Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1561 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2012 6:41 PM by Haselsmasher RSS
Reflective Runner Amateur 12 posts since
Nov 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 22, 2012 1:12 PM

Heel and Achilles Pain

Hi All,

Anyone else have experience with some recurring heel and achilles pain?  When I run consistently (3-4 times per week), I sometimes develop heel pain and some achilles pain (primarily in my left foot).  It does not completely stop me but sometimes I find myself needed a break to let it settle down.  I already wear ASICS Nimbus shoes with substantial cushioning in the heel.  I have tried some cushioned inserts before but they did not seem to help.  Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Barry

Barry Johnson (aka Reflective Runner)

Find Relective Running Gear Here:

http://reflectivegearforrunning.com

• Damien Howell Legend 307 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    1. Jun 23, 2012 6:15 AM (in response to Reflective Runner)
    Heel and Achilles Pain

Take a look at short article Achillies Tendonitis/Tendonpathy.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Jun 23, 2012 1:54 PM (in response to Reflective Runner)
    Heel and Achilles Pain

Try the AirHeel wrap or the heel sleeve sock and wear it around, including everyday activities and overnight.  Some would suggest that stretching calf muscles may also be of benefit, along with icing your foot after long runs.  I would say invest in the speciality socks and, in the alternative, literally enclose your left foot with cloth, elastic bandages around the heel, mid-portion of the foot and lower ankle.   

Hope things are doing better soon. 

• Haselsmasher Legend 505 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Jun 27, 2012 6:18 AM (in response to Reflective Runner)
    Heel and Achilles Pain

Can you be more specific on where the heel pain actually is?  Since you titled the posting "Heel and Achilles Pain" is it safe to assume the heel pain is on the back side - where the Achilles attaches?  Or is the pain more on the sides of the heel and/or the bottom of the heel?

What other details can you offer about when you get the pain?  For example, does it hurt when you get out of bed?  When you say you need a break - does that mean in the middle of a run?  If so - does that mean a run starts out with it feeling ok but then it feels worse as the run progresses?

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Haselsmasher Legend 505 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    6. Jun 28, 2012 6:41 PM (in response to Reflective Runner)
    Heel and Achilles Pain

Barry:

First and foremost: I'm going to defer heavily to Damien's article that he referenced in his reply.  He is the/a pro around here and has forgotten more than I know about Achilles issues.

I noticed in his article (I hope I get this paraphrase right) that there isn't necessarily a causal link between not stretching, for example, and AT.  I have it in my head that not having a tight calf comlex (which then results in tight Achilles) is really important.  I've also been reading more frequently that stretching is NOT the right way to lengthen.  A foam roller and/or massage might be very helpful.

There are exercises that are helpful (called heel raises or heel drops) which can rehab an Achilles tendon, however I think there is a fine line between doing them when the tendon isn't ready - and then having them do more damage.  Consequently, you might consider going to a PT and getting pro help in getting through it.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points