Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

578534 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 ... 327 Previous Next
  • BobL204 Amateur 35 posts since
    May 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,045. Jun 10, 2012 4:17 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Training for my first full at the end of September and yesterday was supposed to be 14 based on my Smart Coach plan.  The full is with Team In Training and yesterday we were doing 5 miles so I decided to do 9ish before meeting up with them.  Well 9ish turned into 11 and then I got lost (missed a turn, you know guys and directions) on the 5 and ended up doing 6.5. Well the total ended up being 17.1 on the Garmin in just over 2.5 hours which makes me feel good about the full.  Arthritis in knee kicked up yesterday, but is subsiding today so a rest day and a 5 tomorrow should work out for the knee. 

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/maine12/MilesintoMiracles

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    3,046. Jun 10, 2012 5:25 AM (in response to BobL204)

Ran a 5k race yesterday and set a PR. The cool thing was that it was my daughters first 5k where she ran the entire distance and she did great. My son also ran in the kids race and "won". We had a good family run day!

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,047. Jun 10, 2012 5:46 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

runslowdan: OK, I'll bite: what's a fartlek?  I shall resist the urgings of my inner 12 year old, and not make a joke involving beans

Therefore, I shall await the real answer.

The sun is out.  I'll run again this afternoon.  The legs don't feel too beaten up.  Maybe there's something to this cold tub treatment stuff, and not just the latest trend.

(On the other hand, putting a raw steak on an aching muscle or sore hamstring?  But that's for another post.)

Swimming can wait until Monday, when it's supposed to rain. 

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,049. Jun 10, 2012 6:33 PM (in response to NHLA)

What a super 6 mile run this morning! I felt strong and it was a stunning day. Bright, sunny, warm...perfect Berkshire day.
    Later I went on a beautiful hike with my nephew and his wife who were visiting from NYC. Between the run and the hike...I am one tired momma!

Debm2011 Thanks re: the Doe namesake. # I am SO happy for you on the 4 mile run without pain! Yay.

Nice long and beautiful run, OldCoyote!

AlfNiner NHLA degregorius and runslowdan Nice job and great miles! Oh, degregorius, Fartlek means speed work. Some distance at a medium pace, then distance "full on", then repeat, (that's a very rough definition).

az1414 I totally agree with your friend...it just happens sometimes. I know, for me the heat can really nock me down hard! Don't lose heart.

BobL204 Awesome mileage!! Yay.

protometal That is so cool about your whole family run!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,050. Jun 10, 2012 6:47 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Nice work to all out there!  Great training stories and glad to hear that most everyone is injury free at this time of year.

I was supposed to run a 50 mile "sprint relay" today from Fort Collins to Boulder but got cancelled due to the tragic wildfire along the Front Range of CO.  Been watching the fire fighting planes all day overhead taking water and fire retardant to douse the blaze.  Very tragic but still no containment and close to 20,000 acres.
    So, the silver lining is that we had friends in from CA as part of our team, so went out for a run with them today and had a blast.  Brilliant sun, lots of wildlife and great conversation.  Weather got hot so walked to drink along the way but overall did 8.15 miles in 1:23.  Stretched, ate and came home to continue to watch the planes overhead fighting the fire.  The heroic pilots had a way harder day today than we did, and we got to enjoy what running is all about.

Funny how things can work out.

Keep running, keep posting, and keep inspiring!

Have great week!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,051. Jun 10, 2012 7:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Great weather and a great 5k race yesterday!! This is the first of the local 5k summer series. This one and the third one are basically FLAT. I like them. Another large crowd for this race (about 600 participants) and great support from those watching. I set a new PR, with a time of 20:41!!! That was good for 29th place, and third in my age group. Stomach felt tight about halfway through, and I thought about walking a little to shake it off, but I knew I had a good time going, so I pushed on and made it.

My nephew's son (9 yrs. old) ran the race, and finished in 27:29!!! He beat more than half the field!!

Protometal.... Excellent work on your PR!!! And congrats to your daughter, too.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,052. Jun 10, 2012 7:04 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Ran a easy 8 mile run . It was hot & humid but I felt great until I fell coming down a bridge. lucky I didn't get hurt just cut up my hands trying to break my fall and scraped up my knee and leg pretty good. Overall still a good run.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    3,053. Jun 10, 2012 8:33 PM (in response to protometal)

I've been having a hard time with the heat - I don't think it was this bad in past summers. Is it related to being a woman of a certain age? 75 degrees and I was wilting in the sun!

On the way back from my 5.5-mile run this morning,  I saw that the sprinklers were on in a park I pass. When I got there I ran across the grass into their path and stood there for a bit, letting them rain cool water on me. It was so refreshing and gave me the energy I needed to finish the last mile of my run.

Protometal - awesome family run! My son wants to do the Firefly again this year.

jmsab23 - fantastic PR! Good for you pushing through - sounds like it was a fast group.

MelodyLea - running strong is good. I sometimes envy you your location, but I try to appreciate my local bike/pedestrian trail, enjoy the scenery and ignore the freeway noise.

