Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

638341 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Dtothe2nd Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,150. Jun 17, 2012 4:50 AM (in response to apeppel)
    My last run was...how was yours?

And on the 7th day, the tired runner rested   Taking today off, well, I'll be doing a lot of walking at Busch Gardens, so I guess we can call it an active recovery day lol  Then tomorrow I'm back on it.  I'm kinda bummed, I used mapmyrun to check the route I run through the neighborhood and it was about a half mile shorter than I thought I was running.  So I've created a new route and will be running a verified 5.41 mile route tomorrow.

- Dave

-----------------

2012 Races

- OK5K - 25:45 - PR

- CHKD 8K - 41:34 - PR

Future Races

- South Norfolk Jordan River Bridge Bash & River Run (5k) - 7/14

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,151. Jun 17, 2012 7:01 AM (in response to jmsab23)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

jmsab23:Thank you for posting the article on carbo loading.  It clears up when to eat pasta.

runslowdan: Congratulations!  May there be many more years together. 

And on the seventh day, this runner rested, too...or at least slowed down to a long walk.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,152. Jun 17, 2012 7:27 AM (in response to CKLindsay)

Ran 3.4 mi hill climbs with training group yesterday. Dropped down to the beginners and was able to stay in the middle of the pack but quit a little before they did, around 40 min in. forgot my inhaler and day was getting hot. Again. I was disappointed so got out this morning and ran 8 mi. in 2 hr after using a new inhaler. For you jackrabbits, this is an average pace of a whole minute less than my past long runs so I am getting stronger. Or, adjusting to the weather. Or I had been using an empty inhaler. Feeling a little better about training now.

Run strong and run long!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 8, 2011
    3,153. Jun 17, 2012 7:33 AM (in response to mkayc)

Oh, meant to say I started with a banana and a little coconut water. Had three cliff shots and 8 oz of coconut water during. Never felt hungry or needing fuel. Had a rash of nasty thoughts signaling stress from being tired beginning after mi. 5 but chanted positive affirmations to silence my demons. So, I guess I had a fasted run also. Funny, I changed and went to breakfast after and couldn't really eat. Had one egg and picked at fruit and 1/2 slice of toast but the coffee tasted good!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• aluecker Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    3,154. Jun 17, 2012 8:04 AM (in response to mkayc)

i did 12 miles yesterday as per my marathon training schedule (higdon).

i've been having trouble figuring out my mid-run nutrition so i decided to go without yesterday and see if i could manage it.

(shot bloks - my preference and pre-run fuel - give me horrible heartburn unless i drink a lot of water and i usually don't take that much water with me.  tried gu but that makes me gag - can't handle the texture)

big mistake.  i was out.of.gas at about 8 miles and really struggled to finish.

my right pinky toe also started throbbing with about 3 miles to go.  i figured a too-long nail there was giving me an issue.  i was right, but there's also a huge blood blister around the nail on the outside.  i drained it but it is still super sore today and the blister is back.  i dread putting on the running shoes tomorrow.

long story short, i finished in 2:15, which i guess i'm ok with for building mileage.  i just wish that it hadn't been such a struggle at the end.

i saw the gatorade fuel yesterday and picked some up to try mid-run. has anyone tried it?  i'm thinking about getting an add-on for my nathan belt and drinking that after about an hour.

on the bright side, as i'm building mileage (and trying to ignore my times) i'm focusing on how far i can run before i really feel like i'm working at it, if that makes sense.  yesterday i got to about 6.5 miles before i really felt like it was work.  the first 4.5 really felt like i couldn't believe i had already run that far.  cruise control to about 6.5.  then work to the end.

next weekend is a 13, so i'm debating running my first half.  i'll make up my mind this week.

congrats on all the races from this weekend!

4/28/12 - Get in Gear 10k Minneapolis - 59:50

5/12/12 - Highline Canal 10k - 58:44

6/10/12 - Garden of the Gods 10 miler - 1:40:41

7/1/12 - Copper Mountain (TRAIL) Half Marathon (my first!) - 2:41:34 (i survived!)

