Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

795 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 1:07 PM by maslt
maslt Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2012 11:10 AM

Ragnar Prego

I will be running the Wasatch Back Ragnar in 10 days and just recently came across a problem with my nutrition. I found out I was pregnant several weeks ago and still feel comfortable running the race. I'm training 3-4 times per week, maybe 5-10 mins less than the Beginners Training Plan, seen here.  I'm really feeling good and I'm about 12 week along on my pregnancy. (I ran recreationally last pregnancy too and did great). I have no morning sickness or anything...thank goodness. I did a sprint tri 3 years ago with a bagel and fruit 2 hours before the race and 8 ounces Gatorade during the bike.  I usually run 5ks without any water/food during the race and 8 ounce before with fruit for breakfast.

So the problem. Just the last week I have been waking up starving!!! and with any water I drink I am constantly running to the bathroom, of course...remember I'm pregnant?

I had only 2 fruit roll ups and about 4 oz water yesterday morning about 45 mins before running 5 miles and felt ok, but again the need to urinate. I ran without having to stop, however. Also my stomach was sloshing the whole time and wasn't really comfortable. During the race, I run the 2nd leg about 1.5 hours after the beginning of the race and my first distance is 7.6 miles. This will take me about 1.5 hours to run. (the other legs I'm running are less than a 5k so no worries there...I hope.

I'll definitely load up the week of the race with good nutrition, but any adivse on the water/food situation to keep me going that morning and not taking 500 breaks either???  Do I need to run the full 7.6 miles this week to test it out???

8/10/09 Rush Tri - Sprint, Rexburg, ID 02:13:25.3

9/18/10 Spud Run 5k, Shelley, ID 34:04.7

7/21/11 Murtaugh Lake Mud Run 5k, Murtaugh Lake, ID 51:13.4

6/15-16/12 Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay, Logan to Park City, UT TBA

6/21/12 Pie Run, Twin Falls, ID TBA

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 5, 2012 11:38 AM (in response to maslt)
    Ragnar Prego

Hi there! In 2011 my friend ran the SoCal Ragnar 12 weeks prego - the baby girl is now 7 months old and cute as a button and crawling . She is our 'original Ragnar baby' and I bought her a tshirt this year at the SoCal. Anyway, I think you will be fine since you've trained the whole time. I am NOT pregnant and I am generally hungry often the whole weekend I am at a Ragnar, running or off time doesn't matter. I used to not carry water or anything at all but now I have a fuel belt so I carry 2 bottles of water even if I don't drink any, and I carry clif blocks too. If you hydrate really well until about half an hour to 45 min before your run,(and pee before the runner before you is 10 minutes away) and only sip a little every mile as you run, you shouldn't have to run to the bathroom during your leg.

If you've used GU chomps or clif blocks or anything like that, those might help during your run, and also things like granola bars or dried fruit before might be good, and we always have beef jerky and chips and salty stuff in the van as well. You COULD run the whole distance, or even try an 8 mile run if you want, but remember, training run conditions aren't always the same as your leg at Ragnar. I've run multiple 8-10 mile runs on paved roads but when I ran my first leg at the SoCal Ragnar this year, it was almost 100 degrees in Corona and the majority of the 9 miles there was no shade. Heat doesn't typically get to me but by mile 6 I was not feeling very good lol. The last 3 miles were really tough! What's your team name, I'll be at Wasatch too - Not Fat, Just Furious is my team

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points