Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1012505 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 ... 315 Previous Next
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Ran another 'double run' today ........... wasn't planning on it.

Went to a 'flatter trail' at 8 am to run 10 miles but by mile 5, the heat was getting intense and zapping my energy, and running low on fluids so took shortcut back to trailhead, finished 6.1 miles, 1:04:14.

Plenty to keep me busy the rest of the day with the move at the end of the month.

But at 6 pm, I drove to the athletic club, weight training and core exercises for about 30 minutes, then ran 4.2 miles, intervals, 36:40, finished with 10 minutes on exercise bike.

So got my 10 miles in and feeling good, iced my knee while eating dinner. 

Out of town on business till Thursday so hope I can run with the all women trail running group Thurs evening ...........

There's a 5K & 10K races in two different areas (about an hour apart), not sure if I will have the time.  I have to be in PHX Fri and doesn't look like I won't be home till around midnight.  Don't think I will get a good night's sleep for the 10K race the next morning, bummer!! But I am really missing my HM events  ..............

You all stay COOL, HYDRATED and SAFE in your running!!

Trail runner

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Happy Anniversary to all of my fellow masters!  My DH and I celebrated 40 years on June 10th. with all of these long years together for so many of us, the obvious conclusion is......runners make better lovers.

Phyllis, I'll be 61 next month, so not to my 70's yet.

Steve, great race report! I always feel like I'm running it w/ you.

Ron, congrats on your pr!

Debra, glad to see you back....we've missed your posts.

urun, sorry to hear about your DH's injury. That is a bummer. Hope it heals ok and he won't have to have surgery.

Andy, the mud run challenge sounds fun....not that I would want to do it. But, I can attest to doing races w/ your kid. They really help that bonding process. I run a lot w/ my daughter. Matter of fact, she got me back into running about 3 yrs ago.

Rutrunner, so glad to have you on our thread!

az, 2 a day's?!?!? Wow, you are a tough one!

Mary Kay....how do your "fall sideways" into a HM? I got a chuckle out of that! Great job on your recent 8 miler!

Dan....I think you can lose the slow part.... you are doing great. The other fellow in your AG, must have been on some sort of youth elixir! His time was incredible.

Ok, I've missed someone..... forgive me. I don't mean to.

My running is going fine. Today was a maintenancerun of 3.12 miles for me, time was 29:46 avg 9:33 pace. I'll take it! It was hot and humid. Tomorrow, DD and I will do our LSD, and will try for 10 again. We'll have to get up before 6 am to start by daybreak. I did purchase some knuckle lights on sale to use when it's dark, but haven't tried them out yet. I know they will come in handy during the winter.

I'm still liking my Newton's, although I did have a bit of soreness in my right foot along the 5th metatarsal. So I cross trained an extra day (off running 2 days instead of 1) and put a slip of foam in the shoe under the sock liner to lift the side I suppinate on, and also wore a "tape" on the arch today. No problem w/ the foot on today's run, but I'll be cautious tomorrow anyhow.

Well, that's all the new worth reporting in my neck of the woods. Happy running everyone! Stay safe, hydrated and cool!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Dan, Haven't you found a new respect for the hearty souls who run consistently in the type of weather we've been experiencing?  The heat, humidity and high winds have certainly been a challenge!  The prairie garden sounds wonderful -- great idea with the dry summer we're having.

Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training Novice plan http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program can be set up for running 3 times a week.  Wednesday's training has you running 2 miles or cross training, so you can decide.  The longest run is 10 miles.  I used a combo of the HH plan and Runner's World Smart Coach plan for the Door County HM becaus the RW plan started where I was at as far as mileage. If you enter a recent race time and # of miles per week you are currently running it will calculate a suggested pace for each run, tempo and speedwork.  I did not utilize the speedwork days for my first HM effort, but ran tempo or fartlek on those training days. Both plans are free and worth a look at. 

Run strong, and all the best with you training!

• ScheerVegas Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012

I'm 56 and never have been athletic.  However, my 26-year-old daughter has been running since cross country in high school.  A year-and-a-half ago, my son got cancer just as he was starting his second year of college.  He is currently in remission, but it is a cancer that likes to come back, so we live our lives three months at a time (between scans).  He decided he wanted to take a road trip around the US all by himself, so I'm now an empty nester until August!

My daughter suggested I start running earlier this year and referred me to Couch25K.  I didn't think I could do it, but it was really easy - at first.  Then there was that big jump from two 10-minute jogs to one 25-minute jog... I still can't jog more than about 15 minutes without having to walk.  I've been doing this now since March.  I'm proud that I can do that much, but I'd really like to do more...

