Skip navigation

811 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 12:42 PM by JoeG_87 RSS
JoeG_87 Amateur 17 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2012 12:08 PM

Cal Ripken Special Base running rule

This question pertains to Cal Ripken rules.

In Cal Ripken, there is the special Base Running Rule; it is quite similar to LL 7.13.  Or it used to be.

Here is the first part of the rule:

"When the pitcher is in contact with the pitcher's plate and in possession of the ball and the catcher

is in the catcher's box ready to receive delivery of the ball, base runners shall not leave their

bases until the ball has been delivered and has reached home plate.  Once the catcher has secured the

ball and the runner has stopped his forward progress, the runner must immediately return to the base."

That last sentence is the new part for 2012.  As far as I can tell, this is an unannounced rule change for 2012.

My question is, has anyone seen any interpretations related to the new sentence?

For example (in all cases the catcher catches the pitch):

a) if R2 comes off the base and stops, and then F2 plays on him and the throw goes into CF, can R2

legally advance to 3rd?

b) if R2 comes off the base and stops and then attempts a delayed steal to 3rd, where F2 plays on him and R2

is safe at 3rd, is that a legal advance?

c) R3 comes off the base and stops, F2 throws the ball to F1 but its a poor throw - can R3 legally advance to home?

More examples come to mind, but I hope you see the range of questions.

JoeG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points