Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1496 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 8, 2012 5:58 PM by lenzlaw
DebraCollins2 Rookie 1 posts since
May 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 8, 2012 10:58 AM

Help with adding distance without injury

Hi!

Being a casual jogger for at least 30 years, a year and half ago, I ran my first half under 2. Since than have run a few others 1:46 and 1:44, with only 3 days a week of running, one tempo, one speed and one long run. The training plans I tried to follow always were interrupted with some sort of injury unrelated to running- (bike crash, flu, etc.) . The last half I did a month ago, I was not prepared for, even though I ran a good time, I could barely walk afterwards, shin splints, and extremely stiff sore muscles for a week after. I thought I could do another half about 10 weeks away. I jumped into a few tempo runs, and on 2 different occassions attempted to run 10 miles for the long runs, which I thought would be easy at this point. Instead I have another shin splint on the other leg and all sorts of pains after mile 8!

I was wanting to increase my time and run this next half at 1:43. What training plan would work for me? I do a spin class 2 x a week and some yoga. I was wanting a training plan without back to back days running, which I feel is just too hard on my 47 yr old body. However, my husband thinks maybe not enough days running is the reason going past 8 miles is killing me. How do you increase past 8 without hurting yourself in 10 weeks? 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 8, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to DebraCollins2)
    Help with adding distance without injury

You really don't provide enough info on your running history (base miles, daily mileage, weekly mileage, pace, etc.) to get a handle on what you're doing and how you might improve.  Off the top of my head, I think you should ditch the half in 10 weeks, back off for a couple months to let your body recover and heal, then restart building your training. Shinsplints are a clear overuse injury.  Those and the other pains are probably the result of trying to come back too soon from a bad race (good time but bad race).  The other thing you may need to do is get a better idea about how to train properly.  There are a couple 3-day-a-week running plans out there that seem to work well.  One is documented in a book called Run Less, Run Faster (Runners World).  It used to be known as the FIRST plan (http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Pages/default.aspx) and was developed for marathon training. But I believe it has been expanded for more general training.  Take a look at it.  It may be exactly what you want.

BTW, a sub-2 first half-marathon takes you a bit beyond being a "casual jogger".

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...