Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676407 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,015. Jun 5, 2012 3:31 PM (in response to quikyerp)
    My last run was...how was yours?

I had a nice little 3.5 mile run this morning. What a super attitude adjuster running is! I love that my half marathon training schedule includes a lot of these small runs...so comfy!

Webpro11 It really takes some adjustment to run in that heat, doesn't it?

AlfNiner What a story about your half! Gosh, everything just kept getting in your way, eh? Good for you, getting another half marathon done though!! **High Fives** on that.

aluecker I cant imagine running right after I wake up! Just this morning I was thinking about how long it takes me to "climb out of the fog" in the mornings anymore. I truly believe its part of heading into my 50's!

NHLA Nice work!

Old Coyote Nice to hear about the new kicks! Its such a process finding the right shoe, isn't it? I think I'm still happy with my Mizuno Wave Enigmas after a few months.

Snerb Congrats on the great trail time and the place!

ALatteCrazy HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your great half!! Yay. Wow, it's so nice to hear how well you did on your half. I'm making a mental note about everything you've said regarding fueling and rest.

Old Coyote Whoo-hoo, a marathon?! Slow and steady on that millage build up. Very proud of you, from one "oldie" to another!

CKLindsay Good to see you. What's up with your lungs?

igotwings Boo-hiss on the wet socks...yeah on the new jacket! I have my eye on a new jacket from Brooks in NYC when I go visit my sis in a few weeks. I think its called "Night Lite" Very bright and snazy (apres birthday weekend for me)

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,016. Jun 5, 2012 4:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.46 miles 48 min. Ran 1st 5k in 21 min. & home in 27min. Got some NB minimus today. Only one run but I think I like them.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,017. Jun 5, 2012 5:54 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

ran a 4-mile progressive run last night, 28:55. Sore legs maybe due to Sat.'s 10k, so I started kind of slow. Felt good enough after two miles to amp it up some and kept trying to go faster each quarter. Felt pretty good after, with very little soreness.

Worked too late to make Running Club night tonight, so we decided to take the dog for a walk/jog when I got home. As soon as we got out the door, it started pouring. We made it about a 1/2 mile out and back anyway. The dog would never have forgiven us if we didn't do anything after getting ready to go. Cross training tonight with weights and bike while watching Celtics.

ALatte....... Fantastic job!!!

Alfniner..... You could sell that story!!!!!

Keep up the great work, runners.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,018. Jun 5, 2012 6:26 PM (in response to NHLA)

NHLA - Which Minimus did you get? I have 3 pair of NB in rotation right now. They just fit and feel better to me.

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    3,019. Jun 5, 2012 7:05 PM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23 - Go Celtics!?!?!?!

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,020. Jun 5, 2012 8:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I've been on vacation for several days, and am just checking up on everyone's efforts. 

As for trying any "minimal" shoes, the Skechers GoRun are the closest I've gotten to.  It's help me retrain my stride to the point that I'm landing on the midfoot even if I wear my other pair, made by Brooks. 

Although I was on vacation, I got some short slow runs. (70 degrees at 6:30 in the morning!)  One run was on the sand of Galveston beach in some Sporti aquashoes.  They're designed for in-pool exercises, so I understand.  But what the hey, the beach was lovely, mostly empty, and quite manicured.I.E. nice & smooth.

My other runs were early morning in a Houston suburb.  Ambition & Reality didn't have to fight.  They went to Randall's for Gatorade.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,021. Jun 5, 2012 9:09 PM (in response to degregorius)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Hello, fellow runners!  Been a bit since my last post.  After Boulder Boulder 10k, had a bad work week and didn't run at all until last Sunday.  Gotta say that it was brutal...labored breathing, too hot to run, lots of excuses...but I didn't quit.  Got in 6 miles and was glad I did.

Made it to the track this morning and ran a series of 400, 2x800, 4x400 repeats.  4.61 miles in total in just over 45 minutes.  Felt really good!  I am totally committed to some PR's this year after only 15 months of running...and at the very young age of 49!  looking forward to breaking into new age group next year and feeling strong.

Amazing accomplishments by all in last couple of weeks.  Very inspiring to hear about progress, recovery and new PR's.

aluecker and oldcoyote: let's find a time and place to meet up on front range and do a trail run.  I won't be able to keep up but could use the push from you both.

az414: i am thinking about denver RNR half.  Already committed to RW Half in Oct but think I can do both.

everyone else:  keep posting, keep running, keep inspiring!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,022. Jun 5, 2012 9:11 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Oh yeah, forgot to say..."Go Celtics!!!!"

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,023. Jun 6, 2012 9:35 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4.5 miles 41 min. Dark clouds but didn't get wet.

degregorius: I love Galveston. Did you visit Bishops Palace? Unbelieveable woodwork.

Old Coyote: I got the minumus road shoe. The fit is perfect but I'm not sure this is a long run shoe. I'll find out. Your marathon plan sounds good.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,024. Jun 6, 2012 1:35 PM (in response to NHLA)

NHLA- Didn't get off the beach.  My family stayed at Islander East.  I think I've been to the Bishop's Palace before.

On another mater: I ran a little over nine miles today.  Afterwards, sat in a cold tub up to my waist.  I know the FDA frowns on self-experimentation, but what the heck, try anything once.  I read somewhere it was supposed to help with muscle recovery.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

Aug 19, 2011
    3,025. Jun 6, 2012 6:12 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Cross-trained last night. Two sets of strength/core exercises, and 34 minutes on bike (16 miles) while watching the Celtics come back and rally past the Heat. Woot woot!!

