Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

55074 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Previous Next
  • mom2katon Amateur 13 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jun 9, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to TisforTiara)
    June C25K Starters

Today is W2D3 for me -- I have tried in the past, but I have never gotten all the way to the end.  I have never been able to run more than 2.5 milies.  I think there is some physical reasons (allergies give me problems with breathing), but it is mostly mental -- I just can't seem to get past that wall   Any advice would be appreciated.

• KristiRPhTX Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    46. Jun 9, 2012 7:34 AM (in response to TisforTiara)
    June C25K Starters

I also did W2D1 this morning.  I agree that some of the running portions seemed to go by quickly.  I'm really feeling good after my runs.  I remember why I got addicted to running the first time.  So happy that I can finally do it again! 

• dgh204 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 9, 2012
    47. Jun 9, 2012 3:44 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I too am a teacher (however, in NYC), and I just completed my W1D1!

I have been going to the gym for close to 2 months - 4-5 days/week - 30+ minutes on the elliptical.  I decided to sign up for a 5K at the end of October, and I am hoping the C25K will help me get there.

I have also changed my diet by drastically increasing my fiber intake over the past 2 months.

As a result, I have l lost around 20 pounds.  I'd like to keep losing, but my main goal is to get in better shape.  I hope this will help!

• Llamedos Expert 50 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    49. Jun 10, 2012 1:27 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Hi, I'd like to join the thread too.

I also did this programme about a year ago, then got a new job which took me all over the country. As a result, my own free time suffered and it was often all I could do to get up in the mornings! Still, I now work in another department where things are less hectic - at least for the immediate future.

I started about the same time as you all, but didn't think to check out the website and see what was happening here, so I looked this morning and found you guys, about where I am now. For the record, I'm a 50+ guy with 50+ pounds to lose, l'm a Brit, but living and working in Germany. I look forwardto the coming weeks with you, to complete this programme.

Have a great weekend.

• Missouristar Amateur 13 posts since
    May 28, 2012
    50. Jun 10, 2012 8:37 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W3D1 for me.  I fully expected to have to go back to week 2.  Those three minute running intervals looked intimidating.  But I did it!!  I just kept telling myself, "You can run for one minute, then if you need to, you can walk." Then when the next minute came up, I told myself the same thing.  Same for the third.  I feel such a sense of accomplishment!

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    51. Jun 11, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W2D2 today - finished the run, and didn't walk in any of the running sections, but I so wanted to!  Felt much harder than W2D1, not sure why - maybe because I was running after work rather than in the morning, maybe because I went swimming yesterday rather than having a real rest day.  Oh well, onwards and upwards, will get up early on Wednesday and see if my theory that I'm really a morning runner holds good.

• Taurus12 Amateur 26 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    52. Jun 11, 2012 1:01 PM (in response to TisforTiara)
    June C25K Starters

Congratulations TisforTiara! You DID IT!!! There could be a number of reasons why it seemed more difficult today than the W2D1. I keep a running journal for just that reason. I am an early morning runner but have learned that I need to be mindful of what I eat/drink the night before a run as well as the morning of the run. I write down what I eat, drink, and felt like after each run-not just the icky runs. I have learned what makes my runs go best for me and you will too!

Keep up the good work and someday I will see you at the finish line of the 5K race!

• mom2katon Amateur 13 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    53. Jun 11, 2012 2:03 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Thanks Bauer05 -  I know I need to keepthe mental attitude positive, but sometimes that is easier said than done!  Always good to be reminded.

I did W3D1 today.  Happy to have it beind me   Proud that I was able to do it.  I am right where you are Missouristar - hopefully we ncan encourage each other.  TisforTiaraa n-- good job getting through it --- hopefully Wednesday ,morning will be better for you.

• MichelleReneeMercure Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    54. Jun 11, 2012 2:18 PM (in response to dgh204)
    June C25K Starters

I completed Week 1 on Saturday and I was pretty proud of myself.  I'm finding workout motivators to be few and far between these days.  But sleeping in Saturday morning seemed to help me.  If only all other days were like that. 

Taurus, I was reading your post and saw that you made some changes to your diet.  Can I ask what your source of fiber is? (wow, I sound like I'm in a Metamucil commercial )  I'm having some difficulty getting my diet where it needs to be. 

W2D1 starts tomorrow.  Here's hoping I can get to bed early tonight so tomorrow I am very refreshed and ready to bang it out!

• Taurus12 Amateur 26 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    55. Jun 11, 2012 2:27 PM (in response to MichelleReneeMercure)
    June C25K Starters

Hi MichelleReneeMercu, first WOO HOO on your completion of week one. I recently found out I am gluten intolerant so I had to make a big shift in my eating. I try to get fiber from a variety of sources but brown rice is my favorite and I love steel cut oatmeal too. Diet is something that will need some fine tuning for most of us depending if we are trying to lose weight, build muscle, ramp up energy, etc. If you can afford to see a sports nutritionist or doctor I would do that and find a plan that suits you. Runners World website has some really great videos and articles on nutrition including fiber so if you have not gone over there to check it out I would. They have a forum like here to talk to others, but I have found this site far more friendly. Here is a link to the site: http://http://www.runnersworld.com/

Good luck and happy running!

• fishie230 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 5, 2011
    56. Jun 11, 2012 8:47 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Just finished W1D3!  We meant to finish earlier in the week, but we spread it out over the full week and mixed in some hiking and tennis just for fun.  The new shoes are fantastic, and so far none of the leg/feet issues I've had in the past are giving me trouble (knock on wood!). 

W2 is going to be tough for me - I have to go on business travel this week, so getting the workouts in are going to be tough.  My goal is to finish up W2 before I get back home.  Wish me luck!

• MichelleReneeMercure Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    57. Jun 12, 2012 12:34 PM (in response to Taurus12)
    June C25K Starters

Taurus:  Thanks so much for your insight.  I will definitely check out Runners World to get some tips.  I've recently started to get better about my brown rice consumption but know that I've still got work to do.  W2D1 starts for me tonight after work.  Here's hoping!

• ThunderZtorm Rookie 4 posts since
    May 30, 2012
    58. Jun 12, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

There we go - W3D1 completed this evening. We were both a bit intimidated by the 3 minute runs, but we managed to pull through in spite of rather heavy rain.

The lower back pains I experienced the first week are all gone. However, my left shin is not too happy with me tonight. I am a bit worried about this shin splints thing I read about being very common for new runners. I've no idea if what I'm feeling is an actual injury or just my muscles being very surprised that they're being used all the sudden - how do I tell the difference between shin splints and a muscle being "tired"?

• ARod65 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2012
    59. Jun 12, 2012 6:47 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

So...I'm having a bit of difficulty. I've started W1D1 three times now. I can't seem to get consistent about it. I am very slow, and having a lot of shin pain. Any ideas?

Started C25K 5/31/12. 198 pounds.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...