Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20528 Views 109 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 2:17 PM by KHT2012 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • SingingPilgrim Expert 56 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jun 8, 2012 5:02 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hey guys!

Betharoo, I also run outside and just time it. I think when I finish, I may try for distance. My recommendation is try to pay attention to your odometer when you drive your road and find a landmark that is a round distance from your house and then do laps.

Centari, just remember to try again later. I'm a restarter, but here I am, doing it. It doesn't matter if you have to take a break especially for such a valid reason, so long as you try again.

I just finished week 5 today! I am so excited. I did the 20 minutes straight, no walking! Crazy! And apparently next week is the last week with any walking at all... it's getting real!

Visit my blogs!

Health and Fitness: http://meaningfulactivity.blogspot.com/

Lifestyle blog: www.thesongsontheway.com

"No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore strengthen your tired hands and weakened knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated,but healed instead." -Hebrews 12:11-13

• sandwichman Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 18, 2012
    61. Jun 8, 2012 5:08 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

I have been in Arizona for business for a couple of weeks, and have found that running in the heat really is not that bad!  I am logging most of miles between 6am and 8am, but it is still 85+ degrees.  I am doing a 8 mile training run tomorrow morning.  My goal is to pace at 12:30 per mile.  I look forward to the challenge.

• bellasamimom Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 24, 2012
    62. Jun 10, 2012 3:30 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

I am a 35 year old Navy wife and stay at home Mom of 2 girls.  My 12 year old Daughter has inspired me to start running.  She finished a 4 mile run over the Coronado Bay Bridge in just under 33 mins. I started the program the next day

I started on May 21st.  So far I have had no real problems.  I have switched to running on the beach beacuse of shin splints.  It really helps but seems a bit harder.  I am pretty winded by the end of the 3 mins of running.  I am worried about starting w4d1 tomorrow but am also excited too.  Seems crazy that I have made it to week 4.  I am thankful for this program.  I finally feel like I am doing it

• gatorgirl28 Amateur 13 posts since
    May 5, 2012
    63. Jun 11, 2012 12:23 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    Re: C25K - Started in May

Just did Week 4 day 1 and man that five minute portion definitely kicked my butt, but I was still able to muscle through it and so happy that I finally got this first day under my belt. Looking forward to day two and of course to finish up the rest of the week.. Most likely I'm going to have to repeat this week a few times in order to build up my endurance- got a little bit winded though that wasn't so much the problem. The problem was my legs started to get tired. Though, I feel great! Definitely got a great work-out in and, Bella, me too. I am so grateful for this program- it's reignated my love of exercising and getting out and BEING outside. Makes me feel like I'm a little kid again.

Keep up the great work everyone!

• Samfish Rookie 3 posts since
    May 23, 2012
    64. Jun 11, 2012 1:31 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Oh man, like gatorgirl28 I have compleated W4D1. I was SO nervous about the 5 min runs. But, I was able to power through them and felt alright except for the last bit of my 2nd 5 minute run. The pod cast I'm doing had a 1min and a 20sec notices for time left, which almost made it worse.

I was really impressed with myself for just being able to run the whole time, and broke the 2mile mark on my route due to the increased running. Which was awesome. I might throw on at least one additional day though before moving onto week 5. We'll see how I'm feeling after W4D3.

Anyone else out there who is nervouse about the 5min runs, you'll be fine. If I can get through them while doing the program you can too!

• nerudathedog Amateur 13 posts since
    May 18, 2012
    65. Jun 13, 2012 12:19 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi all,

I'm just checking in again. Finished W5D2 today, which means that I'm facing that 20-minute run on Friday. I am astonished that I was able to complete today's 8-minute intervals. I felt great at the end of the first one, and at the end of the 2nd I felt like I could keep going if I had to (but was glad I didn't have to). So it's not taking everything I have, but it's taking a lot. As long as I can feel like that, I'll keep moving up.

