Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20783 Views 109 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 2:17 PM by KHT2012 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Previous Next
  • nerudathedog Amateur 13 posts since
    May 18, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jun 4, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to gatorgirl28)
    C25K - Started in May

I'm starting week 4 today. A little apprehensive about it, but I was apprehensive about week 3, too, and I managed that. I'll repeat if I have to. (gatorgirl, I just realized that I hit reply to your post, so it might look like I'm directing this at you--I'm not! Just updating in general.) I've decided to put my stubborn streak to work FOR me rather than AGAINST me...

Hope you're all keeping at it!

• Pandarius Rookie 5 posts since
    May 17, 2012
    46. Jun 4, 2012 3:07 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

I just repeated week 4, and I'm about to start week 5. I'm really excited. I've really noticed a change in how I feel. I have more energy and my mood is generally happier. I've also noticed that my blood pressure went down, and I just feel really great. I love c25k!!! <3

• vjhappy Rookie 60 posts since
    Mar 17, 2007
    47. Jun 4, 2012 7:30 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

W3D3 done! My left knee continues to be tight, loosens up towards the end of the run, & tightens during the cool down.  I concentrated my stretch on my knees afterwards.  It's funny because it's only the left that's giving me trouble.  I'll keep monitoring it for a few days.  Cardiovascularly, I was huffin' & puffin' after the 3 min jogs, but I recovered better than last time.

Gatorgirl, how many times have u repeated Week 3?  I'm thinking about doing it again until my knee feels better.

Neru, how did it go?

Pandarius, congrats on the changes!

V

May 18, 2012
    48. Jun 4, 2012 7:37 PM (in response to vjhappy)
    C25K - Started in May

It went great--I was totally ready for it, no matter what my head was telling me. And now I have no excuses for w4d2 and d3.

Congratulations on finishing Week 3, vj!

• gatorgirl28 Amateur 13 posts since
    May 5, 2012
    49. Jun 4, 2012 9:11 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

First congratulations to you nerudathedog, pandarius, and to you too vj. So glad that all of you are enjoying yourself- to me, that's what matters the most out of all this. Sure it's great to work hard and work with program but you got to have fun at the same time or else you're not going to like it. Keep it up everyone!

Vj- This is the second time I'm repeating week 3. I'm not afraid of week 4- in fact, I really want to do week 4; however, I know I'm not quite ready yet. I'm definitely going to tackle week 4 next week though. I want to take it easy and let my body tell me when it's ready to move on. The beginning of week 3 is easy for me, but I start to get tired towards the end. Which is a good sign but I know that if I'm going to comfortably hit week 4 the way I want to- I had to repeat week 3 once again. So... that's why this is technically my third time doing week 3.

• betharoo23 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 24, 2012
    50. Jun 5, 2012 3:48 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hello!

I started C25K  May 7th.... I actually did a training week before hand, because I read it wrong mostly, so I started with 30 seconds jog 90 seconds walk... but even that was really hard for me...

Today is my birthday (i'm 29 now lol) and We are starting what is officially week 4 today... (our 5th week).

I like to think of my fiancee as a gazelle, he is tall, thin, was a runner (heck, is a runner still!) LOL and I look like an overweight pomeranian struggling to keep up (my dog).

But, I give myself credit... I ran for 3 minutes each time this week and it was awesome (afterwards).

My question for all of you is, we run outside, and he just uses his watch for the stop/start times. I know he goes a lot further than me (sometimes I lose sight of him when he goes around the block or whatever).

How do you measure your distances outside? Nothing is marked. I did switch it up once when he had to work over and did the treadmill, which I thought was a lot easier (no hills) but I don't think it was very accurate of what I'm actually doing every day.  I promised him I'd run a 5K with him when this is all done, but I don't want to let him down.

Okay, trying not to psych myself out about today's running plan...5 minutes seems like a big jump when 3 minutes was pretty tough...

