Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

841468 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 ... 315 Previous Next
  • PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Welcome Foxtrotalot! My advise....for what it's worth... foam roller and roll the dickens out of your calf muscles a couple of times per day. Also, pick up a book at the library on self massage and massage the calf muscle.  Maybe it would help.  Glad you have joined our little group and as Mary Kay said, stick around and you will fit right in.

Kathy, WOW! You never cease to amaze! A hole in one!  Like Steve said, buy those lotto tickets and WHEN you win, you can host all of our group to one of the big races. You  are on a roll!  Or maybe we could all come down and run in your park, it sounds like a runner's paradise.

yourun, if your hubby is like most men.....present company excepted.....LOL, he will have to decide on his own that a HM would be better option.

Phyllis, you will do great on your hm! You are such an inspiration. I wanna be just like you, when I grow up.   I take care of my 84 yo Mother several days per week, who has alzheimers and is reluctant to do any activity. I think of you and say to myself, I wanna be running half marathons when I'm in my 80's.....and I fully expect I will be! Daddy is 86, and while he is in pretty good health, he has difficulty breathing and consequently, little energy. Still, he stays busy.

Pinoy, you are awesome! 9 marathons in a yr! WHEW! Congrats on being the oldest runner! What a wonderful example you set! You are fast too!

Webpro, I look forward to reading your training reports!

Steve, good luck in Duluth! I know your will do great!

DiDi, good luck w/ your 5K!  let us know how it goes. Great charity. There are so many diagnosed w\/ autism today, and many who suffer w/ it but are undiagnosed. My grandson is one of those. Sweet, wonderful, smart kid, but many hurdles to overcome.

I'm building mileage....still nowhere near your all's 30 some miles per week, but doing it systematically and hopefully with out injury. Today's run felt great. It was one where I wanted to go further, but held off so as to not increase too much. Gosh, it felt good.

Happy running everyone and if you are running a race or just a long training run this weekend....may the wind be at your back!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi there everyone,

So I ran last Tuesday, 6.5 miles, intervals on treadmill (59 mins), weights and some core exercises (45 mins); rested WED.

On Thursday, it was windy and getting pretty warm by the time I hit the trails but I was gung-ho to run about 10 miles.  I really didn't feel like it but don't we all think running will make us feel better?  I felt ok the first 4 miles thinking that my 'second wind' would kick in about then but IT DIDN'T!!  

At mile 5, I was losing energy and motivation.  I was feeling really crappy; I could tell the heat was affecting me but I had enough liquids before and during the run (I thought).   My legs were beginning to drag like I was running through cement.  I couldn't even run up the 'hills' I normally do without thinking about it.   Did I overdo it on Tuesday (intervals) with the weights??? What did I eat??  Am I dehydrated already??

I decided to do my 1 minute walk breaks about every 5 minutes instead of 12. I never experienced this before.  I was getting pretty frustrated which didn't help my energy level.  

About mile 8, I did what I NEVER done before, I SAT DOWN on a rock with my legs on another for about 2 minutes!!  I was getting more upset and just decided to run/jog until I got back to the trailhead:  9.70 miles SHEER wasted miles, took me almost 2 HOURS!!  it was not pretty!!  Just AWFUL AND PITIFUL!!

I haven't run since ........... just rest until Monday.  Start all over again.  

I rode my HARLEY to the HOG Rally instead and whined about it with another runner............. she totally 'gets me' and we exchanged stories, reflections on past runs/races, gave me advice and suggestions, and just let it go; IT HAPPENS!!  Probably a combination of things.

Anyway, I hope to get back to my training. 

I could have just given up but I think how much each of you overcome personal struggles and make it!! Besides it was a long ways back to the trailhead ............safe running!!

Trail runner

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

az1414 You have been pushing alot lately. You just had an off day. It makes those good runs so much better.

I met Jeff Galloway in Orlando on Saturday. He gave me some good advice on tweaking how i do my long runs during my upcoming Marathon training.

Did 8 easy miles in some crazy heat and humidity.

Jeff Galloway 008.JPG

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

???Hi everybody,

I'm back from Rapa Nui, and wow what an experience!  The course was beautiful on the way out - fields of pink grass, tropical flowers, and volcanic cones, with temps hovering around 70 and partly cloudy skies.  The return was the toughest course I've ever run, with a monster hill right after the turnaround and a headwind all the way into town!

The roommate Marathon Tours matched me with was on her seventh continent, and she won the woman's field and a big floral crown!  I won the women's 50-54 division by virtue of being *ahem* the only entrant in the woman's 50-54 division.

