Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577709 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 199 200 201 202 203 ... 327 Previous Next
  • AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,000. Jun 3, 2012 7:18 PM (in response to MelodyLea)
    My last run was...how was yours?

jmsab and az1414 - some great times! awesome job.

Debm2011 - quitters never win and winners never quit.

Melody - sometimes one has a great day and sometimes not so much...wouldnt it be great if we could schedule our great days during the races?   That was certainly the case for me saturday....Race Report!

NHLA - 18.5 miles; very impressive!

Last sunday i racked up 12miles in decent time 1hr48, no stopping and felt good. Yesterday at the 57th Annual Fontana Days Run, i had an "ok" run, but sadly not great or good. I started feeling it into mile 11 and weakly decided to stop briefly a few times before crossing at 1hr58m. Overall it was a great race; seeing how they block freeway exits, city streets and it starts at a campground (3300' Elev)....they limit it to 1200 people, so it's a decent but small crowd. The first 6+ miles is downhill and leads one out of the mountain valley with a nice view!  On the bus ride up (from finish line registration/gathering) i heard a guy say the downhill course gives you a minute per mile (I thought, 'no way, that seems like too much).  The 7 miles that follow the canyon are on road crossing down across major highways straight into the center of Fontana (1250' elev). Not "scenic" and the straight run down from there was a tad monotonous. I was fidgety, my HR monitor at mile 2-3 started dropping from normal 160s  to 130 120 90.....?? so i tried adjusting, tightening and cleaning/drying while i ran...sure enough it got back to normal....then i couldnt get some good music out of my nano, i must have hit shuffle like a million times....then around mile 9 i finally lost a lense to my already broken shades. I think one of my kids sat on them, but i said i'd use them until i lost a lense...so i must have looked like a pirate running w only one lense from that point on.   AND at about mile 9 i also realized i had forgotten to put on my nipple band aids..oh oh..... I had some overall leg tiredness by the time i crossed the line...but i treated myself to 2 oranges, a banana, 2 granola bars, 2 waters, a cupcake.....that was in the first 6 minutes, then a bit later i bought a monster Red Robin burger w diet coke. I was happy to have found two friends from the gym that i knew also signed up. One girl, slammed out a 1hr48m on her first Half, and the other a 2hr08m on her first; also a great job.  The schwag was nice, tech shirt awesome, had some energry goodies, cool medal AND a pin to add to my work bag.  So much for shaving 1 min per mile....yeah right, but overall i'm happy; 4th Half completed. Now back to HILLS!  After a shower i hit the pool for about 200m in laps followed by hot tub and reading....

today the family and i visited grandma and we went for a small hike and lunch.  I had to walk backwards coming down hills; easier on the legs.

stay active my friends

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• aluecker Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    3,001. Jun 3, 2012 8:39 PM (in response to AlfNiner)

alfniner - wow, you had every possible distraction during that race and you still finished strong.  thanks for the band aid reminder.  i need to put some in my car for next weekend before i forget.

oldcoyote - how are the trails in waterton?  i thought that area was closed, but maybe just to car traffic?  i think i need to hit up a run over there sometime soon.  i'm going to see if those trails are available on mapmyrun.

i ran 5 this morning and it was a pretty good run.  i had to run ASAP after waking up b/c my husband needed to be somewhere (and i needed him to watch the kids while i ran), so honestly, it was like i didn't let my body wake up enough before i started.  the first 2 miles i felt SO stiff.  blech.  i hate that.  anyway, i did 5 hilly miles in 50:46.

i have a 10 miler next sunday so just light runs this week.  the race starts at 7am and is about an hour away from me.  ack.  i'll be up early that day and getting some food and coffee in me during the drive.

for any other new runners out there, i installed runners ally's pace calculator app on my ipad.  i love that it tells me projected times for race distances (based on previous times) and also suggested training times for different types of training.  it helps me figure out what my pace should be on my training runs which really helps this noobie.

4/28/12 - Get in Gear 10k Minneapolis - 59:50

5/12/12 - Highline Canal 10k - 58:44

6/10/12 - Garden of the Gods 10 miler - 1:40:41

7/1/12 - Copper Mountain (TRAIL) Half Marathon (my first!) - 2:41:34 (i survived!)

8/11/12 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - TBD

9/22/12 - Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

10/21/12 - St. Louis Rock & Roll Half Marathon

12/2/12 - Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,002. Jun 4, 2012 4:07 AM (in response to AlfNiner)

Alfniner: I wish I had been there to call bullshit on that guy about one min. faster downhill.  When I got a nike+ the biggest surprize I had was how slow I ran downhill. You actually run one min or more slower than on flat ground going down a steep hill. Run a race pace 5k on flat, run a 5k downhill, run a 5k uphill, and a 5k 1/2 downhill and 1/2 flat. You will be surprized at the results. I ran a 5k down Ecco Mt last week as hard as I could and cought myself arguing with my watch. Don't argue with your watch.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,003. Jun 4, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

az1414 - Great job! 58 minutes is not easy in a trail 10.

