Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

840321 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 ... 315 Previous Next
  • PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Welcome CMV07! You have done really well in such a short time. Keep up the good work!

AZ1414, congrats on your race!

MaryKay, you are making such good progress. Be proud of yourself!

I ran 5 miles today with a brief pause mid way to view a bald eagle perched on a rock in the tail waters below the dam. What a beautiful sight to watch this magnificent bird sit patiently waiting for a fish to catch. The weather was a warm 75 degrees but a nice breeze made it comfortable. This is one of my fav places to run as it has a cross country grass/trail area, then an out and back on the ridge of the dam, through a campground picnic area overlooking the lake. Those are concrete and pavement, but the beauty of the run and the opportunity to greet other walkers/runners/ bikers/skaters help make it a fun run. It has a nice mixture of hills and flats.

What are some of your all's favorite places to run?

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

CMV07: Welcome!!  I also subscribe to the Galloway method since I read his book years ago.  You have plenty of time to train and do well for your Sept HM. 

I am also 52 and I truly believe that taking walk breaks during my training runs and racing has kept me running and in better shape than in my 'younger' days.  As a trail runner, I make modifications here and there but it has absolutely improved my overall performance, and most importantly, in addition to maturity and experience, I have learned to focus more on resting and recovering smarter than ever before.  There are many training guides out there and each one of us will find one or a combination of them to work for us due to our uniqueness.  The Galloway philosophy works for me in addition to incorporating other suggestions from recent articles but overll: be patient, consistent and disciplined.  You'll reap the benefits when you are passing 20/30/40 yr olds!!  LOL!!  The look on their faces when they check their times and age of runners who finished before them ....... PRICELESS!!

Trail runner

• Pinoy1 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008

Stage 7 of My Journey (8 to 9 marathons within 365 days) was completed yesterday at the Ojai 2 Ocean Marathon. Event was promoted as a fast course and rated as 7th most likely to qualify for the Boston Marathon because of the gradual downhill from the mountains of Ojai to the beaches of Ventura.  It was no surprised that after 25 minutes from the start time, 700+ of the runners were out of sight and the trail/course was all left to the 75 slow runners like me. My goal was to reach mile 25 (ocean front pathway)  within 5hrs. Street portion of the course will be opened to traffic 5 hrs after the start which is at mile 21 to 25.  Barely made it and crossed the finish line at 5:05:40 with the distinction of being the oldest runner. Since I was the only runner on my age group(70-99), I think the AG medal is mine.

Next stop will be the San Francisco Marathon on July 29.

Congrats to all and good luck to those on training.

Personal Record @ Age 69

5K - 25:24

5M - 42:19

10K - 53:47

Half Marathon -1:57:43

Full Marathon - 4:42:49 @ age 68

The Journey:

1. 10/09/2011 - Long Beach Marathon ........ 4:48:00

2. 11/06/2011 - Santa Clarita Marathon ....... 5:07:06

3. 12/04/2011 - California International ........ 4:57:22

4. 01/05/2012 - Surf City Marathon ............. 5:11:57

5. 03/18/2012 - LA Marathon ..................... 5:02:10

6. 05/06/2012 - OC Marathon .................... 5:14:07

7. 06/03/2012 - Ojai to Ocean Marathon ......5:05:40

8. 07/29/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

• DiDi55 Pro 120 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010

I have kept up with reading all of your posts; however; have not posted in a couple of weeks! Yikes....June already!!

The weather here in Ohio has been perfect for running! I believe most of this upcoming week it will be mid 70's. Bright and early Saturday morning (along with my brother) I will participate in a 5k. Proceeds for Autism Awareness.  I feel much stronger at this point than I did last year at this time. We will see what happens come Saturday!