Everyone involved in the event seemed to have a blast, and of course we went touring around to view the "heads" as well.  As usual I'll be posting a race report over on my blog, but don't look for it soon because I was absolutely wiped afterwards and I'm still taking it easy.  This morning I got up dawn-ish for a short 3-mile jog, and boy were my glutes complaining!

Phillys, what Marie said.  I want to be you when I grow up.  Pinoy1 too.

TTFN,

Nan

SAM_2165-small.jpg

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Webpro, LOVE the pic of you and Jeff!! You guys look so healthy and happy, like you're ready to take off running. I'm jealous. What a great opportunity!

Nan, LOVE your pic, also!! Congratulations on winning your division!!! You earned it by showing up and finishing. It must have been amazing running through a tropical paradise. Trying to picture pink grass, my mind is having trouble but I can definitely see myself by the ocean. What a great adventure!

I am now starting week three of shamelessly poor runs. Since 5/20, my longest run has been 4 mi on a 5 mi run. Sometimes the weather and health have been issues but not always. It's more like I'm going through the motions of running every other day because I don't want to lose conditioning and have to backtrack when training restarts in July. I still have knee/calf issues and am not feeling the love. Glad to hear about all your great accomplishments! It's very helpful.  

Run fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010

Well June has been a busy month for running.

Started out with a 5K that benefitted the Lincoln Park Zoo, and the end of the race went through the entire length of it.

I was hoping to finally break into the 20's (previous PR 21:09) if the legs were going to cooperate. Well it must have been my lucky running day because I flew right past the 20's and into the 19's! Placed 3rd in my age group with a 19:57.

This past weekend was my first Double Weekend. 13.1 Chicago on Saturday and North Shore Half on Sunday.

Saturday I ran with a friend of mine who wanted to finish in 1:50. Our official time was 1:50:01.

Sunday I was just going to see how I felt & go with the flow. It was warmer out but the first 8 miles were shaded. After starting out easy I just fell into a comfortable pace & held it. I was very happy to finish in 1:46! Still had enough at the end the the last 2 miles were 7:49 & 7:09.

Next up is a 5K 7/4 and then Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22.

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

Jan 20, 2010

Webpro11: WOW!! How exciting was that?!?!  Personal advice in the flesh from an olympian, INCREDIBLE!!   

Thanks for the encouragement.  I was going to run today but don't feel it .......... Tuesday doesn't look good either!

Will try for Wednesday .......... I am an early riser but not an early morning runner unless it's a race so by the time I decide to run, it's pretty warm and/or windy........... gosh, I have all these excuses!!  Can't do much of anything because the heat sucks the energy out of me.  I NEED to re-train my psychic to overcome this and get my butt out there ...........

So much to do for the move, packing, calling, etc.

mkayc:  Gosh, you and I should exchange stories during happy hour!  haha!!  Not "feeling the love" here either ...........

NANCY:  Awesome finish!! congratulations and love your photo!!

foxtrotalot:  WELCOME!!  You will find remarkable runners here and endless support!

Trail runner

• Labsrus2 Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011

I have been having fun running in recent races, read Jeff Galloway book Run Till Your Hundred, pretty good reading.

Looking for tips and training ideas to improve my 5k times, want to get under 30 minutes.

I run 3 to 4 days a week, 3.x miles each day and a longer 4 to5 mile run on the weekend.  My pace is around 10:30 minutes per mile.

My problem is that I have some aches and pains in my knees and feet when I push myself to go faster than 10 min per mile.  I rest at least one day betwwen runs.

Stretch out after each run and run a slower pace for the first 1/2 mile to warm up.

Any good books to read

I like my Lab Black just like my coffee

Corporate Challenge 5K May 22, 37 minutes 11 seconds

Fathers Day 5K, 31 minutes 55 seconds

Seneca Zoo 5K Cross Country Race, 31 minutes 25 seconds

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 2.5 mile, 22 minutes 20 seconds

Spring Forward 2.5 Mile, 28 minutes 8 seconds

Rochester 5k 30 minutes 20 seconds

Lilac 10 k 1 hour 8 minutes

Corporate Challange 3.5 mile, 34 minutes 10 seconds

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Nancy:  Congratulations on a great performance and a great picture.  The fact that you were the only one in your AG means that you were the one who committed to do the race.  You have to go back next year to see the pink grass again.

Kirk:  Well done at your 5K.  Want to go even faster?  Get them to turn one of those lions loose.

Labsrus2:  Maybe doing shorter speedwork intervals, gradually lengthening the intervals, would condition your joints?

