Skip navigation

1417 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 11:17 AM by RedsG
babatunde11 Pro 94 posts since
Jan 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2012 7:50 PM

Basketball Help

Questions

-After mastering basic dribbles and crossovers, what is the next step?

-I already naturally have great passing ability, should I still do drills when it feels pointless?

-Are there ways to improve on defense alone?

-How can I become a more consistent shooter?

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    1. Jun 14, 2012 10:50 PM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Help

After the crossover dribble, move on to dribbling between your legs to change direction, or dribbling behind the back. These two dribbling skills actually protect the ball better than the crossover, especially when the defender is up tight on you.

If you are already a proficient passer, I would suggest still doing some exercises where you work on passing with your off hand. Why is that important?

For example, I'm right handed. But if I have the ball on the right wing and I want to penetrate middle to pass out to the player on the left wing, it's a more efficient pass ( and has less of a chance of being deflected ) if I pass it out with my left hand.

There is not a whole lot you can do " alone " to practice your one-on-one, on-ball defense except to grab a player that is much better than you and challenge him to a one-on-one game. Of course, your goal is to stop him from scoring as often as you can. If he scores on you every time, don't give up. Figure out a way to stop him without fouling.

One way to stop an opponent is to figure out which direction they like to go. Does the player always start one direction with his dribble, only to counter and change direction? Do they go to their spin move every time? Does the player have a weak hand, and if so, can you force them to use their weak hand?

Defense takes heart, desire, good footwork and balance, and the ability to move your feet. Staying on your toes and keeping a wide stance is key.

Lastly, if you want to become a more consistent shooter, you first need to have the proper mechanics. You can shoot a 1000 shots per day, but without the proper mechanics, you're more or less defeating the purpose. I am putting together some shooting videos to help players like yourself become more consistent shooters.

If you are interested, drop me an email at basketballwithcoachbeez@cox.net

All the best

Coach Beez

www.basketballwithcoachbeez.com

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

Feb 4, 2010
    3. Jun 16, 2012 12:21 AM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Help

I don't think you should ever " stop " working on your handles, even if you are a proficient dribbler. Use it, don't lose it....like they say. I feel at this point shooting and defense should be your areas of focus this summer, while keeping up your other skills.

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

Feb 4, 2010
    4. Jun 16, 2012 12:25 AM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Help

I'm old school, so I view a point guard as someone who can handle the ball under pressure and control the tempo of the game. All that crazy ball handling stuff is seldom used in a game. Try and stop your offensive player every time down the court, and be the leader on the floor.

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• RedsG Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010
    5. Jun 17, 2012 11:17 AM (in response to babatunde11)
    Basketball Help

Hi Baba,

So to reply:

• can you do all those dribbling drills with your left hand?
    • have you tried it in a game of 1 on 1 ?
    • when you pass in 2 on 2 or 3 on 3, how many turnovers do you have?
    • would work on defensive slides and full court conditioning, change of pace
    • consistent shooting starts with form, then drills, then free throw shooting
    • you should hit at least 75% of your free throws

good luck to you. 

RedsG

concord, CA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...