As I read & reflect on all of your posts; I truly am in awe of all of you.  We all have our own reasons for choosing to be runners. We could stop at any time & replace it with another passion; perhaps something that requires less time & effort. Yet we continue to run. Continue to "beat our last time".  Continue to share our triumphs and challenges. Continue to cheer each other on. We all; quite simply; love to run!  With that being said; best of luck to all who are racing this weekend!  Welcome any newbies that have joined our group!  To anyone out there in there who is contemplating starting to run; keep reading these great posts...who knows; you may just be inspired to take that first step!

Started Running August 2008

5 mile race/May 2010 59:00

5 mile race/July 2010 62:00

Half Marathon/September 2010 2:45

5 mile race/May 2011 63:00

Half Marathon 09/24/2011 2:53

5k 03/31/2012 43:00

5k 06/09/2012 41:39.5

If your tired of starting over; stop giving up!

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Hello everyone!!! Long time no log in! LOL

AZ1414~ Congrats on your great race!!

mkayc~ Keep up the good work! You are doing great!

Welcome CMV07!

WebPro~ Looking forward to watching your progress with your Marathon training!

DiDi~ Good luck on your 5K! I did a 5K for Autisum Awareness 2 weeks ago! I love to do races that benefit such great causes!

Piony1~Congratulations! 9 Marathons in 365 days! Awesome!

Marie~ Good to hear from you and so happy that your runs are enjoyable! Your run sounds like it was in a beautiful setting. I do most of my short runs in a park in the city where I live. The city really goes all out to make this park beautiful and runner/walker/biker/and horse rider friendly. There is a beautiful 40 acre lake with 1.25 mile running/walking track around it. It is landscaped beautifully with seasonal flowers, benches and gazeboes all around the park. We also have a 5 mile trail that is wonderful to run on in the hot summer because it is shaded by the beautiful woods that the trail is carved out of. All together you can get in about a 15 mile run in the park without back tracking! It is awesome and we are so very lucky that the mayor of our city is very supportive of the running/walking/biking community. The best thing about running inside the park is that you do not have to worry about traffic! When you get out on the streets, you are the target for everyone on the roads!

I have not been in here in ages! Congrats to all of you who have run races and that are training for fun or for future events. I have been very busy with work so not much time to visit.

I am finally completely well from both my ITBS and my Morton's Neuroma!!! Yippeee!!!! I am running pain free and am back up to about 28 miles per week and shooting for 30-35 for my base before beginning training for my fall/winter events. When I was injured and could not run, I began taking a spin class on Tues and Thurs mornings to keep up my fitness. I also went back to weight lifting. I had lifted weights in the past but when I started running I kind of let them slide by the way side. Once I began running again I was amazed at the difference in my stamina and my foot turnover!!! I have dropped about 1:15 mpm off of my time before my injury! Running is so much easier now. Now do not get me wrong...I am still a turtle, but a faster turtle!!

I was planning on running the St. Judes Marathon in December, but the even opened on May 1st and sold out very quickly! I could have gotten into the Marathon, but I could not find accomodations within 20 miles of the event. Traffic would be horrendous trying to get to the start line and even worse trying to find a place to park so I am going to pass on this even this year as bad as I hate to since I really do love it!

I have decided to concentrate on primarily HM's and work on improving my times in them for awhile. The commitment that it takes to train for and complete a Marathon is huge! It leaves very little time for anything else....so my next FM will probably be Country Music Marathon in Nashville in April 2013! That is if I decide to do another one at all.

On to other news..............I HAD A HOLE IN ONE last Sunday playing golf!!!!

My sweet husband got me a charm braclet for Christmas with a flying foot on it. I had a charm with 13.1 on it that I had bought at St. Jude's last year and I bought a 26.2 charm at the expo in NOLA in March. I had all of these on my braclet. After my hole-n-one my sweet husband surprised me with a hole-n-one charm! We had it put on my braclet yesterday. He told me, you know, you have a very impressive braclet there. He said I would dare say there are not many women out there that has a 13.1, a 26.2 and a hole in one in 6 months!! I think he may be right!!