8/11/12 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - TBD

9/22/12 - Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

10/21/12 - St. Louis Rock & Roll Half Marathon

12/2/12 - Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,155. Jun 17, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to aluecker)

Haven't posted in the last week but have been reading all of yours.  They continue to be very inspiring,  especially the ones from relatively newer runners who are achieving weight loss, general fitness, distance and time goals.  Keep up the great work!

The reason for my lack of posting is my lack of running.  Have only gotten one run in this week and doubt I will get one in today as it is already 85 degrees at 10:30 AM.  The reason for my lack of running is some very bad news we received related to my dear friend and work colleague's daughter, Avery,  who at age 11 has been battling brain cancer since last August.  This week they learned that Avery only has weeks to live.

As a result, we have continuedndoing double duty at work and spending as much time with the family as possible.

It is beyond words to imagine this could happen to anyone, much less a family as beautiful as theirs.  Since being diagnosed, Avery has chosen to live by the motto of "Fearless".  For the last 10 months, I and many others have dutifully worn our purple "Fearless" bracelets, and our "I run to be Fearless" Nike tech shirts in all of our races.  It wasn't until yesterday, when I saw her laying in bed unable to talk, and barely able to move, that I understood what "fearless" means.  It means being graceful at all times, no matter the circumstance, it means accepting God's will, no matter how that may or may not make sense to us.  It means smiling when you are sad, loving when you are mad.  It means giving more than you take for whatever time you have here.

I have not had more than 4 straight hours at any time this week where I have not broken down and wept, including two times during my one and only 4.5 mile run this week.  I don't know how long Avery will be with us, but I do know that as a 49 year old father of 3 college aged children and husband to a beautiful wife of 23 years, that I have learned far more from Avery than she could have possibly learned from me.  Please say a prayer for her and her family.

I share the above because today is Father's Day.  For any of you blessed to have children, give them a kiss today and say I love you.  We do not know how long we have but treasure each day and treat each moment with your family as truly special.

As for running, it has been one of my focal points over the last 1-1/2 years.  It has helped me get healthier and fitter, feeling again like I did when I was in my 20's.  It has helped me focus my thoughts, learn again what I can do to commit to a goal, work hard, and then achieve it.  Right now it is hard to imagine lacing up and heading out just for myself, but I sure miss it when I don't.  I hope to get back to some regular running in the next couple of weeks.

Keep working hard, keep helping others, and keep inspiring...and most of all, be "fearless" in all that you do.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,156. Jun 17, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to aluecker)

Dtothe2nd - nice race time!  And happy "rest" day today.

jd - nothing beats a really good run

OldCoyote - that must have been a fast group!  "I love hills" - I'm hoping your enthusiasm for hills is contagious.

BobL204 - if anyone can sympathize over calf issues it's me.  Feel better soon.

runslowdan - happy anniversary!

MaryKay - good job on the 8 miles.  Sounds like the new inhaler is doing its job.

aleucker - my first 2 miles or so always feel like work - and then they get easier.  On my longest run to date a month or so ago miles 5-8 were the easiest (out of 9 total).

linuscatch - I have been thinking of Avery in the last week or so and I didn't know why - perhaps God knew she needed extra prayers.  I just cannot fathom why this would happen to anyone - especially a child - but there are no answers to why's such as this.  I am sure you are a source of strength for her and her family.  Prayers for all of you.

Today was 5.36 miles in 1:04:45 - pretty good when you consider I still did intervals -  1:1 for the first leg then 2:1 for a 1/2 mile or so, and 3:1 around the pond (about 2 miles) and back to 2:1 for the trip home.  Stretched, rolled, and sat in church with the ice pack velcro'd around my calf.  Sore but not painful and no limping. 

