Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

960 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 2:40 PM by rcuriel RSS
JonoF Rookie 1 posts since
May 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 23, 2012 9:49 PM

Best advice for Knee Problem & Running

I recently had knee surgery, removing a screw and clean up athroscopy. The surgery has left some bone on bone areas within my knee.

My question is has anybody got some good advice, remedies, exercises, treatment to help me run again? As yet cartilege cannot be regenerated too well, but technology advancing so quick.

• librazone Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012
    1. Jun 1, 2012 3:49 PM (in response to JonoF)

I had that problem years ago with a split of the articular cartilage in my knee. I laid off running for about a year but walked a lot. Then I resumed running and never had another problem with it. But then everyone is different. I think the best advice is to give it rest from high intensity like running but continue to walk a lot. I have noticed that  a lot of the aches and pains and conditions we develop during running can be adapted to if one does a proper warm up. Good luck.

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    2. Jun 4, 2012 12:33 PM (in response to JonoF)

I tore the meniscus in each knee (right knee one year, left knee the next year) and had arthroscopic surgery on each.  I didn't run for a couple of years as I was: 1) a little nervous about aggravating the injuries; and 2) lazy.  Picked up running regularly again but started slowly.  After all the time off my cardio conditioning was AWFUL so SLOWLY was about all I could do anyway.  However, because I began slowly (jog/walk combination for a month or so), and because I let my knees fully heal before starting to run regularly again, I've never had any knee problems since starting back.  I'm now running faster than I've ever run before (still more of a jog) and doing more miles per week than ever (though still not much at 20-25 mpw). 

I can't emphasize enough the importance of starting slowly but also doing it consistently.  It sounds like you may have had a little more of a knee problem than I did so I don't want to suggest doing something that may prove harmful (especially since I'm not an orthopod).  I'm not too sure how recent your surgery was and I took a bunch of time off, which I do believe really helped.  But if you begin to run and start to feel pain (more than a little discomfort), I wouldn't push it. Also, many people suggest icing sore joints so that is probably a good place to start.  You may also want to run in a knee brace or some other knee support product.

Good luck. 

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    3. Jun 4, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to raf66)

Almost 15 years ago, I tore the meniscus in what I considered my "good" knee.  I opted for artho because the cartilage would catch every now and then.  When they went in they found extensive wear spots (described to me as holes in my cartilage).  I was advised to not do any impact sports or my knees would wear out in half the time and if I was good they might last 20 years before I needed replacement.  So, they asked me at the time if I wanted them to drill to encourage cartilage growth and I said yes (didn't know better and was groggy from the sedation).  I'm still not sure if that was a good or bad decision, but my knee didn't feel right for a good 3 years.  I did try to run some during those first 5 years and my knee protested every time.  Running wasn't realistic to me and I stopped running for many years.

When I turned 50 I started running in Vibrams.  My knees feel better than they have in years, but the style of running is completely different.  I used to be a horrible heel striker and now I run with a forefoot/midfoot strike.  This style requires time and patience (I'm not very patient ;-)  Consequently I have quite a few setbacks, calf musle pulls and strains, achilles tendoniopathy, morton's neuroma, etc.  But, my knee hasn't been the problem.  Don't know if my knee will last an additional 5 years, but they feel good right now.

Good luck.

Ray

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...