Skip navigation

2049 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2012 3:11 PM by Ksewell75 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 16, 2012 7:46 PM

17th Annual RC Cola-Moon Pie 10 Mile Run Reviews

Share your experiences with the 17th Annual RC Cola-Moon Pie 10 Mile Run below Back to event details page.

• ryanre Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2012
    1. Jun 16, 2012 7:47 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 17th Annual RC Cola-Moon Pie 10 Mile Run Reviews

This was a fun race.  I got into town about 45 minutes before the start.  Check-in was a breeze.  The route was beautiful.  The course was open to traffic, but there were plenty of police around and the locals were very cooperative as well.  There wasn't much crowd support, but the folks that were out were great!  It was pretty warm, but most of the course had shade trees.  Several nice hills as well.  I highly recommend.

• -John Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    2. Jun 17, 2012 10:18 AM (in response to Guest )

If you are going to run a 10 miler in June, it would be hard to find a better one in Tennessee. As it turned out the weather was pretty good. There was a breeze most of the way and the shade trees were bigger than last year thanks in part to a mild winter and warm spring. The management was great including all the polyjohns in many locations. I really liked the chip start that way even if you are 20 seconds late you can still have your time correct. The food afterwards was good, once my nausea passed. The grape handler guy was just a little OCD, bless his heart.

• amwiggins Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 24, 2010
    3. Jun 17, 2012 10:48 AM (in response to Guest )

I was very disappointed in this race. It seemed very unorganized, except for the check in. The water stations were serving luke warm water and sports drinks..one station was not prepared at all and didn't have the sports drinks ready. There were no crowds along the way which was extremely boring. The roads were not closed off so we had to watch out for cars. Thank God no one I was around got hurt because I didn't see one EMT or emergency personnel on the route. There were no bathrooms along the way either. I overheard and witnessed many people saying they had to potty in the woods (the woods belong to homeowners and I would not appreciate someone relieving themselves on my property!). Although the end was unorganized as well, it was the best part only because they had good food. I was very surprised at how amateur the race felt considering I've heard it's been around for a while. Needless to say, we will not be running in this race ever again.

On a lighter note, I hope others had a better experience than I did!

• JerryLane0 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 26, 2011
    4. Jun 17, 2012 11:38 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time running this event.  Love the country run.  Helped me to work on my hills when running.  I will be back next year.  People were great.

• Becca0414 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 11, 2011
    5. Jun 17, 2012 1:44 PM (in response to Guest )

Was looking forward to the race.  Sounded fun and it was the 17th year.  Check in was fast and easy.  Parking wasn't an issue (we got the an hour early).  The run itself was nice and scenic.  We train on hills so I was impressed with the rolling hills but they were fun.  Back half wasn't hilly at all.   My complaints come with many others.  I did not like having to run around cars for 10 miles.  The road should have been closed and cleared for the race and they were not.  People stuck in cars watching us and runner having to run side to side around cars.  Most cars kept driving regardless of the 100's of runners.  If I wanted to watch for cars and more around them I would have run in my neighborhood.  The other negative is the fact there was not one port a potty on the entire course.  it was not an issue for me but as you know.....if it is an issue.......you need to have one.  I do not stop for water so I can't comment on the water stations.  Food after was good.  Overall, I did enjoy the run, I just wish the roads had been cleared.  I recently for the inaugural Viola Half and all the roads were clear and vehicle free and it was amazing!!!  Not the case in Bell Buckle, which is sad for the 17th year

• jayhuff Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jun 17, 2012 4:40 PM (in response to Guest )

Second year to run this race and it was great both years. Very well organized and great food at the finish.

• JessicaGetz Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    7. Jun 17, 2012 4:58 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first year running this event.  I enjoyed the route and like that it was in the country.  I'm not sure I'd describe most of the course as "rolling hills," but I survived.  I didn't like that the road wasn't closed - cars got stuck and runners needed to watch for vehicles for the duration of the race (some of those drivers were moving pretty quickly through the runners).  Water stations were not always prepared and there were no bathrooms long the route.  Check in was super easy.  The end of the race was incredibly unorganized - I didn't enjoy waiting in line for something to eat (I did just run 10 miles!).  Overall, decent race, but I definitely expected more considering it's been around for as long as it has.  That being said, I'd probably try it again next year and hope for better organization.

• Scott Abernathy Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2008
    8. Jun 18, 2012 6:31 AM (in response to Guest )

The first five miles has lots of shade trees and was very hilly, especiall the big one at about 4.5 miles in. Once you crest the big one the last five miles was relatively flat and easy, but with no shade and became very hot. The scenes were beautiful rolling hills, barns and fields. Good race.

• TheMartian Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    9. Jun 18, 2012 8:52 AM (in response to Guest )

Great event. Great community. Great people. And as always, the Nashville Striders did and excellent job with the event. This was my second year running this race and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. 

• Eran Miller Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011
    10. Jun 18, 2012 9:02 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my second year running this race and I was even more impressed with how weel organized it was.....This is becoming one of my favorite races...I kept asking myself why do I really want to run up that big hill?

• DWilkerson5 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 14, 2010
    11. Jun 18, 2012 5:34 PM (in response to Guest )

The course was great however the traffic on the race course was very dangerous.  The drink stations were given warm water to serve to runners, not what I was expecting.  The port-o-potties at the start finish line were great.  Should have been a couple fo port-o-potties along the race course.

• Sandy53272 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 15, 2010
    12. Jun 18, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 8th time to run it.  Hot and hilly as always.  Cooler this year.  It is a fun run and a challenge.  Always carry my own water because 2 miles between water stations is a long way in that heat. Well supported and good food after.

• JenTMoore Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 1, 2008
    13. Jun 19, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to Guest )

Great day was had by all! The course was challenging but was prepared. The best part was at mile 7 there was a tractor rigged with a water hose for a shower! How great is that? Only in Bell Buckle. The people were great and the biscuits with honey were a unique touch. I would definitely do it again.

• marty313 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 8, 2010
    14. Jun 19, 2012 2:02 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a great race! It was my first time running it, but I'll be back next year. The course was great -- very pretty, and I liked the rolling hills and the shade. The people were great too. The warm water at the water stations was not ideal, but not a big issue for me -- I only need a couple of sips every couple of miles. As others have said, there weren't any porto-potties along the course, but -- it's only 10 miles. I for one didn't mind the traffic so much; I only saw a handful of cars, maybe 10 or 15 during the whole course. I was surprised to see them, but I didn't think they were dangerous. The drivers were very respectful. Someone made a comment about not wanting to wait in line for food at the end of the race, but a) it's only 10 miles, so it's like you're dying, and b) the food was hot, so of course they had to have a station to keep it that way, and of course you had to wait in line for it. And speaking of the food -- it was awesome. Loved the biscuits, and especially loved the popsicles for those waiting in line. That was a perfect touch.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...