Went to the track today for 400 repeats. Did a brisk 2-mile walk with father-in-law (75 years old), then did 12 x 400 at 1:41 pace with 200 jog recoveries. Three 400s were actually at 1:42 and one at 1:43, but I'm calling them all the same.  Jogged a 1/2 mile after and felt great.

5k race Saturday, so next two days will be easy jog/workout days.

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    3,026. Jun 6, 2012 11:02 PM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23 - yes, cross-training is good, but it can be tough. My chiro is also doing core work with me, and Monday's session was tough - combine a personal trainer with a "do not quit" attitude and it's a real workout.

degregorius - the cold tub sounds nice. My old house (10 years ago) had a hot tub, and we would turn the heat off in the summer and sit in there to cool off.

melodylea - good luck with the training for your half. Keep up that positive attitude, it may be contagious.

aluecker - your bit about early morning runs reminds me of a run some time ago when I asked myself, "how long do I need to run before the fog in my head clears?" The answer was about 2-1/2 miles - after that I felt much better. I like running first thing in the morning, it gives me energy for the day.

alattecrazy - great time on the half, and great improvement! I don't mean to burst your bubble, but 30s isn't old, and some of those older women can really run fast. At the Mermaid 10K (all women), the overall winner, with a time under 41 minutes, was in the 45-49 age group! My 42-year-old sister probably would have come in 2nd in that race.

I've gotten in some good runs lately, including 3 miles with fartlek today.

Last week I did one of my normal loops at a different time than usual - it goes by an elementary school, and it turns out it was shortly before school started, so I needed to dart around parents walking with their kids to school. It didn't slow me down too much, and I didn't run over any little kids.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• AnaheimHillRunner Amateur 26 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    3,027. Jun 7, 2012 11:30 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

It has been a while since I last posted, but I am subscribed to this thread and have read your posts with great interest. I had a relapse of a nasty virus, which caused me to forego any running for three weeks in April.

My workouts have leveled off, and I don't seem to have any improvement. I have a nagging slight injury on my right foot. It doesn't hurt all of the time, and only  causes slight discomfort when I change running direction to the right, or when I run hills (up or down).

I was doing some 200 meter repeats last week on a community college track, when a fellow runner introduced himself to me, and mentioned that I was running well. He wanted to know if I was training for a particular competition. He went on to mention that the Pasadena Senior Games were being held on June 2. I was aware of the competition, but had not registered because I had not been running well and due to my foot injury.

Well, at the last minute, I decided to register on the telephone. Long story short, I showed up kind of late (I wanted to blame the wife and kids, but that wouldn't be too cool, nor would it be true). I didn't really have time to warm up. I jogged 400 meters, strided a couple of 100 meters, stretched, and that was it.

I took off too fast, and paid the price. Finishing in 21:52, was almost a minute slower than my previous 5K. I was disappointed in my time, but I did finish 2nd in my age group. I need to rethink my training strategy and enter more races.

• First race after a 13 year absence was a 5k in September 2011 in a time of 23:00.
    • Timberwolf 5k Irvine, CA, February 18, 2012: 21:39.0
    • California Senior Games 5K, March 11, 2012, Stanford University: 20:55
    • Pasadena Senior Games 5K, June 2, 2012, Cal Tech: 21:52
    • Southern California Association USATF Masters Championships 5K, June 16, 2012, Pasadena, CA: 21:43
    • Marina High School 2-mile All Comers, August 16, 2012, Huntington Beach, CA: 12:38
    • San Diego Senior Games, Track and Field, 3000 Meters, September 22, 2012, San Diego, CA: 12:05

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,028. Jun 7, 2012 6:33 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Greetings runners.

I hit the mesa again this morning. Good run; I got in 5.5-6 miles in 55 minutes overall, uphill, downhill, flats. Not a pretty morning. A lot of low-level ozone pollution today and the haze was thick. Saw lots of deer, including a doe I've come to recognize by a patch on her left hindquarter. I named her MelodyLea .

The weather is unhappy the past few days. There've been tornados and hail and floods, and my arthritis is giving me what for. I don't have it bad, so I know the folks that do have it real hard today. I have some hip pain, but nothing I can't run through.

Happy trails!

Aug 19, 2011
    3,029. Jun 7, 2012 6:58 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

OK, Coyote, I have to ask. What made you think of a connection between a doe with a patch on her left hindquarter and Melody Lea?

Anaheim.... I still go out too fast too many times. I have yet to master pacing. But in your case, 21:52, that's a good time, especially after being out of sync for a while. I haven't broken 22 this year.

Julia.... I had to stop while driving past a local elementary school yesterday at lunchtime. The kids were out for recess, and three or four of them were at the fence by the roadside, throwing small rocks at passing cars!!! I parked at the store next to the school and went back over and saw the kids still tossing rocks over the fence, and heard them laughing and saying, "Did you see that one hit that van?" I called the monitor over and told her what they were doing, showing her the rocks in the road. I ratted out one kid that I saw throwing them when I walked up, and said there were two or three others. She was nice about it and I think the kid knew he was in trouble, because while all the other kids were coming over to see what I wanted, he was sneaking away in the other direction.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...