me luck to finish!  I'm hoping my bad knee doesn't keep me from finishing. 

• smiler123 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 2, 2012
    24. Jun 4, 2012 2:09 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I've just competed day W1D3 too and feel great. used the podcast as recomended on another website (http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html & http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm) used the first one today and really enjoyed it good tempo music matchs the pace and changes and beeps at set intivals. I too thought of myself this morning and left hubby to sort out breakfasts whilst i ran around my local park, felt good and will definatly be doing it again as they didn't even seam to noticed i had gone hehe.

• acsasko Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Jun 4, 2012 6:14 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I'm a teacher on summer vacation (yay!) and my goal for the summer is to complete C25K.  This morning (my first day of freedom) I did W1D1, so I'd love to join you guys!  I'm in Houston, so I'm going to be going early in the morning before the heat is too oppressive.  My husband leaves for work before six, so I'm awake anyway!

• Missouristar Amateur 13 posts since
    May 28, 2012
    26. Jun 4, 2012 9:15 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Just did W2D1.  I was a little nervous since this is the first day of a new level, but I found I could handle it easily.  I'm already feeling an increase in stamina.  Yesterday I took the dog for a walk and usually crap out at about 1.5 miles.  I wasn't ready to quit by then and did another .5 miles.  Good for me and the dog!  I "came out" to my family this weekend and the response was mixed.  My sister flat out told me I was crazy, but grudgingly said she'd come and cheer me on for my first 5k.  My DIL was encouraging, but concerned that I would injure myself (she didn't say it, but I think my age concerns her!).  Thankfully DH has been onbaord from the start and told me to go out and buy some good running shoes, no matter what they cost.  But I think my biggest encouragement will be coming here.  I love hearing about women who have started out barely running 60 seconds and who are now doing 5k's - and more!

• mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Jun 4, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I'm so glad I found this thread.  I've started C25K twice before and only made it through the first few weeks.  My daughter and I just started again on 6/1.  She's ten and could be in better shape (like mother like daughter).  I realized I wasn't setting a great example so I asked her to try this with me.  We did W1 D2 yesterday.  She's been great about motivating me.  I would love to run a 5K with her in the fall but I'm not quite ready to commit to that yet. 

• Boopala Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    28. Jun 4, 2012 7:00 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Well I finished my W1D1 workout today. Of course today had to also be the hottest it has been in a long while but I still got out there and ran. I wasn't able to run all of the time that I was suppose to but I figure at least I was out there trying. I am hoping that my legs feel ok tomorrow. I know last time I tried to do a running program I ended up with my shin splints and that put a damper on my next workout and I just ended up getting discouraged. Does anyone know what the best type of shoes for running are, for example brand name? I am looking for possibly buying a new pair of shoes to help me through this program and trying to avoid any injuries. Well here is hoping W1D2 is as successful as W1D1!!! 

Apr 6, 2012
    29. Jun 4, 2012 7:08 PM (in response to Boopala)
    Re: June C25K Starters

Congrats Boopala on your first day. As far as the best type of running shoe, that is really up to personal taste and a number of factors such as your stride and foot type. If you can get to a professional shoe store like Lukes Locker or a place in your area that specializes in the running sports, have them analyze your footstrike and arch type. Bring an old pair of shoes to show them the wear pattern. I used to run with pain and when I found this site and Runners World, I discovered I was a supinator, which means I run and walk on the outside edges of my feet. I also am a heel striker, which means my heel hits the ground first. Neither of these are optimal and I was guided professionally to several pairs of shoes that would help correct my stride and minimalize injury. If you can afford to, go to your doctor/podiatrist as well. Good luck and great to see you have done your first day!

1 2 3 4 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...