Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

298809 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy Go to original post 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    285. Jun 15, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to mkayc)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

WHAZZUP? I know you guys are busy. Love to read about it!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• j9blair2 Expert 40 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    286. Jun 15, 2012 7:46 PM (in response to edensacres)

Hi everyone!

I know I posted a loooooooong time ago when I first signed up for my race, but haven't been around since.  I'm trying to keep up with 2 jobs, HM training, and swim lessons (more on that later).  It's a really good thing I don't have kids yet.

My race is next Sunday, and I'm officially in freak out mode.  My 10-mile training run last week was brutal.  Well, probably not that bad.  The first 9 miles were fine, but in the last mile I was so hot, tired and dehydrated.  It's partially my fault because I wanted to get up an hour earlier, but snoozed through my alarm.  Then I didn't bring enough GU so I was hardly fueled properly.  I'm trying to be better prepared for tomorrow's training run so hopefully it will go better.

I wonder if any of you feel this way, but I really enjoy miles 4 through 8.  Maybe it's runners high, but I'm not struggling to warm-up by that point and things feel pretty good.  After that, I don't know if I'm getting bored or tired, but it seems to get much harder then.

So because anything over 9 miles stopped being fun, I got distracted by the idea of a triathlon.  At first, I thought it was going to be very expensive (my husband is unemployed).  When I started looking into and asking about my company's fitness incentives, I found out that it wasn't going to be as expensive as I thought.  Long story short, I get reimbursed $75 (100%) for an annual bike rental membership and 50% for a gym/pool membership which works out to about $7/month.

I haven't decided if I'm going to do a triathlon this year or next.  I'm waiting to decide until after my HM.  It's been really hard to stay focused, but my last training run is tomorrow!!!!

Jeanine

Started C25K: 4/28/11

Proud to Run 5k: 6/25/11 ~42:36

Chicago Women's Half Marathon: 6/24/12 ~2:49:59

Chicago Fleet Feet Super Sprint Triathlon: 8/24/12 ~1:11:28

Hot Chocolate 15k Chicago: 11/04/12 ~2:10:48

Commitment Day Chicago: 1/1/13 ~not timed

Soldier Field 10 Mile: 5/25/13 ~2:17:06

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    287. Jun 16, 2012 10:28 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hi Mary Kay and everyone else :-)

that's right it's been a busy time... the school year is winding down, everything is just crazy and I am exhausted.... Regarding running, it is interesting.... I am improving and becoming a better runner but at the same time I am frustrated and not 100% happy. Weird!! I am currently running 4 miles at the most. I improved my pace a lot. A week ago I had a record run.... running 4 miles in 37min32sec which was a pace of 9:22. :-)))) Overall my pace seems to be around 10-something on bad days (or 6+1 days) and a 9-fifty-something on good days. So why I am not happy? I guess because often I run a 6+1 style (meaning running for 6 min and powerwalking for 1 min and so on) and I don't feel like a 'true' runner like this (did I mention that I am a perfectionist?).... although I know that this is a really good approach. Also I have been struggeling with weight... I know it is ridiculous because we are talking about 3-4 lbs here ;-) But I had lost so much weight (50lbs) those past 1.5 years that it drives me crazy... Still I was hoping to lose I a little bit more.. I was able to keep my weight through out my injury induced break, ever since May my weight went up again. Thinking about it - I think it went up after starting to workout more seriously again in May... hm, it might be muscles as well... It drives me crazy though because I am used to losing weight by running a lot. But I am still not at the level I used to be - meaning I was so fit that I could run every single day if I wanted to without being sore! or having one or two long runs a week and then medium runs such as 3 or 4 miles.... (but I was a lot slower)... now I run about 3 times a week.... I am faster, and although I don't feel supersore afterwards, my body needs rest days. I am not used to this!  Last week I had pulled my back a bit so I switched to fast walking instead. This made me even more sore than running, it was funny! Thanks to PT the back is almost fine again. The hip injury slowly seems to improve as well, which is great!