Did 3.5 miles this morning at 6AM at a 10:00 pace.  We'll leave Thursday for Duluth.  The weather should be pretty good, with the morning low around 60.  Since we start at 6:45AM, we'll have the benefit of the cool temperatures.  The course runs northeast to southwest along Lake Superior, so we won't have the sun in our eyes.  Hope for a tailwind or no wind.  More from me when we get up there.

Good training to all this week.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• Dance Fever Mrs Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011

First time on any kind of thread, but I fit the criteria of runner 50+, actually 70+. I'm replying, as I can't figure out how to post a new msg.

Been running most of my life since age 35. Currently training for 5 and 10k's. Running about 20m a week, 5+ on Mo-We-Fr, also doing aerobics

2 days, limited weights, and dancing. Outdoor training early at 5:45am to beat the heat in Henderson, Nv. I train on a great running trail, a few gentle slopes,

mostly flat, and safe.

Let me know it this gets through to anyone.

regards/Janet

• DiDi55 Pro 120 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010

Morning All

Another 5k under my belt! However; I feel as though I should not "count it" because it was not pretty!!   I felt that I started out at a good pace for me; but quickly realized that was not the case!  Really bummed!  First race in which I caved in and walked some of it. I ended up at 41:00 minutes (not official; unable to pull up from computer)  When I glanced up at the finish line & saw the time my first thought was Oh man; if I would not have walked!!!  What I learned from that is I need to push my water intake!! As I think back; I believe I could have been a little dehydrated. Not good!  With all that being said; it was an awesome fund raiser for Autism...Whoo Hoo!!  Many walkers participated. Completed their 3 miles before we began. That was very helpful! Many strollers; happy babies; happy dogs. There wasn't just warmth from the beautiful sunshine; but the "feeling" that just being there; knowing everyone there understands that all babies are not 100% healthy; but the love for them is endless!!

I see we have some new folks.....Welcome!!  Kathy: Where that bracelet proudly!

Thought I would share another quote:  Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going!!           

Started Running August 2008

5 mile race/May 2010 59:00

5 mile race/July 2010 62:00

Half Marathon/September 2010 2:45

5 mile race/May 2011 63:00

Half Marathon 09/24/2011 2:53

5k 03/31/2012 43:00

5k 06/09/2012 41:39.5

If your tired of starting over; stop giving up!

• DiDi55 Pro 120 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010

YES JANET We received your post!!

Started Running August 2008

5 mile race/May 2010 59:00

5 mile race/July 2010 62:00

Half Marathon/September 2010 2:45

5 mile race/May 2011 63:00

Half Marathon 09/24/2011 2:53

5k 03/31/2012 43:00

5k 06/09/2012 41:39.5

If your tired of starting over; stop giving up!

Jan 20, 2010

Hi everyone!

Been quiet and NOT RUNNING since last Thursday's DISMAL & pathetic trail run of 9.7 miles in 2 HOURS  .

Decided to take some days off and start again on Monday but that came and went, no running.

Tuesday was way too busy with work. 

But on Wednesday morning (yesterday), as I was getting ready to run, my husband called after finding out that a very good friend/dental colleague of ours was involved in a motorcycle accident on Sunday.  He hit a deer and he was not wearing a helmet!!   It didn't make the papers until Tuesday.  He had to be flown in even though it was just a few miles, in critical condition. 

It is not an uncommon sight to see a deer or a herd of them running across roads here in the mountains especially in the summer but drivers and bikers aren't as cautious and alert. 

It's a biker's paradise riding through the mountains, the beautiful views, winding roads through the forest, and COOL temps.  Many visit on weekends to get away from the Phoenix heat.

My husband came home and we went to visit our friend in the ICU, unconscious still.

His parents flew in from W. VA and have been by his side since. Just heartbreaking, especially being a parent, you just don't ever want to get one of those calls, you feel helpless. 

Of course, living in a small town and an even smaller dental community .......... and some know we are bikers as well so they expressed their concern.  They I ride solo long distance and are hoping I change my mind on riding from AZ to MN by myself the end of the month.  We ALWAYS wear helmets and ride within our ability, stay alert and we do not drink and ride. 

But car drivers have accidents too, (and yes, cars are bigger than motorcycles) but lately, many drivers are PLUGGED in and TEXTING so we (bikers) are more cautious than ever before and the reason for our LOUD PIPES. 

Didn't mean to be such a downer but it made me (and my husband) reflect on life, and how it can take such a drastic turn in a split second.

The rest days so far has been great for my right knee however my psychic is trying to catch up with my body's need to run the trails before moving because I know I won't have much rugged mountain trailrunning in MN, seems like a lot of 'groomed trails' and road courses mostly, ugh!!. 