I have to update my profile, but if anyone is interested this is my schedule for the fall/winter. These are all long events. I will be doing the local 5Ks along. I am going the Mississippi State Games 5K road race next weekend and some other charity 5k's throughout the summer.

9/16/2012  Talladega 21000 HM  (My running club does a group race every year. This will be our group event.)

11/03/12    The Leo Run - HM (A local HM and Marathon benefiting the Lions Club. 1st year for event)

11/11/12     Pensacola HM - Pensacola FL

1/5/13         Mississippi Blues HM - Jackson MS

1/26/13       Gulf Coast HM - Gulf Shores AL

2/24/13       New Orleans RnR HM

3/20/13       Azalea Trail Run 10K - Mobile AL

04/27/2013  Country Music Marathon - Nashville TN

I am so proud of everyone on this wonderful board! Most of us have been around now for several years and we are still going strong and gaining new members everyday.

We are quite impressive if I do say so myself!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Kathy:  Great race times, recovered from your injuries and a hole in one?  This is your year.  Start buying those lottery tickets.

I'm taking one more rest day after last Saturday's HM.  I did small stuff yesterday, little things that I needed to get done, like replacing one of the headlights on my wife's car.  I noticed it last week, but since we took our other car to Iowa over the weekend, we didn't need the car until this week.  I'll do a gym workout today and resume running tomorrow.  We're due to warmer temps as the week goes on, so I'll do a medium-distance run tomorrow morning (5-6 miles) and dial back to shorter distances toward the weekend as the humidity builds up.  Off to Duluth, MN next week for my next HM.

Everybody have a good week of training and enjoying life in general.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

Hi All -

Everyone has been having such neat experiences: Marie watching a bald eagle, Pinoy1 running from the mountains of Ojai to the beaches of Ventura, Kathy  has a 15 mile set of trails within a beautiful, shady park. And then to hit a hole in one to earn a charm for her braclet to go with the 13.1 and 26.2 charms. On top of that, most of us are reporting improvement with aches and pains so they can really enjoy the running days ahead.

I have had my first two track practices and trail practices with my Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training. Many in my team had not done any or much running or walkiing (I am signed up to walk), so those first times were pretty easy for me, but next week we'll up the distance. I am sure that I'll have to push to keep up with the bunch after that. I have no idea how long the streets of San Jose will be kept open for the slow pokes at the San Jose Rock and Roll Half Marathon. I have no idea of what a good time would be. I know that it won't be the kinds of paces that the runners in our list are doing. We need to recruit some more walkers or slow runners so I can have some company.

Phyllis

"I am so proud of everyone on this wonderful board! Most of us have been around now for several years and we are still going strong and gaining new members everyday.

We are quite impressive if I do say so myself!"

I agree

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

Nov 12, 2009

Phyllis

Do not worry about the time. You will be fine. The time limit is 4 hrs. for the HM. In 2011 the last time was 4:15:32.

Also, if you should fall to far behind (which I am sure you will not) they have a sag wagon that will pick you up and drop you off where the last person is on the course.

You will be fine and you are going to do GREAT!!! Just enjoy!

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

2013 Events:

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

• pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

Kathy

Thanks for the encouragement. My 15 year old hip replacements have been anoying me this past week, which has something to do with my wondering if I can do it. If they don't really fall apart, I am planning to make it. Also I got my first significant donation this morning, so that too buoyed my spirits. This group is so kind to me - I like that. thanks to all

Phyllis

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010

" I am running pain free and am back up to about 28 miles per week and shooting for 30-35 for my base before beginning training for my fall/winter events.... The commitment that it takes to train for and complete a Marathon is huge! It leaves very little time for anything else."

Kathy, if you're hitting 30-35 mile weeks, you've got the time for a marathon. I had a couple of 40+ weeks, but most were 35 or less when I trained for my first marathon. Everyone is different, but don't think you can't do it if you want to do it. The important thing is to do what your heart desires. You're going to nail those half marathons with the training you're doing. Have a great journey!