Regarding Baby Kahuna, I am overly happy with her :-)))) I am still going on bike rides every other weekend (now during summer break hopefully more often), and I enjoy the rides in the mountains. My only struggle are the hills ... riding uphill is still hard for me, mostly I have to hike my bike uphill... but I think I can see a very small improvement so far. I guess  I have to be patient!

I hope everybody is well!

Happy runs and bike rides to you guys!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    288. Jun 16, 2012 10:35 AM (in response to j9blair2)

Jeanine,

I agree with you... running between 4 and 8 miles feels great. Until February ( I got injured in February) I ran up to 8 or 9 miles... to me it always seemed that the first 3 miles or so weren't that pleasant but after that I always had found a good rhythm. I just simply enjoyed running on auto-pilot around that mileage.. just enjoying listening to music and being deeply lost in my thoughts. I never went beyond 9 miles so far... but I am hoping I will be back at long distance running soon as I plan to run a HM in November.

Good luck for your HM! let us know how it went!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• emalcon1 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 13, 2012
    289. Jun 16, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

I find that it's less about distance and more about time spent on my feet. Once I start crossing the hour+ threshhold, the run stops being "fun" and becomes more drudgery.

I'm with Britta on the "deeply lost in your thoughts." It's practically meditation time for me!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    290. Jun 17, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to j9blair2)

Jeanine, I remember your posts. And your hat. Good to hear from you! Race jitters and last training runs are sooo normal. It's time to taper! YAY! and race day will be so exciting! When you get anxious about it, put the energy to work to fine tune your plan for what you will wear, eat, drink, your schedule the night before (by the hour, of course) what you will eat that night, and on. You also may be able to call the course up in video online and *run* through it mentally. That's the best advice I have. I was a wreck with my first (5/6) and did all this but then did practically nothing to prepare for the second (5/20) except a dry run for the Metro. Both came out as well as I could have expected given circumstances. I often zone out between mi 4 and 8. I love that!! It used to happen between mi. 4 and 6. It is amazing. I look at my progress and it's mi. 4 then I look again and it's mi. 7.6 and it seems like a few minutes just went by. Such a good feeling!! Maybe if you train for even longer distance, you get a longer break?

Britta, you are a speed demon on a mission! So glad to see you have bounced back nicely. Wish you tons of success in celebrating those achievements!

Had a rough session of hill climbs yesterday. I did 40 min but the group went longer. It was getting hot and I forgot to use the inhaler. Had to give myself a long run today to make up for it but have been stymied by the heat and humidity. Got up at 5 and got a new inhaler and a bunch of affirmations to use when my brain started sending me negative thoughts. Ran 8 mi in 2 hr. For me that's an improvement of 1 min on my avg LR pace. Yay! So glad I did it. BTW, the affirmations really came in handy after mi. 4.5, which is the longest run I've had since my last HM.

Steady and strong, we run right along!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

May 6, 2011
    291. Jun 18, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta,

Congrats on the 50lb weight loss!!!  You should be really proud of that!!  I've lost 40 pounds since September.  But it's not from running.  When I did the C25K program last summer, I actually ended up gaining 4 lbs.  I was pretty pissed then, because what the hell- I had been running 3x a week for several months.  When I got really sick for 3 weeks, I stopped running and decided to focus on my diet.  And I mean REALLY focus on my diet.  I read a dozen books about nutrition trying to figure out the right macronutrient ratio - especially for runners.  A friend recommended a book by Gary Taubes and from there I found a book called "Wheat Belly".  From October to March, I wasn't exercising at all except lots of walking because I live in the city, and I lost between 25-30 lbs. I only started running again in March. So what I learned from that is weight loss is less about exercise and more about diet.  Hope that helps.