aleucker - Waterton opened a few weeks ago. It's a dirt access road for Denver Water so it's closed to all other traffic. They've added vault toilets and picnic tables, but carry your own water. Go figure. It's just over 5k to the Marston diversion dam; and 6.6 miles all the way, so you have a convenient 10k or half. Uphill out; downhill back. The trails in the canyon tend to turn into sheep trails, and they can climb places I can't

After trying on a dozen pair of shoes and researching a dozen more over the last month, I bought a pair of New Balance Minimus MR20 road shoes this weekend. I tried them out this morning, and love them. They're a 4mm drop shoe, with some cushioning. I can feel the difference in my lower legs after a 3.7 mile test run this morning. I really like these shoes. They encourage a midfoot strike without overly punishing the occasional heel. They're discontinued, and I got the last pair in my size, half off - $50.00. Then a 15% running club discount, and I have a new pair of tires for $42.50! Who cares about the color.

My wife bought a pair of Altra Intuitions (the men's is called Instinct). She wore those for a 6 miler Saturday and never wanted to take them off. They're a zero drop with good cushioning, very soft and comfortable. Unfortunately, they just don't fit my foot shape. On our Waterton run Saturday, we saw the guy that sold her those shoes coming down, and he recognized us and his eyes dropped to her shoes. The running community is a small world...

In the words of Dale Evans, Happy trails to you!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,004. Jun 4, 2012 6:23 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Posted a 25:50 for my 5k trail run.  It's an excellent trail too.  I'm happy with that time, it's better than my time from last year's event.

I finished right in the middle overall for Men, 11 out of 21.  In my age group they got me on a bit of a technicality.  They bumped me to the 40-49 age group even though I'm still 39 for a while (lots of age jokes there, lol).  If I would have been in the 30-39 group I would have placed 2nd, as it was shown I was 4th out of 10 for the 40-49 runners.  The age grouping is based solely off your birth year with no consideration for your birthday month.  Oh well, I don't run to win anything and I'm only 'racing' myself and the clock.

AZ1414 - Ditto on the HD ride.  After my morning race I jumped on the bike and went for a nice afternoon ride.

Old Coyote - I'm envious of the running scenery

Congrats to all who finished their races and their runs.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    3,005. Jun 4, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to quikyerp)

igotwings & ozzimo: Thank you! Nice to meet you both

My last run was my half and it was AWESOME!! I think I trained much much better - couldn't help but train better since I race almost every month I am not allowed to slack off lol. Anyway, I posted to the girls in my running group that I really think what worked for me this year aside from very consistent training is that I took two days off running, I didn't run Thurs or Fri. My close friends know how hard it is for me to NOT run, the only times I don't run is if I'm sore for a few days after a race or I'm really sick, so not running when I was antsy before the race and felt GREAT was really really hard. Most training plans suggest that you either run really really slow and easy for 1-2 miles two days before and then don't run at all the day before. I also carb loaded a bit most of the week in addition to a big dinner with all the girls the night before - and I had a game plan for fueling during the half. Last year I didn't have a fuel belt, carry water, or carry blocks and I probably only grabbed water at 3 water stations the whole run. This time I wore my fuel belt, had 2 packages of blocks, and ate 2 before the race, one at mile 4, one at mile 7, and one at mile 9. I never felt bad - after not running for two days I was just so happy to be running, and with the downhill course and cool temps at the start, I couldn't have asked for a better place to do it! My sportband was behind in mileage the whole way so my next question to experts is going to be a suggestion for a good gps watch that isn't huge (garmin?) or freakishly expensive. I finished in a 1:37.52 and seriously thought the clock was busted when I saw it. Best weekend ever! I am stoked for my marathon in Oct because compared to last year, this year was a breeze. Marathon pace won't be anywhere near this, I think I'm going to run with a pace group so hopefully it will be easy to run consistently.

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

Feb 6, 2011
    3,006. Jun 4, 2012 8:12 AM (in response to Snerb)

Snerb - I am convinced the only reason I rank decently in races is because I'm 'old' lol. I'm toward the end of the 35-39 age group - at my half this weekend I came in 10th for AG and 30 for gender, 124 overall in a field of 1025. I think the fastest woman was in one of the 20s age group and I'm sure I saw one or two in the 14-19 group as well. It's hard to compete with the younger ones so I'm grateful for age divisions. My daughter (who is 8) and her friends are really funny sometimes - they'll say 'mommy, did you win?' and when I tell her how I did, she feels bad because I didn't lol. I tell her that  PR is considered a win and when you run with over a thousand other people, that's still very good. . Two of my friends ran their FIRST half this weekend and one ran under 2 hours - 1:57!! I'm extremely proud of her because she was worried she couldn't make 13 miles. Next year I am going to convince her to do a full....

ALatteCrazy

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

Feb 6, 2011
    3,007. Jun 4, 2012 8:18 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

Old Coyote: I have NB too - I met a guy who works at the outlet down the hill at a race a few months ago and now I see him regularly at races around town. We chat occasionally on facebook and he always asks me how I'm liking my shoes. I was a Nike-only runner for years but I think NB has more room in the toebox and I wore them at my last race. I wish shoes didn't wear out so quickly, it takes less than a month to put 100 miles on them and four months comes up quickly when you're not paying attention. I started running trails too so I think my shoes will only get more thrashed as time goes on.

