Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

684315 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 Go to original post 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,180. Jun 19, 2012 11:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

10k 48 min. Champion Hills. Good time for this route. Back up to 85.

• jdcarnes Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    3,181. Jun 19, 2012 1:31 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

2 miles this morning.....did it in 17:45, which is over 1:30 better than my previous best time! Decided to go ahead and register for a 10k on Saturday down in Bentonville, AR. I've only had one training run at close to that distance (long run of 6 miles in 1:07:23), so I have NO idea what to expect. Guess I'll shoot for 1:03:00 as my goal time and if it comes out faster, great! 

Fastest times:

1 mile 8:03 (8/14/12)

2 mile 17:16 (6/29/12)

5k 31:24

10k 1:10:37

8k 1:29:26

13.1 2:24:58

2012 races:

CJ Y.E.P 5K, Carl Junction, MO 04/29/2012 31:52

Joplin Memorial Half Marathon/5k, Joplin, MO 05/19/2012 31:24 (PR)

The Cancer Challenge 10k Bentonville, AR 6/23/2012 1:10:37 (PR)

2012 upcoming races:

Tulsa Glow Run Tulsa, OK 8/25/2012

Joplin Mother Road Marathon/Half Marathon/5k, Baxter Springs, KS to Joplin, MO 10/14/2012 (registered)

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    3,182. Jun 19, 2012 2:05 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

My run yesterday was lousy, but some days are like that. My hip started acting up a little and I got heartburn partway through, but I was 2 miles from home and had to get back somehow. After 5 minutes walking I felt better enough to run slowly home.

Saw the chiro today and he said my right hip was higher, so maybe that's why I had a little pain. It's better after the adjustment. It's too hot to run now but I'll try to head out early tomorrow.

Last night I had a lovely walk with my husband - summer evenings are nice, but I don't feel comfortable running after dark on my own so I'll stick to daylight hours.

linuscatch - such a sad story that no one should have to endure; hope your running helps your emotional state.

mkayc - I agree with NHLA that the PT needs to have a good reason for you to stop running. A new PT who's a runner might be a good idea, but mine pushed too many exercises my body wasn't quite ready for. I still do those exercises, just not to the point of the wrong kind of pain.

To those training for long distances, awesome! I can't justify the time right now - told Team in Training "not this year." I'm going to focus on keeping moving and hopefully improving my 5k and 10k times.

I think it's about time to sign up for another 5k. The point about the heat effect kicking in during the 2nd half of 10k is right on - I was doing great the first few miles of the 10k race where I slowed down because of the heat.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

Feb 23, 2012
    3,183. Jun 19, 2012 2:21 PM (in response to Julia66)

Find a PT who is Hot, runs, and lifts. In that order. Hold on as long as DW or DH lets you or until you can outrun them. Then move on.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,184. Jun 19, 2012 2:42 PM (in response to NHLA)

Ahhahahaha, I LOVE it! And I'm single so that's dangerous but I'm very drawn to that kind of danger. In my mind. :-D

I'm thinking a lot of these bad runs are related to the heat and humidity and we are just struggling to adjust. Of course that doesn't explain the good ones but I'm just looking for a plausible reason to have hope so - have hope, dammit.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,185. Jun 19, 2012 2:46 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw:  Totally agree with the "dynamic stretching."  I'm glad you mentioned that.  A few years ago, I read up on stretching before running, training or races, and it suggests DYNAMIC stretches versus the slow, long warm up stretches many runners (especially newbies) tend to do prior to running.  It's kinda like telling your muscles you are going to do yoga instead (from my understanding) and it makes sense to me.  Anyway, my stretches are short and I jog for a few minutes (depending on the race distance) prior to a race event.  Since I run HMs more, I tend to warm up with a short jog, about 1/2 mile prior, and then do some dynamic stretches during my 1 minute walk breaks the first couple of miles, especially on rugged TRAIL runs when those hills, rocks, etc, are working your legs to the max. It has worked for me pretty well so far, so much less soreness/fatigue after my runs. And, at 52, I need all the help I can get.   