I was getting bummed out about that among other crap ............. way BEFORE I even MOVE there which is so unlike me and certainly not good for the soul, I know. 

Anyway, I was contemplating whether I should run this evening with the All Women TrailRunning group or just whine more but after visitng our friend in the ICU: LIFE IS SHORT.  So fully enjoy it daily with activities that allows you to appreciate and feel blessed you are still able to do them.  And at 52, being healthy is truly a blessing.

SAFE RUNNING everyone!!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010

DanceFeverMrs: HI NEIGHBOR!!  LOVE your name and very impressed you are running with such energy at 70+ ......... WAY TOO COOL!!  WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!!  We perfer to stay in Henderson when we visit Las Vegas and can relate to the heat.  I hope to run in the evening HM event in DEC down 'the strip' with a couple of 'younger' friends who want to run in a HM for the first time!! It depends on my work schedule and if I am in AZ at that time, we're THERE!!    If my training is going well, I might do the marathon instead. 

DiDi55:  that's the spirit!!  Nothing wrong with walking sometimes, but most importantly, the main reason for participating at all was for a cause!!  LOVE THAT!!  Sometimes we need to step back and be less selfish and connect with participants in a common cause at some of these competitive events.  I know it gives me needed motivation to stay active.

Labsrus2:  I agree with SteveBikeRun.  There are various training approaches to integrate different training regime to strengthen certain parts of the muscles to relieve certain parts of the pounding our joints has to endure and sustain in our running. Incorporating speed workouts and increasing the time intevals really does help in gaining speed.  I have realized the importance of them when I was at a stagnet period in my racing times a few years ago and I have included them in my training at least once/week since then.  Should do more but I listen to my body, my joints and muscles especially since I am more of a trail runner and they take the brunt of the rugged trails.  And at 52, I don't think I do so bad as a trail runner ............. .

SteveBikeRun:  Good Luck at Duluth!!  I hope to make it to some race events in Duluth after our move to MN. Can't wait to hear your race report ...........

KirkT:  JUST INCREDIBLE!!  you'll be a blur at the Chicago event

WAY TO GO EVERYONE, STAY COOL (IN THE HEAT)!!  Good luck to all who are running a race this weekend!!

Trail runner

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Welcome Janet! Glad to have you join our merry band of mighty masters. Stop by and post often to keep up abreast of what you are doing. We are a very supportive group.

Webpro, I loved the pic of you and Jeff Galloway! How fortunate of you to get to meet him and pick his brain. I listen to the extra mile podcasts and Kevin, the moderator is a huge fan of Galloway. His #99 had Chris twigs, the coordinator for Jeff's training programs. What a wealth of info! Chris runs marathons in just over 3 hrs and uses (I think I heard it right....I was running and I can't always walk and chew chewing gum, so my hearing may be off kilter too!) a 4 min run/20 sec walk break!!! 

Nan, tks for sharing the pic! Pink grass....this I've got to see. I really enjoy reading your race reports, esp those of place I will probably never make it to. You are doing fantastic! Take that 1st place medal and be proud!

MaryKay, keep the faith!  I believe in YOU!!!

Labsrus2, welcome! I like black labs too! They are such loving dogs. I think speed comes from experience and speed training. Are you using one day of your training per week to work on speed? Fartleks or intervals help. Also finishing out the run w/ strides.  Of course, I'm more in the tortoise speed class.   Good books? I just finished the Chi Marathon book. It is ok but if you want to learn that method, the Chi Runnig Book is better. I am currently reading"The Extra Mile" by Pam Reed an ultra marathoner. OK, but she is a better runner than writer. Runner's World Complete Book of Running edited by Amby Burfoot is full of good info. 

Kirk, you are a speed demon! I continue to be in awe! How do you monitor your pace? To set a goal of 1:50 and be right on the money is amazinng!

Steve, good luck in Duluth! May the wind be at your back!

DiDi, a finish is a finish! Be proud that you are out there running!  Glad to hear the event to support autism was so well supported.

az1414, I am so sorry to hear of your friend's accident. I pray he will be ok. The road are dangerous and we do need to be extra dilligent, whether running, biking or driving. Be patent w/ the knee, don't push the issue and wind up prolonging the agony.

I've had a good wk of running and building my base miles. Got some weight training done too. I realize the need to strengthen my core and pelvic floor. Daughter and I will do our long run (10 miles) in the morning. We are scheduling them according to her off work schedule. Hopefully, we will be up and have it done before the temp gets too high.

Take care everyone and good luck to any who are racing this weekend!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...