Also, do most ppl end up having to repeat a week? I'm telling myself it'll be there when I start the week, but that voice of doubt always tells me I'm wrong hahaha

Good work people!

• solavig Amateur 36 posts since
    May 30, 2012
    51. Jun 5, 2012 4:15 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Thanks for sharing a news with all of us.

• NimbleUakari Rookie 3 posts since
    May 19, 2012
    52. Jun 5, 2012 6:57 AM (in response to nerudathedog)
    C25K - Started in May

Congrats on finishing w4d1! 

I completed w4d1 yesterday, and even though I was really nervous about it, I made it through!  Actually, I was so worried about the 5 minute interval that the 3 minute interval seemed like nothing!  For the first 5 minute interval, I focused on getting to 3 minutes, and the rest of the interval was "downhill", so to speak. As you pointed out, now that I have Day 1 under my belt, day 2 and 3 should be less scary!

Keep going, everyone!

• Centari Amateur 12 posts since
    May 6, 2012
    53. Jun 6, 2012 5:57 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi everyone!

Congrats to everyone on Week 4!   It has been 2 weeks since I did any running   

I went to my doctor and I have been told not to jog or run for at least a month.  I got shin splints in my left leg and did something else to my right leg.

But I have been using the exercise bike and the D@mn elipticall machine.  The first day I only managed 4.5 min on the eliptical and 13.5 min on the bike.  Today I really did not want to exercise at all.   But I dragged my *** into the exercise room.   I biked for 30 mins and used the eliptical for 16 min.  I actually felt great once I got going!  I could have pushed myself further today but I did not over do it and perhaps injure myself again. (I know 16 min may not sound like alot but I used to winded and hurting after 1 min)

I am hoping that I can get up to 30 min on the eliptical and get my legs/knees/calves strong enough to get back to running/jogging.  My knees are still a little sore and ache at times but I feel better and the bike and eliptical is getting easier and I am increasing my endurance on them. 

I also managed to lose about 10 lbs last month.... I haven't lost any weight this last week but my clothles feel a little more comfortable. Maybe getting some muscle?  lol   I got about 13lbs to lose to get to my first weight loss goal.  Once i get there I will only just be really overweight  LOL   I am setting incremental weight loss goals for myself....  baby steps...  it tooks years of investment to get this weight and it will take time and work to get it off.  But I am trying !

Cheers

Hanford

• KHT2012 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 6, 2012
    54. Jun 6, 2012 1:21 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi All! I'm new to the board and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been working the program since May, and just completed W4D1 yesterday. I'm a mom of two little kiddos, 2 1/2 years old and 6 months old, and I started the program to get myself back in shape and be sure I am setting a good example to my kids of what a healthy lifestyle looks like. :-)

I am really having fun with it, although I think I am pretty slow right now. So far, I've been able to stay on the running plan by time, and am using an app on my phone to help with the time durations and to track my overall distance and pace. I usually average around 2.5 miles start to finish, but I have noticed that my overall pace (running/walking) is getting faster and faster...last night I was at an overall pace of 12:30/mile. What is the pace that others are averaging?

Looking forward to getting to know you all better! Keep up the good work!

Kara

• sandwichman Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 18, 2012
    55. Jun 6, 2012 4:49 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Well,

I am new to this site, but am so glad to see many of us "Larger than the norm" runners exist.  I turned 50 in early May, and while I have never been a runner, I am really doing quite well I think.  I started runiing in early January (1 1/2 mile runs 3 times aweek).  I found this to be pretty easy after a couple of weeks and started to log by time instead.  I started off with 30 minute runs (easy pace, no walking) on Tuesday's and Thursday's, and was averaging around a 12:30 pace.  On Saturdays I rann for 45 minutes to an hour still maintaining that same pace.  I ran my first 5K in March in 32:52.  I have since run a couple more and have now gotten into the 30 minute range.  I currently still run 3 days a week (Tuesday & Thursday) for 45-60 minutes, and do long runs (6 miles or more) on Saturdays.  I also do Eliptical training for 45-60 minutes on Monday and Wednesday.  My combined weekly milage averages around 20 miles.  I am training for my 1st Half Marathon on Labor Day.  I really believe that first I can do it, and also believe I wioll finish at around 2 1/2 hours.  I am 6' 4' and currently weigh 265 pounds (I started runiing at around 300 pounds)  I am loving it!  Yes, I feel pain in legs, knees, everywhere, but the joy of accomplishing a goal outweighs the pain.  I found a really good shoe for me and my stride (Brooks Adreniline 12).  These helped a lot.