Mkayc: Don't know if you are still wondering:  I usually eat a banana and hydrate (water and gatorade) from the minute I wake up to the trailhead for my short run (less than 6 miles), I will carry a bottle of water on my short run. 

On my longer runs, I usually will eat oatmeal, or yogurt with granola, couple of all grain plain toast with gatorade about 30 mins prior, and then eat a banana with water on the way to a trailhead.  Because I tend to run some rugged TRAILS in different parts of the mountain, access to water is limited so I always carry extra fluids, water and gatorade on my longer runs.  I've tried Hammergel, GU, the 'jelly beans' which worked well for me but I tend to forget to buy them and when I do, I've found that I don't use them as much as I thought I would.

Just thought I share about pre-run regime:  running on empty or not?

HAPPY WEDNESDAY everyone!!

Trail runner

Feb 23, 2012
    3,186. Jun 19, 2012 3:16 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Several people have asked nutrition questions.

On my long run sat. I ate eggs, bacon , and toast for breakfast.

Ran to blackberry patch @ mile three

Blue berries @ miles nine

Hot dog from cart @ tube rental & lemenaid $3.50 no cheese or chilly cause its 80 @ 16 miles

Hydration= Hose water from Silver Creek Babtist Church.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,187. Jun 19, 2012 3:21 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Old Coyote:  HAHA!!  LOVE THAT!! yes, am in Flag, the 'peaks' are practically my front view!!  And, the trails here are just as tough as the ones there.  Use to live in Denver and I know some of the trails around Boulder (use to volunteer at a clinic there) are intense.  Believe me, the added 'few' feet of altitude (7500+) here in Flag is an advantage when I run in PHX but Denver and ALBQ can be pretty unyielding in their TRAIL events especially.  Hey, at 52, I need every bit of that advantage with a serious dose of ATTITUDE ........ haha!! 

Yeah, there is always a group of Flag runners who make the trip for the IMOGENE PASS race.  OMG!!  That is one incredible tough climb to reach the 13,114 ft in elevation, it may ONLY be 17.1 miles but it's strenuous and unrelenting.  It definitely tests the Flag runners but they usually do very well!!  YIPPEE!!  I had hoped to run that this year but LIFE INTERFERED and the race was full by the time I decided to register.  Don't think living in MN will get me close to the training I need for such a race but 'someday' ...........

We are experiencing some high temps here as well, no clouds in sight too, and winds pick up daily

The trails are so dry that running kicks up the dust, not too great for breathing or when struggling with allergies.

There's always the treadmill, right?

Trail runner

• KennethRayhon Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 28, 2012
    3,188. Jun 19, 2012 5:06 PM (in response to az2mn)

Mkayc: Great advice on the pre-run snacks, people often forget how important it is to fuel their bodies.  I finished my run this morning before work at about 6:00 AM.  It was a tough trail run with some deep sand and I managed 5.01 miles in 43:34 and burned 802 calories.  I have a 5 mile road race coming up for charity and I want to do really well, and that is why I am training on trails.  I just had my personal best on a 5k run in April 21:41 which I was really happy with.  Anyway, just wanted to share my trail running course.  http://kjrzeek1.hubpages.com/_209pgaybx6bme/hub/How-To-Run-Faster-And-HArder-Than-You-Ever-Have

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,189. Jun 19, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to KennethRayhon)

Hi everyone!

I had a much better 3.5 mile run this morning having fueled up more wisely. Being on the Slow Card Diet, I add beans in my late day meal and then tried a few saltines with peanut butter before I ran this AM. Much better on the energy!

Hot hot hot tomorrow, but I hope to sneak out for a run very early.

Nice to see you all

Go get em' Mary Kay! lol

NHLA you are a wild man with that crazy food and running!

Hi OldCoyote and Julia66!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,190. Jun 19, 2012 7:42 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

MaryKay - what's the reason to stop running for so long?  My PT is a runner and her goal is to get me running again and has given lots of great advice (heck she's practically convinced me to run a Half!)  I second the second opinion suggestion. Good luck!  And prayers for you mom's recovery.