I did do a 5K and raised $225 for cancer research for MPNST (the cancer my son has).  I ran in honor of him, his friend, and another girl I met who had her leg amputated at the age of 15 from this cancer!  However, I certainly didn't "run" it all.  My time was just over 50 minutes.

I was running three evenings a week, but I live in the desert, and it's getting too hot to run outdoors, so I started on a treadmill, but that's really boring!  I found that I just watch the clock.

Does anyone have any suggestions for 1) how to get over that hump to be able to run longer; and 2) what keeps you occupied while on a treadmill?

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

ScheerVegas:  Rather than jump right away from 10 minutes to 25, I suggest you increase by two or three minutes at a time.  You could make it even more gradual by doing two jogs of 10 or 12 minutes rather than one, than two at 14 or 15, and so on.

I don't use a treadmill, so I can't help you with that.  I find it just as boring as you do.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Hi everyone, I've been offline for a bit because my home router died a slow death, but I've been surreptitiously reading and enjoying your posts from work.

az1414, are you running Northland Hospice this weekend?  I'm doing the 5K.  It'll be nice to get away from the heat for a few hours!

ScheerVegas, does youy gym have TV screens on the treadmills - if I find a good cooking show I can tolerate up to an hour, but mostly it drives me crazy with boredom, so when it gets to be this time of year I just bite the bullet, get up at stupid o'clock and get my run in before sunrise.  I live in Phoenix so I "get it" about the desert heat.

My mileage has been pretty pathetic lately, even for post-marathon, but at least I'm getting to my track workouts.  My coach has added an early morning workout on Thursdays over the summer, which is mostly high school cross-country kids plus a few of us old farts.  We did "ladders" yesterday (running for 10, 8, 6, 4, and 2 minutes with breaks in between) and I actually maintained a 8:40 pacethroughout - not too shabby!

Have a great weekend everyone, good luck to those who are running, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009

ScheerVegas: First of all my heart goes out to you and your family as you deal with your son's illness.

Sounds like you have done a wonderful job getting started with running.  I agree with Steve in that the best course of action is to build up slowly.  When you jump too quickly you tend to get discouraged.  Make small goals and work towards them. If you do that you are more likely to succeed.

I live in the northeast so during the winter especially I do use the treadmill.  I agree it is boring but it can be done. What works for me is putting a TV in front of it.  Also use the programs on the treadmill. They break things into segments and it keeps things a little more interesting. 

In your training make sure you are incorporating other elements into the mix. Stretching, core exercises, and proper diet.

-Bill

Aug 2, 2010

Welcome ScheerVegas!  Congratulations on all you have accomplished since March -- starting C25K, your first 5k, raising $$$ for cancer research and dealing with something no parent or child should have to go through. My prayers for continued strength for you and your family.

As Steve and Bill suggested, take it one step at a time.  The C25K program is great, but one plan doesn't work for everyone -- tailor it to you.  At age 53, it took me 13 weeks to complete.  I repeated weeks until I could complete them and then moved on to the next week.  You'll find a wealth of wisdom and inspiration on this thread.  Come back often, and keep us posted on your progress.  You are doing great!

I don't use a treadmill, but run at an indoor track during the winter.  Incredibly boring, but happy to have the option when ice and snow cover the paths.  I don't regularly use an ipod, but during those tedious laps it helps pass the time listening to music, podcasts or books.

Run strong!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Welcome! You've gotten some great advice on the TM. You really don't have to stop running intervals if that's a big challenge. Look into run/walk programs such as Galloway's. If you need to finish the long run, slow down your pace about a minute. That did it for me. You can pick the time up later as you grow more confident.

Getting motivated to restart HM training to prepare for fall. Am having a practically no run week to baby the knee injury but workout at the gym with trainer was huge! It made a big difference. Visiting with family now and found a nice bike trail for runs so will get two in. Having big personal/training/work problems but putting them on hold for three days for visit, probably last, with Mom. Ugh!

Dan, you are still the man! Revel in your success!!

Many strong and happy miles to you all!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• oldohioron Pro 113 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011

I ran 10 miles (1:30:00) today and for the first time I used my Heart Rate Moitor. The readings were over 200! Does anyone know how accurate these things are? I wore it one other time but the run was shorter and the readings were in the 180 range, so I di not think too much of it. But now I am wondering if my heart is really going this fast.

I have the Garmin 405CX.

