Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2158448 Views 11,398 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2014 5:12 PM by patti7177 Go to original post 1 ... 699 700 701 702 703 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Dtothe2nd Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,500. Jun 14, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to rebrck)
    200+ Pound Club!

You can do it rebrck! 

- Dave

-----------------

2012 Races

- OK5K - 25:45 - PR

- CHKD 8K - 41:34 - PR

Future Races

- South Norfolk Jordan River Bridge Bash & River Run (5k) - 7/14

• jdcarnes Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    10,501. Jun 15, 2012 12:16 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello!! New guy on the block here....

My story:

I was at 292 lbs as of November 2011. I was taking blood pressure medication for years, found out late last year that I was staring diabetes in the face, high triglycerides, fatty liver, severe sleep apnea, etc...  On January 4th of this year, I got serious about losing weight and getting myself healthy. I was having way too many health problems and was very seriously concerned about making it to my 50th birthday without some sort of MAJOR health issue(s). I'm married with 3 small children at home, 2 away from home and 2 grandkids.

I live on a .45 mile loop and started out by walking about a mile a day. I decided to try and jog one day, so I started at one corner and made it about 50-60 yards or so....and I was done. Then I found an iPhone app called 5k Runner. It was an absolute LIFE CHANGER! I followed the training plan exactly as laid out. I also made the same mistake that I know many of you did....looking ahead at weeks 4-5-6-7-8. I thought to myself 'there is NO WAY IN HE** I can do that!!! Well, to make a long story longer, I did the entire 8 weeks in a matter of about 5-6 weeks. I made up my mind to simply run every other day and take 2 days off if I needed to. I also repeated any day that I wasn't able to finish on my next scheduled run. I ended up having to repeat 2 of the runs.I cannot believe how quickly my stamina improved! I ran my very first 5k race on April 29th, 2012. I had to walk part of it but I finished! I ran my second 5k on May 19th, 2012 and was able to run the entire distance in a time of :31.24. I am now registered to run the Joplin Mother Road Half Marathon on October 14th (I'm using the Runmeter iPhone app to train for this)....and I am nervous beyond belief! I have no idea why because every single time I've told myself that I 'can't do' something, I've done it!! I am also about 90% sure that I am going to register for the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon on April 28th, 2013...if I can get through the HM ok, it's a done deal!!

Needless to say, I also changed what I was eating. I used MyFitnessPal.com and walked through the profile setup. I didn't worry about any of the macro percentages....just took the number of calories it allowed me and stuck to it. In a matter of 5.5 months and as of this morning, I have lost 79 lbs since Nov 2011. I have done nothing else besides running. No weights, no yoga, no aerobics, no cycling.....purely running (walk/jog/run). I am totally, 100% hooked on running now - even though I have a right knee that needs to be replaced. I am 45 years old and I've had 3 surgeries on it....the last one being 15 years ago. At that time I was told I would need a replacement. Funny thing is, my knee hasn't felt this good in a LONG, LONG time since I've started running. I now have muscles in my legs that I don't EVER remember having before (and I wrestled for over 15 years!!).

Today, I'm a brand new man! No more BP meds, no more threat of diabetes, no fatty liver....hell, I don't even SNORE anymore, much less have sleep apnea!

I'm currently at 213 lbs and still losing. I look forward to reading about some of your stories and successes!! If you're already using MyFitnessPal, shoot me a friend request! My ID is jcarnes66.

Fastest times:

1 mile 8:03 (8/14/12)

2 mile 17:16 (6/29/12)

5k 31:24

10k 1:10:37

8k 1:29:26

13.1 2:24:58

2012 races:

CJ Y.E.P 5K, Carl Junction, MO 04/29/2012 31:52

Joplin Memorial Half Marathon/5k, Joplin, MO 05/19/2012 31:24 (PR)

The Cancer Challenge 10k Bentonville, AR 6/23/2012 1:10:37 (PR)

2012 upcoming races:

Tulsa Glow Run Tulsa, OK 8/25/2012

Joplin Mother Road Marathon/Half Marathon/5k, Baxter Springs, KS to Joplin, MO 10/14/2012 (registered)

• SnackerChris Pro 163 posts since
    Dec 8, 2010
    10,502. Jun 15, 2012 12:26 PM (in response to jdcarnes)
    200+ Pound Club!

WOW JD!  What an accomplishment so far!  Way to go!  Way to change!

FLIP THE SWITCH! If I can lose 130 pounds in a year without pills or surgeries or food programs, so can you!

Snacks All The Weigh Down

---

Began 2010 @ 325lbs - Never even ran to dinner EVER before!

