Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

586 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 4:49 PM by Dark-Horse RSS
slowfoots Rookie 4 posts since
Sep 5, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2012 6:54 PM

Hip and joint pain

I am experiencing severe hip pain. The best way to describe the location is at the top of the femur bone where it meets the pelvis. In my mind, I see a big knuckle at the top of the femur that is just grinding into my hip bone there. I'm not sure if that is what is going on, but is the only effective way to describe it without being able to see in there what is going on. I have been running very regularly since Jan. 2005. I had a similar experience shortly after I began running, but the pain was not as severe. I took a week off, started running more miles on treadmill and then running hard surfaces only once or twice a week. This corrected the problem. Last year, I was in Iraq and all of my running was done exclusively on treadmills. I've been home since August of 2011 and continue to run, only almost all of my running has been on hard surfaces. This time the pain is severe. Maybe an 8 on a scale from 1 to 10. Could anyone offer some advice. Has anyone had any similar experiences? If so, what were your remedies? I really, really NEVER want to give up running.

Ed

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 5, 2012 4:49 PM (in response to slowfoots)
    Hip and joint pain

Ed,

It sounds like you may have iliotibial band (ITB) pain. There are good stretches available for this problem if you search online. One of the best is as follows:

Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet on the floor. Lift the leg you want to stretch, twist it across your body, and place the ankle of that leg against the quad of your other leg which remains with its foot on the floor. Grasp the leg you haven't moved yet and pull it toward you. That will give a good stretch to the leg that is twisted across your body. If I haven't described this stretch clearly, it's probably online someplace with a good photo or drawing.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points