Webpro11 - way to emphasize the positive! Road rash can be painful, hope yours heals quickly.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,054. Jun 11, 2012 5:35 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Protometal - Congraulations on the PR, and a shout out to the kiddo.

Az1414 - We've all had runs like that. Can you take anything at all away; any lessons leaned? Then it wasn't wasted.

linus - I wondered if they would cancel the relay. I wan't sure exactly what roads it was on.

Mrs. Coyote (RunnerGirl)  volunteered at the Denver Triathlon yesterday. It was a last minute decision, so instead of getting to sleep in, I was awakened at 5:30 on Sunday with instructions to drop her off at the start area at 6! Went out for lunch after the race with her coach, who competed, and his "entourage"

Today's run was 3.7 miles around the lake, just an easy 9:30 pace.  My 18 week marathon training starts a week from today, so this is my last unstructured week until late October. I ran in my NB MR20s. I really like these shoes. They're light and comfortable, and put me on my midfoot real well. I hope they last me through training! I rotate through 3 pair of shoes. It's tough because I like my Minimus models so much I never want to run in the conventional shoes!

Have a great week, all!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3,055. Jun 11, 2012 9:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Congratulations to everyone on their strong runs!

I ran last week on Monday and Tuesday evening but have not run since.  I have a seriously hard time dealing with the heat, I think it's worse because it came on so suddenly.  I planned to get up on Sunday and run but my DAS (Dear Athletic Supporter) had a reunion party on Saturday and we stayed out a little too late.  Plus I was wearing heels and got some 'lovely' cramps in my calves over night.

So then I thought maybe I'd get up early on Monday (today) to run but it's still too bloody hot out for me.  And humid!!  And besides I am a person who loves my sleep so it's tough for me to roll out most days anyway.

At least I have been getting in my other workouts.  The weather is supposed to 'break' some time today; if it's cooler when I get out of work I have determined that I will run but if it's still hot it'll be the Y again. 

I just marked my calendar, it's 15 weeks until my half.  My training plan is 12 weeks long and I'm actually on week 3 already but I know I have got to get going..

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• aluecker Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    3,056. Jun 11, 2012 10:25 AM (in response to OshCat)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

wow!  i am SO impressed with everyone's times and trainings.  as a new runner, i am inspired (and definitely intimidated) by what amazing runners participate here.  i'm pretty sure i couldn't keep up with most of you for even 1 mile! 

last week got away from me and i missed a training run on Thursday.  I ended up running the garden of the gods 10 miler on Sunday morning.  it started at 7am (wowzer, early) and was MUCH hillier and windier than i was anticipating.

i finished in 1:40:41, which was not as good as i was hoping, but overall i was pleased with my effort.  i walked for 2 20-second bursts on 2 of the biggest hills to get my bearings and ran the rest.  i also have a chronic calf injury that i just can't shake (it's been almost 1.5 years now) and i managed to tweak that again in mile 7.

long story short, it's in the books, i learned, i grew, and i'm focusing on my next goal - my first half marathon on the 23rd.

4/28/12 - Get in Gear 10k Minneapolis - 59:50

5/12/12 - Highline Canal 10k - 58:44

6/10/12 - Garden of the Gods 10 miler - 1:40:41

7/1/12 - Copper Mountain (TRAIL) Half Marathon (my first!) - 2:41:34 (i survived!)

8/11/12 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - TBD

9/22/12 - Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

10/21/12 - St. Louis Rock & Roll Half Marathon

12/2/12 - Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    3,057. Jun 11, 2012 11:09 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I love living vicariously through y'all.

I had a short very slow walk this morning on the treadmill. 2.68 miles in 45 mins. The first 20 mins was spent multi tasking calling for a replacementID so I can get off the ship again. Haven't been outside since last Monday . It's horrible! Upper body is sore. Did a lot of lifting and pulling and pushing of carts and boxes yesterday. It's like built in cross training.

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,058. Jun 11, 2012 11:39 AM (in response to Julia66)

Hi, I'm new here but see a lot of great inspiration in your posts. Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Think you might be able to help. I've been having a rash of bad runs. I get out about 1.5 or 2 mi. and start feeling breathing problems and thinking about quitting. Sometimes I push on a little further; sometimes I quit and walk. There's been humidity and I've forgotten to use my inhaler but this happened even when the weather was cooler and I used it. I ran my first HM 5/6 and ran another 5/20. I haven't run more than 4 mi. at a time since and that was only once. Most runs have been around 3 mi. with walking. Someone suggested I might just be having trouble bouncing back but it's been a while. I start training for another HM in about 4 wks. and don't want to backtrack a lot. Besides, running used to be fun. Not feeling the love. 

Julia and OshCat, the heat can feel much warmer when it's humid. Also, concrete and blacktop makes hot weather hotter. If I can't beat the heat by running early or late (buggy in the dark), I try to find shade or water but then you can see from my complaints how well that's worked lately. Folks in FL say your body eventually adjusts to the heat and humidity. I wonder if they mean after a few weeks or years.

Glad you are getting out. Enjoy those runs! 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,059. Jun 11, 2012 12:58 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.26 miles 49 min. Champion Hills. Nice time for that route. Nice running ya'll.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...