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    3,157. Jun 17, 2012 10:23 AM (in response to linuscatch)

God bless Avery as he walks her home. Tears.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,158. Jun 17, 2012 12:13 PM (in response to mkayc)

mkayc:  WAY TO GO!!  very impressive and you provided a challenge for me to do a back to back run ........... sometime, LOL!!  I use to do that now and then; feeling crappy about a run one day and the next day, it still gnaws at you so much that you just go for another run to 'make up' for the lackluster run the day before.  It feels so rewarding and in the end, can't help but say, "SO THERE!!"  haha!!  You are doing so awesome in your progress!!

aluecker:  Oftentimes, I tend to still feel sluggish for about 4 miles, then I get a kick in the butt, and can run until I reached my goal or it gets dark.  LOVE THAT surge of adrenaline which I definitely need when the hills are working my legs to the max. OMG!!  Totally can relate to the BLISTER issue: been there, done that almost every race but much more painful during/after marathons!!  My husband takes pictures of them and shows them to non-runners who GROAN and cannot fathom why I would do that to myself ............... wussies!! haha!! I put a band-aid on them, and coat my feet with athletes foot powder and that seems to lessen any discomfort on my runs ............. feet aren't pretty anymore but they sure are 'tough' tackling those rugged technical trails, LOL!!

runslowdan:  Wishing you many more wonderful years, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your wife!!

Debm2011: GREAT workout, takes alot of patience and discipline ........ had to chuckle at the "stretch, rolled, and sat in church with the ice pack velcro'd around my calf" ......... must have been quite a sight and 'show' for the congregation, HAHA!!   

RESTED Saturday instead ......... really should have gone for a run, but hoping I have some time later this evening when things slow down ............just so much to do with the organizing (aka, summer cleaning) and packing for the move ........ NEXT WKEND!!  YIKES!!

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,159. Jun 17, 2012 12:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

linuscatch: May the Creator's grace and strength guide and surround Avery and her family.  Her life has definitely touched everyone on this thread. 

Trail runner

Jun 8, 2011
    3,160. Jun 17, 2012 12:26 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Linuscatch, would running help you be stronger for Avery, her family and yours? I know of crying during runs. Crying isn't a bad thing but the thoughts you are having drain your energy. Whenever I'm having problems and body gets tired, my brain floods me with my worst fears and I end up crying. I believe on Thurs. I lost another relationship I had hoped would mature to something so I needed today's run to work out. Got a list of affirmations to drown out the horrible thoughts. They really came in handy. My faves: Relax, relax, to achieve the max; In control and ready to roll; Let your legs flow like H2O; Deep in my gut I know I'll kick butt; steady and strong, I move right along. I know it sounds artificial but it works on the same priniciple as relaxation breaths during childbirth. If you occupy your mind with an exercise, it won't be able to send you sad thoughts. It can only do one thing at a time. If you decide to run, maybe this will work.

Mary Kay

• Abbyspapaw Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2012
    3,161. Jun 17, 2012 12:50 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

well dear,compared to that i really cannot compete. but i did run my very first 5k race yesterday in somerset,ky.my daughter and son-in-law asked me to run in it and I am really glad they did.as i am in my 50's and am way late in taking care of myself. I walked/ran it in 44 minutes, so that wasn't to bad for a greenhorn. now i am looking for another one to run that is not to far from corbin,ky.it was the hardest i have exerted my body in a long time but still was very satisfying when i crossed that finished line!who where this might lead? take care all who read this and RUN HAPPY!

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    3,162. Jun 17, 2012 2:43 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I ran 10 miles, kind of proud of myself. I ended up taking a 3 hour nap after but it was well deserved. 3 more miles until a half!!!

Happy Father's Day!

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    3,163. Jun 17, 2012 5:46 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Very sorry to hear about Avery.

No run today. Did a 4 mile walk with a head cold yesterday. Was practically crawling to keep my heart rate around 60%

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,164. Jun 17, 2012 6:29 PM (in response to az2mn)

LOL az1414 - for the record I did stretch and use the foam roller at home first.  The long skirt hid most of the ice pack (although my fellow parishioners have seen the ice pack come out after one  Sunday long run or another). And it helps that our minister is a runner (I've run 2 races with her so far this year).    Happy packing - good luck with the move.

MaryKay - sorry for your troubles, but it sounds like you're working through things just fine. 

Nice job Abbyspapaw!  Keep up the good work.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...