I will continue to read and learn.

Keep running.   Alan

• gatorgirl28 Amateur 13 posts since
    May 5, 2012
    56. Jun 6, 2012 7:37 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Great to hear from you Hanford, Kara and Alan- and Hanford, same here. Ideally, I am looking to lose about 10 to 15 pounds; however, my immediate goal at the moment is to at least lose 5-8. Baby steps are key steps. You got to crawl before you can learn how to walk, as the old saying goes. Glad to see you are still keeping at it! And really glad to see the progress you are making. You're more than halfway there- keep it up and you'll reach you're goal in no time.

Kara and Alan, that's too cool that you're able to keep track of your pacing. I wish I could say the same for myself, but I just run for time (I have a pretty good idea the amount of distance I'm jogging at the moment) and if I can fill my quota of jogging/walking under 30 minutes then that's what I aim for. However awesome work guys! It's nice to see what everyone has been able to accomplish, and I'm honored to be a part of this program with all of you. Keep it up!

Also- probably had the best jog session as of yet. Repeating week 3 for the second time, though next week I am definitely hitting week 4 (can't wait)!! But had the smoothest jog I've ever had- I'm getting a better idea as to what my stride is and how to maintain proper form, yet the best part is- I was able finish my run in 18 minutes and 42 seconds! This is my fastest time- shaved about 3 minutes off my average. Looking forward to Friday, and looking forward to week 4.

Best to you all!

• aland711 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 19, 2012
    57. Jun 7, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Today I completed W2D2. I run on the paved trail at my towns park. It is 0.6 mile one time around. Today I went around 2 3/4 times. I feel so good! Everyday I keep getting farther and farther! I enjoy getting emails everyday from all of you, it is VERY incouraging for me! Its something I need!!

Now I need motivation to eat healthy everyday!! Its hard for me to stay on a healthy diet because I am an emotional eater and my job is stressful so when lunch time comes around onion rings and a greesy cheeseburger sound good!  Ill eat really great for a few days then I get off track! Its annoying.

Keep up the GREAT work everyone!!

• KHT2012 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 6, 2012
    58. Jun 7, 2012 7:51 PM (in response to aland711)
    C25K - Started in May

Aland--I totally agree about the achievement you feel when you are able to go even a bit further than the day before. Even it is 50-100 meters, it really gets me pumped and makes me want to go even further. Nice job!

May 18, 2012
    59. Jun 8, 2012 8:06 AM (in response to Centari)
    C25K - Started in May

@ Centari, sorry about the injuries--just make sure you take care of yourself so that you don't end up hurting yourself even worse.

Also, welcome to all the new people, and congratulations to everyone who keeps moving along!

I just finished W4D3 and I am SO ready to start week 5 on Monday. Apprehensive, as usual, but the plan hasn't failed me yet. I'm sure at some point I'm going to have to repeat a week, and I'm trying to prepare myself for that--that sort of setback would usually just make me quit, and I want to make sure it doesn't happen this time. I am surprised by how much I'm enjoying this!

Do any of you cross-train on your rest days? I've been doing the C25K M/W/F and the 100 pushups/200 situps plan and walking hills T/Th/Sat. I take Sunday "off," but we've got 2 greyhounds who bug us to take them to the park for a long walk on Sundays, so I'm trying to do at least *something* every day.

Hope you all have a good weekend,

Ruth

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...