Started C25K Sept/2010 (239 lbs) - Graduated Nov/2010 (216 lbs)

First Official 5K - Frosty 5K 12/11/2010 - 25:57.8 (211 lbs)

Living for Zachary Heart Run 5K - 10/22/2011 - 22:34 (202 lbs) PR

Salute American Heroes 10K - 11/12/2011 - 47:48 (202 lbs) PR

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon - 12/4/2011 - 1:57:39 (202 lbs)

Leaping Leprechauns 15K - 3/10/2012 - 1:15:35 (210 lbs) PR

Big D Half Martahon - 4/15/2012 - 1:57:51 (215 lbs - felt it) PR

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathalon - 7/21/2012 - 25:18 on the 5K run piece (209 lbs)

Dec 8, 2010
    10,503. Jun 15, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to rebrck)
    200+ Pound Club!

@rebrk this is YOUR time!  :-)  Go ahead and sign up for a race thats in about three months!  Nothing more motivating than that!

FLIP THE SWITCH! If I can lose 130 pounds in a year without pills or surgeries or food programs, so can you!

---

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathalon - 7/21/2012 - 25:18 on the 5K run piece (209 lbs)

• dgh204 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 9, 2012
    10,504. Jun 17, 2012 6:11 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hello all. Newbie here.

I began changing my diet and exercising in mid-April.  At that point I was about 234 pounds.  Today, I weighed in at 207. I am hoping this means that this thread will not be applicable to me much longer, but I feel proud of my progress, and so I wanted to share

One of the major changes I have made is my diet: I have focused on eating a lot more fiber than ever before.  Also, I lessened my meat intake.

And, I began using the elliptical for 30min-1hour 5/6 days a week back in April.  The biggest initial hurdle was just walking into the gym.  But, I went.  I signed up for a trial month.  And, happily 1 month later, I signed on for 3 more months.  By June, I felt like I was ready to give C25K a try.  I just completed W2D1.  After I finish the 'run,' I hop on the elliptical for whatever I can still stand to do.  And, on 'rest' days, I do my best to get to the gym and use the elliptical.

I signed up for a Color Run 5K in October, so at present, that is my running goal (my 1st weight loss goal is to get below 200; after that, I will aim for 185; baby steps).  I am hopeful that I will be able to achieve it - and, what a fun way to run my first race!

Fingers crossed! Thanks to all for your inspiration!

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,505. Jun 18, 2012 7:43 AM (in response to SnackerChris)
    200+ Pound Club!

@snackerChris

I love your progress, I myself am losing, but at a rate of about 50 pounds per year. I would love to jump that amount up a bit. I think my diet is probably my weak spot. I have tried following plans but when I put in my bmr it is 2454. When I attempt to cut out about 3-500 calories daily from that I simply don't lose. When I go at it more agressively 1500 or so calories a day I do lose, but I feel a bit ill. I was wondering if you could share some tips or advice, or perhaps explain your success. I did go to your blog, but I didn't quite understand your methods. Thanks!

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• nerudathedog Amateur 13 posts since
    May 18, 2012
    10,506. Jun 18, 2012 8:13 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Folks, I've been lurking on this thread for a while, reading more of it than I should probably admit to (this sucker is LONG!), and I just wanted to pop in and tell you all how inspiring you've been. I just finished W6D1 this morning and feel great. Last Friday, I knew I'd be able to take out the 20 minute monster because I'd read so many of your experiences.

I live in MA, just north of the RI border, and I've lived in the area my whole life (I grew up in Foxboro, where the Patriots play--go Pats!). I'm coming up on my 43rd birthday. I had already started a walking program when I decided to give C25K a try. Before this, I thought I hated to run. Now I realize that I hated to be pushed to run faster than I was capable of running. Over the past 5 weeks (and the months of walking before that), I've learned to manage my heart rate and my breathing so that it's what I think of as a comfortable effort--I'm working, but I'm not going to die.

Mostly, though, I started C25K because I'm trying to gain some control. My father-in-law, whom I loved dearly, passed away suddenly last May, and less than 2 weeks after the 1st anniversary of his death, I lost my closest cousin (and one of my best friends) to liver cancer at age 45. In other words, it's been a really, really tough year. Having someone else set a goal for me, having a plan, being able to accomplish that plan just by virtue of telling myself that I could...all of that seemed really, really appealing. And it has given me a positve outlet for my stress.

So this is getting long and risks getting tedious, but I did want to thank you all, especially the regulars. Wideguy, I hope you're out there, because it's gonna get hot in this neck of the woods in the next couple of days. Get going, and try not to burn your feet.

