Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1003 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2012 6:16 PM by Billsr RSS
Newjog Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 8, 2012 5:43 AM

Week 9 and Beyond

Hi everyone sorry I haven't posted much during my c25k training. I wish I did its been a great experience, I totally changed my lifestyle (diet and attitude- I feel the need to run makes me feel good) I lost 45 lbs!! My question is what do I do after my last day(which is Monday) my first 5k is not for 3 weeks. Do I just repeat wk 9 or is there other training I should do? I can not say enough about the program it really WORKS!!!! Thanks for any advice Newjog

• ydiez Pro 118 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Jun 8, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to Newjog)
    Week 9 and Beyond

Newjog wrote:

Hi everyone sorry I haven't posted much during my c25k training. I wish I did its been a great experience, I totally changed my lifestyle (diet and attitude- I feel the need to run makes me feel good) I lost 45 lbs!! My question is what do I do after my last day(which is Monday) my first 5k is not for 3 weeks. Do I just repeat wk 9 or is there other training I should do? I can not say enough about the program it really WORKS!!!! Thanks for any advice Newjog

First of all, congratulations on completing c25k. I personally believe that this is the hardest transition. Concerning your question, I would say it depends very much on the type of runner you are/want to become. Do you want to keep on running? If so, do you want to be able to run faster,longer?

My sugestion would be to take a look at some other training programs (bridge to 10k, faster 5k, maybe even some beginner half marathon program? ) . As usual, remember to take it slow (so probably HM is not a good idea just yet), and focus on enjoying the journey.

Once you have decided what your next step is, I would start preparing for it right away. This will probably mean taking a few weeks to bridge the gap between your current training load and that of your next training plan (some plans have preliminary week trainnig loads included). Finally, and independently from the rest, you need a taper week for your 5k. You can find an example here . Again take it with caution, taper week should feel somewhat "easier" than a normal week to allow you to give your best on race day (there are also many theories on this, by the way).

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    2. Jun 8, 2012 7:54 AM (in response to Newjog)
    Week 9 and Beyond

Hi:

Though I didn't go through the c25k training I kind of followed a similar path (lost 55 pounds made life adjustments etc). Once you get to the point where things level out I found that you have to create a regular routine. For me I do 1/2 hour of regular exercises (stretching, situps, pushups etc. ) and then run 5 miles six days a week. I am four years out from starting running and it has worked out well.  A different routine may work well for you. There is no set formula other than you do need some sort of routine.  If I was to decide to train for a half marathon or full I would tweek my routine to adjust to the different mileage.  Its great that you have signed up for a 5k and I'm sure you will do great. Another suggestion might be to join a local running club.  Being part of a larger group can be very supportive and they will often do group runs which help to keep you motivated.

-Bill

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    4. Jun 8, 2012 6:16 PM (in response to Newjog)
    Week 9 and Beyond

Newjog- Running is a lot of fun. I'm 51 and wish I hadn't been a couch potato for so many years.  The health benifits of running are amazing. In addition to just feeling generally healthier I find when I do get sick it doesn't last nearly as long.  -Bill

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...