Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1093 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 6:28 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
joeyash Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2012 10:03 PM

Strange feeling in chest

Ive been running for years, and have recently upped my training for a half marathon.. Im 3 weeks in and am experiencing a strange sensation in my chest... no pain but heart seems to be labouring.. Im 34 and have kept my heart rate around the 160 - 170 mark for most sessions... I know this may be a bit high, but pace wise its where I feel comfortable.. I randomly started power chucking on my day off last week after feeling the same thing. I know this may be a bit vague, and obviously a will get it all checked with the doc, but I wanted to put it out there to see if other people had experienced the same thing... I feel like I could still go out and run as far as my body is concerned, but a little worried about the heart (i have an innocent heart mumur which was checked out 5 years ago and was ok)... It feels like ive just had a "scare", but that feeling doesn't go away... No doubt over training, but just would like others thoughts.

Thanks

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jun 20, 2012 11:40 AM (in response to joeyash)
    Strange feeling in chest

Hi Joey,

Premature ventricular contractions can occur in a variety of fashions for many reasons and increased activity might be a factor.  Mitral Valve Prolapse can cause some symptoms, but it would be far more rare.  I understand anything regarding the heart sounds frightening, but typically any disruptions can now be easily diagnosed and treated, so it is important to see your doctor and get the right tests to place your mind and body at ease. 

Given your young age, strong fitness level and increased training schedule, respiratory and/or nervous system issues could also be causing the strange sensations in your chest area.  I have experienced similiar symptoms in training and races, but mine were from panic episodes, which physically also presents like heart and/or breathing problems.  It sounds like you have ruled out anxiety as a contributing cause, but I still wanted to mention reducing any environmental stress while you are preparing for the event.

It is a good idea to get everything checked out medically to be on the safe side. 

Wishing you good news and best of luck in your upcoming half!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    3. Jul 9, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to joeyash)
    Strange feeling in chest

Even if you read this article last year, it's worth a second look in view of your training style.

For longer endurance races like the Half, you really don't need to be pushing those HRs during most runs, no matter how invigorating it feels in general. In fact, there really is no value in sustaining such heart rates beyond the faster portions of weekly speed-work sessions. Based on what I have learned over the years, long and slow is good, short and fast is good, but long and fast is counterproductive.

On another note, if you are ingesting sugars of any kind, like those in sports drinks, before exercise, you should know that sugars increase blood viscosity by causing the cells to stick together. This increases the work load for an otherwise healthy heart during exercise.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points