Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

532 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 11:42 PM by ydiez RSS
sapphiregal Expert 59 posts since
May 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2012 9:28 PM

How to break my repeated minutes at 5K???

I have been doing Insanity and thought that it would help speed up my time but nope apparently not yet. The last 3 of my 5K races I finish at 33 minutes (34:09, 33:19, 33:05) I improved every time but just a tad bit. I want to get it under 33 minutes... HOW??? I have completed c25k program and am on 7th week of Insanity. I am doing 5K races once or twice a month. My current goal is to get in a nice shape and to run faster at least 25 minutes at 5K and near future to run 10K. So what program should I try? or anything else I should try?? HELP!! Thanks!

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 19, 2012 11:42 PM (in response to sapphiregal)
    How to break my repeated minutes at 5K???

sapphiregal wrote:

I have been doing Insanity and thought that it would help speed up my time but nope apparently not yet. The last 3 of my 5K races I finish at 33 minutes (34:09, 33:19, 33:05) I improved every time but just a tad bit. I want to get it under 33 minutes... HOW??? I have completed c25k program and am on 7th week of Insanity. I am doing 5K races once or twice a month. My current goal is to get in a nice shape and to run faster at least 25 minutes at 5K and near future to run 10K. So what program should I try? or anything else I should try?? HELP!! Thanks!

First of all, congratulations on your steady improvement, even if it has been a little slow recently, you are still consistenly getting better.

Probably you should provide some more details on yourself, your level of training and your current training plan in order to allow some of the running coaches around here to give you personalised advice, but as a general concept I would say that you probably need some speedwork in your routine. You should probably start with some interval training or fartlek: http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c002.shtml http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263--12081-0,00.html

Finally, you also need to be patient, improving one's PB is not an easy task. If you continue not to see much improvement maybe it will be time to change your training plan, but  be aware that training results take a while to appear (often a couple of months).

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...