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    10,507. Jun 18, 2012 8:54 AM (in response to nerudathedog)
    200+ Pound Club!

nerudathedog wrote:

Folks, I've been lurking on this thread for a while, reading more of it than I should probably admit to (this sucker is LONG!), and I just wanted to pop in and tell you all how inspiring you've been. I just finished W6D1 this morning and feel great. Last Friday, I knew I'd be able to take out the 20 minute monster because I'd read so many of your experiences.

I live in MA, just north of the RI border, and I've lived in the area my whole life (I grew up in Foxboro, where the Patriots play--go Pats!). I'm coming up on my 43rd birthday. I had already started a walking program when I decided to give C25K a try. Before this, I thought I hated to run. Now I realize that I hated to be pushed to run faster than I was capable of running. Over the past 5 weeks (and the months of walking before that), I've learned to manage my heart rate and my breathing so that it's what I think of as a comfortable effort--I'm working, but I'm not going to die.

Mostly, though, I started C25K because I'm trying to gain some control. My father-in-law, whom I loved dearly, passed away suddenly last May, and less than 2 weeks after the 1st anniversary of his death, I lost my closest cousin (and one of my best friends) to liver cancer at age 45. In other words, it's been a really, really tough year. Having someone else set a goal for me, having a plan, being able to accomplish that plan just by virtue of telling myself that I could...all of that seemed really, really appealing. And it has given me a positve outlet for my stress.

So this is getting long and risks getting tedious, but I did want to thank you all, especially the regulars. Wideguy, I hope you're out there, because it's gonna get hot in this neck of the woods in the next couple of days. Get going, and try not to burn your feet.

Go pats! I am around here too, just moving to Marshfield, gonna try some running on the beach =) What heart rate do you keep? I just did the 5 miler in easton and I had a strap on and I was 170+ the whole time. You are near the end, have you considered your 5k? Welcome and congrats on your progress!

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• sandwichman Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 18, 2012
    10,508. Jun 18, 2012 8:58 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I turned 50 in May, and in January I made a goal to run a Half Marathon this year.  I have never been a runner, but have played sports all my life.  I was 300 lbs at the beginning of the year. I am 6' 4" tall, so I carried the weight w/o looking extremely fat, but I was too heavy.  I found a Galloway training program (18 weeks) to get me ready for my first Half Marathon on Labor Day.  The pro gram started May 1st, but I actually started running reguarly in March.  After a couple of weeks of 1 - 1 1/2 mile run / walks, I decided to really get dedicated to this.  I started to push a little harder, and actually entered a 5K race while on vacation in Hawaii.  To my surprise, I ran it in 31:52, and actually went Scuba Diving later that day.  That really got me mentally ready to keeop going.  Needless to say, I run 3 days a week (about 15 - 20 miles), and do eliptical cross train 2 days.  Yesterday I did a long training run (11 miles) in 2:15:22.  I felt great at the end.  I am now weighing in around 265 pounds, and have another 10 lbs to go to meet my 255 goal for my Labor Day race.

Alan

• nerudathedog Amateur 13 posts since
    May 18, 2012
    10,509. Jun 18, 2012 9:27 AM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

@Zeroez, I don't use a heart monitor, so I'm not 100% sure. I just try to make sure I have control of my breath and I don't get that sort of achey chest I can get if I'm not moving enough oxygen.

As for a race, I'm doing a lot of traveling this summer (I'm a professor at Wheaton, so I have the summers "off," but I go to a lot of conferences and things like that), and I want my 1st 5K to be relatively local. My husband works with a guy who lost his brother on 9/11 (he was on one of the planes), and the family set up a charitable foundation which also happens to hold a road race in September: http://www.jeffcoombsfund.org/fundraising-events/the-jeff-coombs-memorial-road-race-and-family-walk/ . The timing is good for that to be my first race, and I like the cause. Also, there are walkers, so I'll be able to use that to take the pressure off myself, speed-wise.

I'm strong, but I am always aware of how easy it is to injure myself, moving this much weight at any speed. So I took everyone's advice and went slow (I walk at 3.5/jog at 4.5) and haven't had so much as a muscle pull. I think once week 9 is under my belt and I feel like I've got a strong base, I'll redo C25K using my jog for the walk intervals and a faster pace for the running intervals. Trying not to overthink it OR over-plan, since it has derailed me in the past...

Marshfield is really nice! I'm in Attleboro, but we're definitely working on moving to the water. I'd settle for freshwater, but we're both kind of hoping for salt. We'll have to see what the housing market does over the next few years.