Julia66  glad the chiro has you feeling better.

jdcarnes - nice 2 mile time.  I have a feeling you'll do well at your 10K.

MelodyLea - sounds like a nice trip to visit your sis - and new running gear is always a good thing!

Old Coyote - you won't get any snickers about WiiFit here - that helped me lose nearly 50 pounds in 2010!  WiiFit and water aerobics got me active and if it weren't for those 2 activities I would never have started running. 

As for running on empty, yes I do most of the time.  In order to take my thyroid pill, wait the mandated hour before before eating (or even my slacker half hour), and then waiting to digest a bit, I'd need to get out of bed at some ungodly hour  and that is just not going to happen.  Sunday long runs can usually involve 1/2 cup of coffee and a banana first.  I usually have banana, toast with jam or a small bowl of cereal with almond milk before a race.

This morning was 3.5 miles.  Calves were still quite a bit tight but loosened up by 1.5 miles (where I stopped to stretch) or so. A little sore afterwards but still steady progress.    PT tomorrow morning, then hitting the pool tomorrow night to try a new class at the Y just in time for the first heat wave of the season. 

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,191. Jun 19, 2012 8:13 PM (in response to Debm2011)

My marathon journey began with a 1 hr bike ride Monday. felt great coming off my 10 mile Sunday run. I swear by Hammers Recoverite after long runs takes away muscle soreness. Tuesday 5 mile tempo run.

NHLA love your fueling plan!!!

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,192. Jun 19, 2012 8:51 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I'm not sure what this "heat" stuff is you guys are talking about. It hasn't reached 72 here in Maine for a while. I think you're all making it up. But maybe I should wait an hour.

Anyway, some great success stories out there, with the good times and longer distances, bigger goals, volleyball debuts, shopping trips (found the sales, I hope),  etc.

Did some hill work Monday night, doing 4 miles total on four different hills, with a little walking/slow jogging when I caught up with the wife. Total time was 32:54.

Did repeats tonight. 1 1/2 mile warmup, 4 x 400 (avg. 1:33), with 400 jogs, then 3 x 800 (avg. 3:16), with 400 jogs, then a 1200 in 5:10. Cooled down with a 1/2 mile jog.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,193. Jun 20, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

AZ1414 - I'm racing in Keystone in a month. That's a rolling course, only ~ 125 feet elevation change, but up, and down, and up, and down - between 9300-9425 feet. I'll drive up the morning of the race so I don't start feeling the altitude. Run the 1/2, and get back down to a more civilized 5280'.

DebM - Yay, Wii!. My wife wanted it, and I poo-poo'd it (but we got it because I adore her). She sure showed me!

3.6 easy miles at 12:06 pace. I needed to rest after yesterday's semi-long run, so I took it real easy. Up the mesa and across, then back the way I came. Temps are a bit cooler today. 60 degrees and a bit of a breeze, felt real good. Humidity was up to where I could smell the water in the air. All y'all from non-desert parts of the country probably never notice that smell, but out here  60% humidity is exceeding rare. Nice sunrise, a pale peach.

Run free!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,194. Jun 20, 2012 9:41 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

Very hot 3.5 mile run this morning. I got out on the road at 7:30 AM but it was already 80 degrees by the time I got done with my run. It was a sluggish run, but not surprising given the heat. I'll try to be out on the road by 6:30 tomorrow. Downed a ton of Gatorade and water!!

Debm2011 Good to hear the calves are lossening up. Nice job on the 3.5

Webpro11 Nice job! Thanks for the reminder about Recoverite. I just placed a big order with Hammer, didn't order that, but will keep it in mind for next time.

jmsab23 Nice! My sweet sis was buying at the sports store, so I got all the things I needed without really looking at the prices (I would have certainly hesitated and backed out if I did look at those tags!) I'm so grateful for the gear I got though, and it should last for years.

Old Coyote I love your run reports...its so fun to imagine your running in the high country at sunrise!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...