With that said, I can completely relate to your weight loss frustrations.  But at some point I had a shift in thought, and decided instead of trying to aim for a specific weight, that I would aim for a range of 10 lbs.  That way, I wouldn't beat myself up too much about being a few pounds over my goal every once in a while (which I am now).  I'm still below the high end of my range and I know that with proper eating it'll go back down again (I've been stress eating because of my upcoming HM, at least that's my excuse).  Why is it important that you lose 3-4 lbs?  Weight is just a number.  Someone that is athletic and weighs the same as someone who is not athletic has a very different body.  I honestly had a VERY hard time "seeing" my weight loss.  I knew the scale was changing and my clothes were getting bigger, but it took a very long time to actually be able to tell that I lost 40 lbs.  I can't imagine that losing a few more lbs visually would make that much of a difference - at least to me.  Part of is those few pounds aren't necessarily coming from a specific area (waist, hips, etc).  I took my measurements and found that I was losing weight around my arms, fingers too.  Fat is stored in all kinds of places.  Just don't beat yourself up over a couple of extra numbers.

The other thing is the running/racewalking.  I'm slow...super-slow.  You should be proud of the 10 min pace on your "bad days".  I signed up for the HM that has a 15:00 min/mile max pace (All the others are 13:30) because I'm afraid I'm going to go over the 13:30 pace.  When I ran my first 5k last year, I INSISTED that I run the entire time.  You know what happened?  The runners/racewalkers finished before me.  I decided to throw my hangups about "running" the entire way out the window, and I am PROUDLY going to be running for 4 minutes, walking (slow) for 1 minute for my entire HM race.  I'm proud of that, because I still know I'm going further than the couch potato I used to be.

Okay, sorry - I'll get off my soap box now.

I did my last training run Saturday.  It's the inaugural race, so they don't have past pics or video and just posted the map on Friday night.  So Saturday morning, I went out to run (most of) it.  There is a one mile turn-around loop that I didn't do, but I ran 11 miles, and walked another mile to cool down.  This week went much better than the week before.  I was well fueled and well hydrated and I managed to get up super-early so a) it would be cooler and b) I could be at the race site around the time the race would start next week.  My pace is just at 13:30, but I did stop to help a women who collapsed for a couple of minutes.

Right now, I'm feeling very prepared with the exception of having my race packet.  I practiced my evening and morning routine (including breakfast) and the only thing that took longer than expected was locating one of dozens of sunscreen bottles in my apartment - which at 5:30am is hard to do while trying not to wake up my husband.  I'll make sure to leave the sunscreen out, along with everything else, next Saturday night. 

Jeanine

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    292. Jun 19, 2012 5:42 AM (in response to j9blair2)

Hi everyone.  Good luck Jeanine for your upcoming HM.  Mary Kay and I were in your shoes before our 13.1 race.  Anxious, nervous, scared out of our wits that we will not be able to finish the race but with our determined mindset and never say die attitude, we finished two HM races.  Just believe in your training plan, taper at least a week before the race, and proper fueling, you will be crossing that finish line with a smile on your face (definitely practice that smile for the cameras). 

Mary Kay - wow, what an impressive line up of races.  3 HMs before the year ends.  You are so inspirational.  Congrats on your 2-hour  8-mile long run. 

Britta - Be careful of not overdoing things.  Things may flare up.  Recovery/rest days are important.  You will get to longer distance running come November before your HM race.   Loving your bike ride stories with baby kahuna.

My training for the triathlon just started this June.  I finally got the diamondback airen bike.  Like britta, I am enjoying the bike rides, though at first, I had painful and sore glutes for a day or two.  Still need to learn how to change a flat tire but still learning the proper form of bike riding.  Of note, after purchasing the new bike and that would be the last purchase for the triathlon.  Then came, bottle carriage, portable hand pump, bike shoes, biking shorts or Tri shorts for comfort, aero fuelbox, plus had to get buy a new pair of swim goggles since my old ones were fogging up.  These little things are easily adding up to be quite an expense.  Now putting a little overtime work to cover for the Tri registration fee, a swimming coach for five 1-hour sessions, pool fees, etc.  Really saving up for a new pair of newton shoes and Tri apparel.  Sigh, what did I get into?  But working out during the early morning hours, running or biking, definitely worth every cent spent, a real high for me.

Run safe, run strong, run fierce.

