Skip navigation

2146 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 9:54 AM by RunNGunSuns
mreddd Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2012 9:58 AM

Too late to start playing?

Hey guys, I know that it's kind of a stupid question but I was just wondering would it be too late for me to start training to play basketball profesionally? I'm 19 (20 this year) and I'm 7ft on the dot. I'm not new to the game or anything and I've been playing ever since I was little and still do now but thing is that I never took it seriously, I've not done any serious training in a long long time because I'm kinda skinny so I find it really hard to keep up with others and I just give up and go to the park or something and play by myself instead. I know most of the good players start training properly and playing when they're young, like 12 or 14 or something, so I'm just not sure if 19/20 is too late or not, especially when I'm kinda skinny as well. I really have to make my mind up soon because next year (or possibly year after next year as well) is my last chance to give it a go, because I'm at uni atm and I can easily play for the team/ train with them for the next few years and see where that gets me but once I graduate I don't think I'll ever have time to train and play again.

Also, any tips for a big guy like me? as in drills/ workout plans etc. I'm trying to work out and go out to play by myself everyday now during the summer cos I've got loads of free time, it would be nice to use that time well.

Thanks

• NextCP3 Legend 320 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    1. Jun 24, 2012 12:51 PM (in response to mreddd)

idk if its too late. what grade are u in??? some drills u can do is alot of post moves, and a drill called the miken, where u do a left hand layup and the left side and a right hand layup on the right side over and over and time urself for 30seconds.

• NextCP3 Legend 320 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    3. Jun 24, 2012 1:04 PM (in response to mreddd)

where do u live??? also another good drill is to develop a jump shot cuz most guys wont expect a tall guy to have a jumper: time yourself to see how long it takes you to hit a jumper from the left baseline, left elbow, free throw, right elbow, then right baseline in that order and you cant move from that spot until you make it

• babatunde11 Pro 94 posts since
    Jan 10, 2012
    5. Jun 24, 2012 2:06 PM (in response to mreddd)
    Re: Too late to start playing?

Where he lives and his "grade" is irrevelant. I advise you to invest in a trainer who can take care of all that yucky stuff for you and get you in the best shape possible to maybe make a comeback.. you said you have some experience and 20 isn't too late soo best of luck to you!

• RunNGunSuns Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 25, 2012
    6. Jun 26, 2012 9:54 AM (in response to mreddd)

You should invest in a trainer. If you can't, work on jumpers, post moves, rebounding, and d. If you go to the NBA, or even the euroleauge (since you live in the uk) there's always room for a talented 7 footer oozing with potential.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points