ALatteCrazy

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    3,008. Jun 4, 2012 11:36 AM (in response to ALatteCrazy)

Snerb - great time for a 5k Trail!

alatte - wow; amazing time for that Half! awesome job; shaved 11min off your time. And it sounds like your "plan" paid off. I dont nearly eat or drink as much as you did; i had my usual pre-race energybar squish thingamajig, a handful of honey stingers, but not whole pack (i also love clif bloks) and about 12-14oz of water (one 10oz fuel belt hand bottle [love it] and a couple of cups while on the run).  I guess next time i'll buy the burger at the start.

as for gps watch, check the gear/equipment chat/thread; lots of good info. But if you search in this thread, you'll find lots of advice. Several folks here use the Garmin 305? that bigger one; i bought the Garmin FR210; smaller, and does exactly what i need it for (other than that heart rate glitch i experienced).

cheers

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,009. Jun 4, 2012 2:57 PM (in response to ALatteCrazy)

ALatteCrazy:  INCREDIBLE finish times!!  CONGRATS on your PR, that is AWESOME!!  Your marathon should be a 'breeze' !!!

Where do you live?  I see you have races coming up which are in UT; been wanting to run (no pun intended, haha!) next door (UT/NV) for some races but schedule conflicts ........

I just hope to have a 1:50 at some point for a HM finish which at 52, I would be ecstatic about!!  LOL!! 

Had a 1:42 as my PR from a few years ago but my best time since then has been 1:52, both were HM TRAIL races which I prefer. 

YOU ARE DOING AMAZING!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,010. Jun 4, 2012 3:13 PM (in response to Snerb)

Snerb:  THANKS!!  That is a great 5K finish on your race!!  From one biker/runner to another: ride and run, run and ride safe and happy!!

Old Coyote:  So glad you changed your name!!  And THANKS!!  From one trail runner to another: rugged technical trails are a workout but this race had both groomed from the beginning for about 1.5 miles and in between, it's rugged for most of the way; being that's its an in and out trail race, you finish back on the groomed trail.  I actually don't train on this particular trail, don't know why.  But I found that I love the rugged trails more as I find myself 'enjoying' the scenery, thus slowing down when I hit groomed trails!! Is that weird or what??? Probably the reason why my pace is slower too?

aluecker:  I am thinking of running the RnR in Denver .......... would be great if my business takes me there during that time .....

Alfniner:  WOW!! impressive on your determination!!  A great story to share from now on!!  Had to laugh about the 'pirate' look!!  CONGRATS on your 4th HM!! 

Trail runner

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,011. Jun 5, 2012 6:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Alfniner - Another shout-out for a dogged race.

Hit the trail at 5 this morning, up South Table Mountain. I started my run as the full moon dominated the western sky. Sunrise at 5:30, with tangerine colored cirrus clouds exploding with the dawn. This old coyote didn't see his namesake this morning, or any mountain lions (or tigers or bears - OH MY!), but I did have to share the trail with 3 mule deer and a baby rabbit.

Oh, yeah, the run: 5 miles, more or less, 48 minutes. I ran the entire uphill portion, 13:00.

You know, I feel so good that I've decided to enter a fall marathon. This will be my first. I have about 20 weeks to prepare. My goal is not to just "finish", but to finish well. That means increasing my mileage, first off. I should be at 40/week by the end of July, with long runs at 17-18 miles. Plenty of time for an October full.

Happy trails to you!

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    3,012. Jun 5, 2012 7:52 AM (in response to jmsab23)

Jmsab23 congrats on your 10k PR!  especially with it being rainy and wet.  WTG!!!

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    3,013. Jun 5, 2012 10:10 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I've been living vicariously through y'all for the past two weeks. It always seems that just as I start getting into a grove things come up. First it was a big project at work (which has now been scraped since our manager got back from vaca.) second it was chest pain from some inflammation in/around my lungs. Got out early yesterday morning and did a three mile walk. I'm a little more than 14 weeks out from my first half. I have a tendency to burn out real quick with my training and work schedule, but with my lung issue I'm giving myself permission to walk this week and next. Hopefully I can keep up this early morning routine it's actually kind of nice not to roll out of bed and head straight to work. Unfortunately I can only walk outside that early two days a week or three if you count Saturday. So tomorrows walk will be on the treadmill. Blech!

Love reading everyone's posts!

Keep pushin'!

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    3,014. Jun 5, 2012 2:50 PM (in response to CKLindsay)

My first running jacket finally came back from the Nike Return/Exchange department but probably won't run in it for a while because it's summer. I went to the trails and found out half of it was flooded so I left the trails and ran around 2.75 of my usual route. All that flooding got my socks wet

Anyone know of races coming up above 5k in the Maryland area?

Linday - Hope you lungs get better. Sorry to hear you have to be on a treadmill!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...