• Simply Brina Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 11, 2012
    293. Jun 19, 2012 6:44 PM (in response to edensacres)

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and will be running my first HM this Sunday here in Chicago. The Chicago Women's Half Marathon. I just started back running in February after stopping for a few years. I did a 5k in April but I hadn't planned on running a HM at all, but was inspired by several women in my running group. I did my last long run on Sunday. I did 12 miles (the longest I have ever ran before). I missed my running for today, but will get my short, easy runs in tomorrow and Wednesday.

Sabrina

Brina

Peachtree Road Race-10K, 2000 & 2001

Run 4 Rehab-5K 4/21/12

Chicago Disco Dash-5k 6/21/12

Chicago Women's Half Marathon 6/24/12

Chicago Half Marathon 9/2013

Fort2Base 11NM 11/2012

Monster Dash Half Marathon 10/2012

IL Marathon 4/2013

BOA Chicago Marathon 10/2013

May 6, 2011

Awesome Sabrina, I'm running the same HM on Sunday!!  I did my training run along the course, and it's nice.  Mostly along the lake so it should be beautiful.

I have a question about blisters.  I just noticed a blister today on the tip of my 2nd toe.  I unintentionally popped it just trying to examine it.  A little of it goes under the nail.  It's not really painful, but I'm just curious what I should do about it.  I'm just hoping it doesn't cause issues for Sunday. 

Jeanine

• MountainRunner48 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 20, 2012
    295. Jun 20, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to edensacres)

Hi All,

I am taking the leap as well. I only have time for a quick post, but wanted to jump in here. I have done a couple 5ks over the years and now am getting back into running full tilt. I run 4 times a week (2 short, 1 med., and 1 long run) and have worked up to an 8 mile long run once a week. Each week now I will add 1 mile to the long run. I am training for my 1st half marathon in October. But, before that, I am doing a 10k in August as part of my training. Running is my release time; my destress time. And I love it, sore muscles and all. I am not the fastest runner, but I never quit on my runs. My plan is to do a full marathon before I turn 40 next year. My daughter, who is 8, said to me the other day, "Wow, mom! That's a lot of miles. I don't think you could run that many (meaning the full marathon)."  So, now the gauntlet has been thrown down. Sometime next year, I WILL complete a full marathon.

Good luck to you all!!! Happy Running

Happy Running!

Mountain Runner

Run Through Redlands 5K, 28:15, 8th place age group 4/22/12

Run Through the Pines 10K, 58:16, 4th place age group 8/11/12

Long Beach International Half Marathon October 2012

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008

Good for you MountainRunner! What half are you running in October? I turn 42 this year and I  will be running my first full at the Marine Corps Marathon in DC.  I am running the Stratton Faxon half marathon this Sunday in Fairfield, Ct!  It will be my fourth.

Good luck!

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

Sep 30, 2008

Good luck Sabrina! Running a half in Fairfield, Ct myself on Sunday.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

Sep 30, 2008
    298. Jun 20, 2012 6:06 PM (in response to emalcon1)

I find that changing my course on each of ny long runs keeps it exciting and new especially as the runs get longer.  My long run is on Saturday so on Friday i plan out a route I think will be interesting.  I live on long Island so I like to try and get near the bay or ocean as much as I can. 

Good luck!

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

• Simply Brina Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 11, 2012
    299. Jun 21, 2012 6:36 AM (in response to j9blair2)

Oh cool Jeanine! I live in the south suburbs, so I was not able to do my training in the city. But I am looking forward to the view of running on the lake Sunday! I was starting to get a blister on my large toe, but it was due to me needing new shoes. I have noticed, when I do my longer runs, the tips of my toes are sore. Another lady in my running group told me after she did her first HM, her toes and toe nails were sore and turned black, then eventually came off. So I will make sure all of my toe nails are short come Sunday.

Good luck Sunday!

Sabrina

Brina

Peachtree Road Race-10K, 2000 & 2001

Run 4 Rehab-5K 4/21/12

Chicago Disco Dash-5k 6/21/12

Chicago Women's Half Marathon 6/24/12

Chicago Half Marathon 9/2013

Fort2Base 11NM 11/2012

Monster Dash Half Marathon 10/2012

IL Marathon 4/2013

BOA Chicago Marathon 10/2013