Ron

Age 65

Started C25K June 6, 2011

Completed C25K August 6, 2011

Lions Club 5K August 13, 2011........................... 25:54

Sole to Soul 5k March 31, 2012.......................... 23:52

Home Run for the Homeless April 28, 2012 ..........24:15

May in Bay May 26, 2012................................... 22:43 1st in AG

Fat Little 5k June 16, 2012.................................. 22:39.6

Lions Club 5k August 11, 2012............................ 21:51 1st in AG PR

North Coast Challenge Sept 1, 2012.................... 40:30 PR

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Debra-thanks for the suggestions.  I think adapting a plan like that makes a lot of sense.

You are so right about those that run in the heat.  I used to work in the heat when I was MUCH younger and didn't seem like a big deal.  Another one of those aging things I guess.     Hard to imagine living in the south and running in the summer. that must be when they hit the TM in the AC, just like we use the heat & TM in the winter. 

Welcome ScheerVegas- slow and steady is the way to start.  the run/walk method has lots of good things going for it; many on this board would commend it to you.  Hang in there and you'll be surprised where you'll be in 6 months.

mkayc- thoughts and prayers to you and your Mom.  I lost my Mom at 86 this past January.  Those last years and months are very difficult.  So good you can see her.

oldohioron-  You are right to question those numbers.  I'd be very surprised (and a little concerned) if they were accurate.  I'd suggest stopping in the middle of your run and quickly taking a 10-15 second pulse check at your wrist and calculating your heart rate from that, then comparing it to your Garmin rate.  My Garmin 305 has that capability, but I've never tried it.  With those numbers you are putting up, you are doing something right!!!  Way to go!

long/slow 7 miles today while visiting family in Kaukauna/Appleton area.  Nice trails through most of those towns.  And I decided it must be time for new shoes, since my feet have been complaining more the last few weeks.  We will see if the Brooks Ghost 4 will make them feel better!

Happy and safe running to all.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Aug 2, 2010

Ron~Ohhh!  Readings over 200 on your HRM would have me concerned, too.  I don't have a lot of experience w/ my Forerunner 305 using the HRM, so I'm not much help to you.  I'm sure others on the thread will have some good info to share.

MaryKay~I'm so glad you found a place to run and work through what is going on in your life right now.  Visiting with aging parents is always bittersweet.  It's going to be an emotional time, I'll be thinking of you.

Had a wonderful 4.5 mile run with my 28 yr. old niece from her apt. down to the lakefront.  Temps much milder made for a nice morning.  We ran down to cheer on friends running the 2nd annual Rock n' Sole 5k, 10k & 1/4 Marathon.  I ran the 10k last year and due to hot/humid conditions, late start time, miscalculation of water/aid stations I was determined to never run it again.  New management took over this year and did a fantastic job!  I think I'll give it another try next year!

Heading to the Door Peninsula for a family camping trip for a few days.  Going to retrace miles from the HM course I ran in May, plus a lot of hiking and biking.

Run strong, friends!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Ron, I question those numbers too. I went to a local gym with a TM that had HR measures and tried to reproduce the exertion levels I had measured with my Garmin 305 to see how similar it would be. It came out pretty far off (Garmin was much lower) but I used the Garmin HR band with my Motoactv and get a more accurate reading. This may help? It was really helpful to have the HR data during the Flying Pig because I struggled so early in the race, would have pushed harder, been miserable and might not have finished had it not been for the really high readings on the HR monitor that told me to relax.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

I hope everyone had a great weekend, whether racing, training, being with family or a combination.  After my 20K and two HMs in four weeks, I took last week off from running.  I did two long, low-intensity gym workouts including some treadmill walking with hill intervals, but no running at all.  We are due for moderate temps in Chicago early this week, then another heat wave with the possibility of 100 by Thursday. 

Debra:  Enjoy your trip to Door County.  As you already know, some of the best biking roads in the Midwest are there.  I don't know where you stay, but when we had our RV, we stayed at a campground near Fish Creek and biked from there.  Also hiking and trail biking in Peninsula Park (climbing the fire tower for pictures).

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• oldohioron Pro 113 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011

Well I read the instructions this time on my HRM. I did my 1/4 mile intervals tody and the HRM was right on and believable it topped out at about 150 on my 95 - 110 second 1/4 miles.

The main thing I dd differently was moisten the electrodes and make sure I had the chest strap on right side up.

Have a good week running everyone

Ron

Age 65

Started C25K June 6, 2011

Completed C25K August 6, 2011

Lions Club 5K August 13, 2011........................... 25:54

Sole to Soul 5k March 31, 2012.......................... 23:52

Home Run for the Homeless April 28, 2012 ..........24:15

May in Bay May 26, 2012................................... 22:43 1st in AG

Fat Little 5k June 16, 2012.................................. 22:39.6

Lions Club 5k August 11, 2012............................ 21:51 1st in AG PR

North Coast Challenge Sept 1, 2012.................... 40:30 PR

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...