Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15007 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 6:16 AM by okjoan 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Joan48732 Amateur 10 posts since
Jun 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2012 5:42 AM

Starting C25k tomorrow - any advice?

Hi everyone!  I am a 41 year old woman who had decided to do something to get back in shape.  Any suggestions or advice before I begin?

• KAB99 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 24, 2010
    1. Jun 17, 2012 5:55 PM (in response to Joan48732)

Just relax and follow the plan, it really will get you there. I did it 2 years ago and have now completed 3 half marathons and numerous 5&10Ks.

Good Luck!

Started C25K in April 2010 at the age of 39. Ran my first race in June 2010 (Outrun the Sun 5K - 38:08). I have run 10 5K's, 3 10K's, 3 Half Marathon's, and a number of "milers" since then.

2011 Mini Marathon - 2:38:49

2011 Greater Indianapolis Half Marathon - 2:32:24

2012 Mini Marathon - 2:28:53

2012 Women's Half Marathon - (in September)

2012 Hendrick's Co. Half Marathon - (in September)

• sneez09 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 2, 2012
    2. Jun 17, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to Joan48732)

I'm on week 3 day 1 right now! Don't look ahead, its discouraging, you can do it if you follow the plan! Keep an easy pace don't speed! As hard as it might be while you're running you'll feel GREAT afterward!

• kimdoit Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 18, 2012
    3. Jun 18, 2012 2:46 AM (in response to Joan48732)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow - any advice?

Hiya...I have started today too....I'm 54 year old female...w1 d1...thought I would struggle but was ok...the best advice I have found is to build up gradually....best way to avoid injury...good luck

• rengb6 Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    5. Jun 19, 2012 12:14 PM (in response to Joan48732)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow - any advice?

I have tried it and you are right it is VERY helpful! My only advice is to stick with it! I did it 3 times and finished once and I still quit! You will regret it if you stop and then you'll have to start from the beginning all over again! So keep up with those runs, no excuses. It helped me when I finally began to keep a schedule and if I was scheduled to run I had to do it. Good luck!

• Moogiepet Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 21, 2012
    7. Jun 21, 2012 4:15 PM (in response to Joan48732)

I started C25K iPhone app the day after you. I'm 40 & doing mine outside.  Before I started, I was fitted for proper shoes & the clerk there said that they do C25K trainings there and their program is 12 weeks instead of the 8 weeks my app is.  He said that I should repeat weeks 3, 4, 5, & 6 because longer programs have fewer injuries.  So, I'm going to take his advice & take it slow. 

I used to run in High School, but that was over 20 years ago!  On my off days, I'm going to try to do some strength training because I'm incredibly weak!

Good luck, maybe we can use this forum to keep each other motivated. Today is my "off" day & tomorrow is W1D3.

Laters,

Dot

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    8. Jun 23, 2012 10:06 AM (in response to Joan48732)

Hi, I'm also a c25k newbie, just completed w4d1. 

Some good advice I received from a friend who's been running for years, is that a lot of people try to run at a pace where they think they can't comfortably run any faster - apparently, that's fine for people who are used to running, but for just starting out, the runs should be a pace where you feel you can't comfortably run any slower.  Don't know if he was just trying to stop me beating myself up for being so slow, but it fits in with other advice I've heard to take it slow and repeat weeks if you can't complete the intervals.  I think right at the start, what we're looking for is to build up endurance, and avoid injuring ourselves - so don't try to rush ahead of the program, and make sure you take the rest days.

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    9. Jun 24, 2012 12:19 AM (in response to Joan48732)

Hi I'm doing C25K for the 3rd time hoping to actually get to 5K this time. I was benched for injuries before but none of them were running related. Although I took a few weeks off between w1d3 and w2d1 when I tripped and fell right at the end of my run. Lesson, don't look behind you when you hear a car coming. The worst part was it was my husband coming to check on me and he sped up to try and catch up to me but I thought it must be one of the crazy people who drive too fast so I was trying to get to a place to get off the road. Since I was barely into it and didn't have to start over, I'm sticking with this is my "3rd time's the charm" attempt.

