Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1345 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2012 9:44 PM by GeoWolf RSS
laserjones16 Rookie 5 posts since
Jun 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2012 4:24 AM

Over 50 and trying again

I'm a 52 year old mom trying to get back into running/shape after taking about 2 years off.  Boy, is this hard.  I am going to try and go the c25k route. Adding to my age is the fact that I am about 20 pounds over weight so all in all, this should be quite a challenge.   Any one out there similarly situated?  Would love the support and company!

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1. Jun 20, 2012 6:21 AM (in response to laserjones16)
    Over 50 and trying again

lasserjones16:  I know the feeling.  I took up running again at 62, after many years away from it and after getting a pacemaker to correct a heart rate problem.  I took it one mile at a time and very slowly worked my way up.  While I did not also have to fight a weight problem, developing the stamina to jog/run more than a mile took time.  I urge you to stay with it, combine running and walking (see Jeff Galloway's books on his method) and you will see improvement.

I also suggest you join us on our forum "Over 50, 5K and beyond" on this site.  We have a very enthusiastic group of 50+ runners and most of us can directly relate to you.  We're happy to share our experience and whatever knowledge we can impart.  We are everything from 5K to marathoners and many of the group either are doing or have done the C25K program.  Please consider joining us.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2. Jun 20, 2012 4:58 PM (in response to SteveBikeRun)
    Over 50 and trying again

Laserjones, like Steve, I can identify w/ you. I started running again about 3 yrs ago, used the c25k program and got hooked on running. I've had some ups and downs (injuries that required me to be off a while and had to repeat c25k) but am now training to do the Goofy Challenge ( a marathon one day, half marathon the day prior). Like Steve, I invite you over to our our over 50 thread. We have a great group of crazy runners. We support each other, cheer when they do well, commiserate when they are down, kick their rears when they need it, etc. We are aged 50 to 80 and maybe older. You will be right at home as one of the "youngsters".

Keep running and you will meet your goals.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3. Jun 20, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to PaintingLady)
    Over 50 and trying again

Laserjones I Agree with Steve & Marie. the vast majoritity of the runners on this thread were in your same suitation at one time or another. I started running almost two years ago at age 58. I first started walking, then walking faster, then a slow 14mm jog. Two years later I averaged 9:45 for Disneys Half Marathon. The increased exercise helped me lose 40 lbs. Then I caught the running bug. I discovered that longer distances were my preference. Last year I completed 5 half marathons each better than the prior. On Monday I started training for my first full Marathon in Chicago October 7th. One month prior to my 60th birthday. If it wern't for the 50 and over thread. I would of probably stopped after my first couple of bad runs. However you'll shortly learn that everybody has good and bad runs. Good advice and support is always just a click away. One of the hardest thing you'll do is to make the commitment. Over time the rest comes easy. Start slow follow a good plan. Trust in your training. In the beginning it's time on your feet that matters. NOT SPEED that comes later. Looking forward to reading your post and sharing your good and bad days.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Feb 27, 2011
    4. Jun 20, 2012 7:07 PM (in response to Webpro11)
    Over 50 and trying again

To hot to run in Florida tonight. 87 and raining. So I went to the Y and did 4 easy miles on the dreadmill.My run was great But it felt like 90 inside. So much for staying dry and running inside.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

Feb 27, 2011
    6. Jun 21, 2012 6:16 AM (in response to laserjones16)
    Over 50 and trying again

To my running friends in the North. Our Florida heat is on the way. Remember all the basics. Run 15 seconds slower for every 5 degrees over 60. Run before the sun comes over the horizon. Stay hydrated.

The good news is this will quickly pass for all of you. Might want to consider running indoors.

Stay safe. It takes a while to get your body use to high temperatures.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• GeoWolf Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    7. Jun 23, 2012 9:44 PM (in response to laserjones16)
    Over 50 and trying again

I'd love to join you!  I’m in S.E. Texas.  I am on my 3rd C25K try. I got benched in the final weeks the last 2 times, week 9 the 1st time, car accident, and week 8 the 2nd. My knee got slammed into by a sheep (being chased) and a dog (chasing) and I it just didn't want to heal. Then I procrastinated starting again all through the cool winter months.  Well OK so maybe not totally because I tripped and hit that knee and lost about 3 weeks to that.  Then I was going on a 2 week trip to the mountains and I couldn’t see starting there.  I haven’t been feeling great and my weight has been going up and up and no way I’ll admit how overweight I am at that point, but “HA!” I laugh at your 20 lbs.  I swear I’ve gained that much since the new year.  I actually started my “3rd time’s the charm” run for the C25K almost a month ago.  Don’t freak, but I’m not that far ahead of you.  W1D3 I was in the home stretch and I tripped on the road and fell on my hands and knee.  Thankfully it was the other knee.  But I skinned it pretty deep and it was sore for about a 2 weeks.  As it healed I noticed my foot was also sore and bruised.  I considered jogging a few times but I wanted to be sure it was healed.  (It’s still sore and twinges, but it doesn’t hurt jogging)  Yesterday I did W2D1.  I was prepared to possibly have to start over again with almost a month off but it felt pretty good.  OK so maybe not good, but not nearly as hard as the 1st time I started this.  (When I had to add extra days to every week and I don’t think I ever accomplished a day 1 run.  More like W3D5 and I can finally move on…)  Which is why a lot of the time I jogged every other day instead of 3 times a weeks to try and keep up with the group to some degree.  That was how it was the 2nd time I started too, only that time I had less time down and started in week 3 or 4. 

This time I started over not as much because I didn’t think I might be able to do week 3 but because I was so slow the last 2 times that I wanted to try and improve my speed.  Even in week 9 I wasn’t getting to 5K running for time.  I never considered until someone posted it here that since I was doing this last summer and now this summer the heat might have something to do with my being so slow.  I laughed when I read the post by WebPro11, where he said it was too hot to run outside because it’s 87.  OMG all last summer with triple digit temps during the day, I was jogging at close to midnight praying that the temps would be near or on a lucky night below 90, by that time.  I’m thinking that last night it was 85 when I left the house a little after 11 PM.  We live at least 12 miles from the nearest gym (which I can’t afford to join right now) so outside is the only place I’ll be jogging. 

I want to try and stick to my every other day schedule but I have a 4 year old (almost 5) so it depends upon what we are doing with him.  I think W2D1 yesterday I covered (including warm up cool down) 1.85 miles on the C25K app, but I was still far enough from home that by the time I got there I should have been really close to the 2 mile mark.  I was a little slow on the warm up because my son insisted on “jogging” with me and I had to stay in the yard and keep track of him.  I’m hoping that by day 3 I’ll pass the 2 mile mark in the time limit.  I’m not sure what the distances are at this point and I need to check.  Are you doing the program for time or distance? 

I need to get some music on my phone.  I’ve never figured out how to do that, but I don’t want to spend a lot paying for stuff if I don’t have to.  Right now my husband follows me when I jog at night because we have coyotes out here, so he plays the radio, but his window broke and the road slopes too much for me to run on the passenger side so last night I was really missing my music.  I need to look for a thread with some suggestions for good jogging music.  I didn’t have a smart phone my other attempts so I had to go and get the weeks on my MP3 player.  I wasn’t fond of most of the music they were playing though.   

Where are you?  Are you planning to post here or just on the other thread?

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...