Thanks for the welcome!

• Kangoo Runner Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 7, 2010
    10,510. Jun 21, 2012 6:43 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just found this post and am so inspired by all of the posts here.  I am an ex hockey player with six knee surgeries.  In November 2010 a year after my last knee surgery and 46 years old I had ballooned up to about 249 lbs on a frame that usually was between 185-195 lbs.  That began my odyssey of trying to get my body back into shape on really shaky knees.  I found a different solution my first year called Kangoo Jumps and my first attempt at running was to make it all the way around my block (less than 1/4 mile).  I stopped three times but persisted.  In three months I ran my first 5K in my Kangoos and finished in 35 minutes.  Along the way as motivation I registered for the Marine Corp Marathon in October 2011 with the goal to get down to 210 lbs and complete the marathon.  I finished the marathon in 5:10:00 and weighed 211 lbs at the start.  In the last six months as I have felt more strength in my knees I have moved to running shoes (Merrell barefoot shoes so I don't heel strike) and have run six half marathons so far this year with my best time being 2:10:15.  Best of all my weight is down to the 195-200 lb area.  Once again I am running the Marine Corp Marathon this year and two weeks later running a hometown marathon in VA.  My goal now is to run a 50 miler when I turn 50 in two years at 185 lbs which I haven't weighed since the day I graduated high school over 30 years ago. 

I guess I am writing this because I never considered myself a runner and after so many knee surgeries was convinced that I would never be able to do any athletic ever again.  With running I have found so much emotional and spiritual healing that I get bummed if I don't get a chance to get in a 3-4 mile run every day.  I love seeing what you all are accomplishing and just want to tell you that there is so much healing that can happen if you will allow the discipline of running to become part of your life.  I hope to see every one of you out on a race course somewhere, whether you are fast or slow or just finishing doesn't matter.  Remember by getting out and running you join a very exclusive club of people who are striving to make a difference in your health.  Congratulations to you all.

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    10,511. Jun 21, 2012 6:51 AM (in response to Kangoo Runner)
    200+ Pound Club!

Great to hear Kangoo! I to am running the Marine Corps Marathon in October.  It will be my first!

I am running a half in Fairfield, Ct this Sunday!

Keep on running and I will see you in October!

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

Dec 8, 2010
    10,512. Jun 21, 2012 9:54 AM (in response to Kangoo Runner)
    200+ Pound Club!

@kangoo love your story!  thanks for sharing!  inspiring!

---

• JuicyFruit76 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    10,513. Jun 25, 2012 7:33 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all, I'm a 34 yo, 260 lb gal who wants to run.  Was very leary, due to my size, but after reading everything here, I believe I can do it!! Our local hospital is starting a group C25K in July, and I think that'll be my way in, with a group of people to help me be accountable. 

Thank you!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Started C25K - July 10, 2012

Long Term Goal - COMPLETE C25K Program

Short Term Goal - Move to next week!!!!!!!!!

Short Term Goal - NO INJURY!!!!!!!!!

"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going." ~ Forrest Gump.

• Chubbs1981 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 27, 2012
    10,514. Jun 25, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello all, posted a few weeks ago on a thread called too heavy to run.

Well i Finished the c25k program about 3 weeks ago. Since then i've been doing 33m runs 2-3 times per week. Now before I did 'run' at 8kph and walk at 4kph. Today i've restarted the C25K from W1D1 however this time i'm using it as speed training. Not walk and run but run and Jog.

So i'm upping the run speed to 10kph and the 'walk' I'll do at my previous Run speed of 8kph. Today I did my first day and it was HARD! It was very very hard. I did finish it however its a massive undertaking. This is going to be hard work.

For a little background I started running at about 305 on the 19th of March 2012 and Last thursday which i thinkg was the 21st of June I weighed in at 273.5

I'm hoping this time round that i can get the whole thing finished at 10kph in 12 weeks. (I take the 4th or 5th week off to rest my shins) My target is to drop 30lb in the 12 weeks.

I started losing weight (this time) at the start of Feb. on the 2/2/12 I weighed in 329lb (149.8 kg) and after 20 weeks i'm down 55.5lb (25kg) which I strongly believed the C25K is responsible for at least 33% of that loss.

My target for is for me to get below 225lb by new years eve. 2013 is my year to live the whole year at a healthy weight.

Oh and i'm deteremined to get myself into a pair of Levi 501's and when i say get into i don't mean wedged in so the seems creak.

Chubbs.

P.s I also swim and just getting into cycling.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...