The 1st time I did this I spent some time feeling bad that I was having to add extra days to my weeks. You know what feel good about every day you get out and try. Rejoice not only in your successes but in your failures. So what if you try to make a 20 minute run and finally decide to skip it and come back to it later.  So what if you go out one day and less than ½ way thru you feel so winded you just sit down and cry for 10 minutes before you finish your jog.  Or even if you give up and go home wondering “What the heck was I thinking?”  So what if you are so slow that it seems like everyone else is a cheetah and you are a snail whose slime is a bit sticky today.  So what if it takes you 3 or 4 or 10 times to complete the program and hit 5K.  So what if you never do it without walking part of the way!  As long as you keep trying and don’t give up you are a winner. 

I am trying to amp up my speed a bit this time.  Yesterday was W2D1 for me.  I need lots of support to keep me on track.  I live in SE TX and usually run late at night to avoid the worst of the heat (not a morning person) and my husband and 4 year old (soon to be 5) will follow along in the van to keep the coytoes away. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    13. Jun 25, 2012 5:17 AM (in response to Joan48732)

Hi Joan. Thankfully I didn't fall on my bad knee not sure it could have taken a spill that bad. I had a couple of deep scraps and some bruising, but it was partly fear of falling again before it was 100% that kept me benched a little longer. That and my husband's cousin passed away and Joe was depressed, so he just gave me a look when I suggested I wanted to jog.

It's not quite a highway, more of a minor country road. LOL I'd guess that in the mile I jogged from my house I didn't pass many more than a dozen houses. I can take one of the 2 side roads and pass a few more, but no matter what direction I go I don't think I can pass more than twice that and both of those side roads are dead ends and less than a mile long. Don't like to take them even though they are less busy than our road because there are too many dogs and one of the neighbors complained about my jogging so late. (That was when I was jogging at 8 or 9 PM, instead of midnight.) I do wonder what the neighbors think of an overweight old lady jogging down the road, but hey I don't see them out there doing it. Or walking for that matter. Besides I'm so over worrying about what others think of me. Plus I know at least a few of the neighbors think I'm crazy. Coming from them I take it as a compliment. :”) Thankfully a few of the neighbors like me just fine, but I’d love to move from here. Too many bad memories. Maybe someday when my business isn’t so new I will be able to move somewhere I would have chosen to live. Somewhere that makes my heart sing, instead of ring with dread. I do love the image of my husband getting arrested for stalking. But it would never happen out here. The good ole’ boys would look the other way. They would be more likely to arrest me for blocking traffic or “running” from the police.

I did my W2D2 jog last night at midnight again. It was actually not too bad. I was expecting the worst and waited so late because the temps topped 100 in the afternoon. My thermometer went out so I checked online and it was only 77 in town. We are usually within about 3 degrees of that. Felt so lucky that it got that cool. Not likely to be so lucky for my next jog or 2. It went so well I’m almost tempted to jump to week 3, but I don’t think I will. Not with the heat that’s being forecast. If I feel good enough the last jog or 2 I might toss in a little extra time. I know it’s going to feel like a big leap from this week to the next.

Congratulations on finishing week 1 and on the weight loss. I'm going to try some of those green coffee pills to see if they help. I've already told my husband - if you buy me one candy bar, "because you are doing so good on your diet and excercise" I'm going to divorce you. Anyone who doesn't think some spouses sabatoge your diet has never lived with my husband. "You haven't had any soda in a week and 1 won't hurt you.. You deserve it." No I deserve to be healthy and fit and I can't do that if someone keeps tempting me with things I really want, but wasn't thinking about right that minute. Thank you very much. So this week I ate every single fattening thing I could find in the house so it won't be there to tempt me now that I've started my diet. LOL Just kidding. I only ate the stupid candy bar that had been jumping up and down on the end table for a week or 2, and I was mad at him and me for that one. So I salute you for every ounce you have lost. Keep up the great work.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• bren92 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 26, 2012
    14. Jun 26, 2012 6:27 PM (in response to Joan48732)

I just started today myself and I'm 41 years old also. Feel like I'm 81 when I try and run. Hope I can do this and stick with it! Good luck to You!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...