I read somewhere (who knows where) that if it's possible for you to run slower, then you're running too fast. I took that to heart, because I'm heavy (just north of 250 at 5'8", down from about 280 in February) and I really, really don't want to get injured. So my jog intervals are just over 13 minute miles, and I walk at 3.5mph (I'm on a treadmill because allergy season is in full swing, so for now I'm keeping a really even pace, but I'll be moving outside soon). I've read on other threads that people have repeated the C25K a second time, only moving faster in the run intervals, and jogging during the walk intervals. I'm trying not to think too far ahead, but that might be the method I use.

So far no injuries.

Those of you who are working on the 5-minute intervals now, be strong! And don't worry about week 5. You'll be amazed at how ready you are. Keep at it! I'll let you know how Friday's 20 minutes go...

• KHT2012 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 6, 2012
    66. Jun 13, 2012 2:10 PM (in response to nerudathedog)
    C25K - Started in May

Way to go Neruda! Now you are on to the big, 20 minute run. You will do great!

I finished week 5 last night--and I did it! As others have said, the program really prepares you to be able to make the jump from 8 minutes to 20 minutes. I'd say I was not very confident or feeling good during the first 1/4 mile of the run, but somewhere right after that I began to hit my stride and just felt good and that I could keep going. By around 10 minutes in, I could not believe I was actually doing it (and did not feel like I was about to die!). I was excited when I heard the "1 minute left" cue on my app and really pushed myself to run faster.

I am still shocked that I ran almost 2 miles--I checked my tracker and I ran 1.73 miles in the 20 minutes. My running pace was just over 11.5 minute miles. That is my fastest running time ever!

If you would have told me 6 weeks ago that I would be able (and excited) to run almost 2 miles I would have laughed in your face. But this program really is wonderful! I am excited about my next run tomorrow. :-)

• eghenry Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 7, 2012
    67. Jun 14, 2012 5:14 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

I started in May and just finished Week 5 and my 20 minute run yesterday.  I was suprised that is seemed easier than Week 4 Days 1 and 2.  I'm signed up for a 5 K on July 14th.

• bellasamimom Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 24, 2012
    68. Jun 14, 2012 6:44 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

I am doing w4d2 today I skipped yesterday since we went to the fair.  I am hoping it feels a little better than Monday

• spiritextreme13 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    69. Jun 14, 2012 9:40 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

what is C25K?

May 18, 2012
    70. Jun 14, 2012 10:57 AM (in response to spiritextreme13)
    C25K - Started in May

@spirit, it stands for Couch-to-5K, a beginning running program.

• spiritextreme13 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    71. Jun 14, 2012 11:36 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Ok thanks nerudathedog, I was trying to figure that out.

May 18, 2012
    72. Jun 15, 2012 8:48 AM (in response to eghenry)
    C25K - Started in May

Eghenry, congratulations on the 20-minute run!

I just, a few minutes ago, finished mine--haven't even gotten in the shower yet (lol). I had to cover the clock on the treadmill so that I wouldn't be checking it all the time and psych myself out. It wasn't pretty, but it was sure as h*** prettier than sitting on the couch. I can't get over how proud I am of myself. Before this program, I thought I hated running. I've never been able to run even half a mile before this. It's incredible.

How are the rest of you doing?

• aland711 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 19, 2012
    73. Jun 15, 2012 9:31 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Well, I injured my knee Saturday just walking around all day in flip flops. Dont know how I managed to do it but I did. So I have been resting all week, as it still hurts.   Then last night I slammed the corner of the car door into my ankle right on!! OUCH!!! Im limping around today.

I hope I will not have to start over. I was ready for w2d3, but that hasnt happened yet. I attempted to on sunday but that was a bad idea and i did not make it.

Any suggestions on what i should do so I run agian??

• eghenry Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 7, 2012
    74. Jun 15, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to nerudathedog)
    C25K - Started in May

I didn't even look at the clock for the 20 minute run.  I set up a play list on my phone that lasted 20 minutes and counted down the songs.  I will defnitely be doing that for the rest of my runs.  It made a big difference!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...