Phyllis, congratulations on your fund raising efforts. I hope your preparation goes well and that you enjoy the whole experience.

Pinoy1, congratulations on stage 7! Get ready for those hills in San Francisco; you're THE MAN!

Marie, glad to see you're back out on the road and the wind is at your back!

My hubby is still having knee issues. I've tried to tell him he needs a better base before attempting to run a marathon, but he's a guy..... He has at least agreed to running only as far as is comfortable in our training and then finishing out the distance by walking. I still think he should shoot for the half and do a full later and I am modifying his schedule. I'll have to let him reach that same conclusion on his own as we get closer to race day.

Nov 12, 2009

Urun2me~ Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes, I could train for a Marathon if I wanted to, but I am not sure I want to. Even though I am building my base up to 30 - 35 miles per week, I still have the option of not doing a run if I do not want to or of missing a long run on Saturday to go do something fun with my grandaughters or go away with my husband and not worry about missing the long run. When I said training for a Marathon was a huge commitment, I was referrring to the commitment to miss any training runs. I did not miss a single run while training for my Marathon, but I had to give up alot of things because of this. My golf for one! Not sure I want to do that again right now. I am enjoying running because I love it and to try and get better at my HM's! To each there own. I would not take anything for my Marathon experience and so glad that I did it!

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

2013 Events:

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

dyykjt1 Glad to read your post. Good News about the ITBS. You have really kicked up your base mileage since you completed your last Marathon. My pace is also slower than what it was in Jan. I keep making every excuse in the book why ??But i think the real reason is I refuse to do speed work on a consistent bases.Congrats on the hole in one  a once in a lifetime shot WOW . In regards to the charm braclet. In my house I'm told behind every good women lies a good man !!!!!!! Sounds like the same thing holds true in your house. What a great gift.

After I get my first full under my belt in October at Chicago. I also think I'll be running Nashville in April again. That course beat me up since it's where I ran my first HM 2 yrs ago. I trained flat. Living in FL Nashville rolling hills are what I called mountains. So two years later I have something to prove.

As for me ran 4 easy miles again this morning as I start slowly building my base back up to 30 miles again. Offical training starts in 12 days.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Foxtrotalot Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 21, 2012

I'm nearly 50.  I hope that counts!

I discovered over the winter that I really like running.  I never really tried before.  I did the Louisville Triple Crown and the Derby Mini Marathon, and for kicks I did the Tap n Run this past Saturday.  I'm having an issue with my calf, though. It is so tight, when I get up to walk I have to stretch or I CAN'T walk.  It's been this way for nearly 2 months. I've been resting a lot.  After the Derby Mini, I took 3 weeks off to rest it, but it didn't get any better.  I got a sports massage, which helped for about 6 hours.  I don't know what to do. I'm getting discouraged.  Anyone else had such an issue?

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

FoxTrot, welcome! If you stick around long enough you'll fit right in. Duh. But if you go back in this thread there is a wealth of wisdom on diagnosing and treating injuries but if I really couldn' walk, I'd be seeing a doctor first, a good sports doc. Many of us have tried to find ones who run so they will be willing to work with us to keep us on our feet. If that's not an option, my local PT group will diagnose and prescribe sports injuries. You may be able to find something similar. Good luck!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Foxtrotalot Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 21, 2012

Thanks for that. I didn't mean to say that I am completely unable to walk.  It is ONLY after I sit in a chair (leg bent) for any amount of time.  When I stand up, I cannot straighten out my leg or walk limp-free unless I stretch my calf for about 10 seconds.  When I do that and after walking a few steps, I have no problem and no pain.  This has been the case for 2 months. I can't get this calf to loosen up once and for all.  No amount of rest has helped.

I will cruise through the thread.  There's apparently 273 pages and a couple of years of info, so I'm bound to run across someone who has shared in my plight.  I don't want to give up!! 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...