Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4276 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 8:19 AM by Reflective Runner RSS
Shadeslinger Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 6, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2012 5:37 PM

48 year old

Hey Guys. I have a question. I am a 48 year old guy and I started running about 3 years ago. I run between 1 and 1.5 miles most mornings before work. I average (haven't tested it for 6-8 months) about 9 minute miles and my fastest mile was about 8:40 seconds. I was wondering if that is a decent time for a 48 year old guy. I have to say I am content with my morning runs and love doing it. I was just wondering  how slow I actually am.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jun 6, 2012 6:27 PM (in response to Shadeslinger)
    48 year old

I would say do whatever you are comfortable with and progress along at your own pace for the future.  If you wish to participate in races, for example, then consider pushing out your morning running schedule first and then the speed with natually develop with greater endurance.  Basically, a 27 minute 5k finish would be slightly above average overall for your age category, but it would depend on an endless number of other factors. 

The important issues are your objectives, so just focus on those and enjoy your personal running accomplishments.  If you want to move on to more competitive environments, then focus on the total miles with a gradual pace increase over time. 

Hope this helps and wishing you many happy miles.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jun 7, 2012 6:09 AM (in response to Shadeslinger)
    48 year old

You'll find that the great majority of posters here run longer distances, where 5K (3.1 miles) is the starting point.  So you're kind of comparing apples (1 mile) and oranges (3 miles or more).  While I can run a mile in 8:40, I probably can't sustain that pace for 5 miles or more.  I might be able to do 8:40 pace for a 5K.  A truly valid comparison would require longer distances on your part.  Not that you should do that, if you're happy with what you're doing now.

Len

Len

• Brett..K Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    3. Jun 13, 2012 5:05 AM (in response to Shadeslinger)
    48 year old

I am also 48 and have been running on and off my whole life.  There are techniques for getting faster if that's what you want to do.  I can still throw down a sub-7 mile, and my last 5k was 21 something.  Half marathon 1:40 ish.  Time is relative, if your happy with it go with it.  Maybe throw in some distance for a little better workout.  Enjoy.....

• DarnSlow Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 15, 2010
    4. Jun 13, 2012 3:00 PM (in response to Shadeslinger)
    48 year old

I am 48 too, and have been running more or less regularly since I was 35.  I am a little slower than Brett K., and faster than some of the other commentators.  While it is certainly fun to see what limits I can push myself to, what matters most to me is that I'm getting some fresh air and exercise, and as a consequence I don't have a "beer belly".  Since time constraints are an issue, what works best for me is to do 3-4 miles once or twice during the week, and one longer run during the weekend, say 7-10 miles.  While many trainning plans care for runs 5-6 times a week, that is never going to work for me.  I agree with the other comments that as your mileage picks up, you'll be in better shape and your times will naturally get better for the same amount of effort.  Until recently, I used to push hard almost every time I ran, but then learned that's a no-no.  So, now I'm trying keep it slow and easy for 80% of my mileage, and then pick a day to push hard the other 10-20% of the time.  It seems as though the soreness after a workout goes away much faster now, so I guess there is something to that philosophy.

• Richard True Amateur 12 posts since
    Oct 31, 2011
    5. Jun 14, 2012 8:00 AM (in response to Shadeslinger)
    48 year old

I'm 50 and have been running for about ten years, and I feel most comfortable running about 9 minute miles. I go faster for some races, others I just hope to finish. But all in all, I'd say that my pace generally seems about average. You'll always find guys our age running miles in the 6 and 7 minute range, but they are generally guys that have been running competetively for decades.

If you're really curious about how you measure up, check out race results for some of the local races- they almost always list gender and age.

Most of all, just enjoy your runs.

4/15/12 Marathon 4:59:10

9/15/12 5K Run For the Hills 24:21

10/21/12 Rock N Roll Half Marathon 1:55:21

Next race: Williams Route 66 Marathon

• Gregory_X Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    6. Jun 14, 2012 5:45 PM (in response to Shadeslinger)
    48 year old

Just to stir up the responses a bit: I'm a couple years behind you (45 this year). I hadn't run since high-school until 2008. I started with the 1-3 miles thing (while my missus was doing C25K). Here we are a few years later and I'm running kinda fast for my age.

If you're loving it, keep loving it. I have some CRAZY fast guys around here - over 50 doing 5Ks in under 15:30 - so I know very well that I have to love my runs for my own reasons. I am no world-record-setter and will not be.

I enjoy the "age graded performance" scales because they offer me a road-map to compete with myself for decades to come. Google it. Pretty cool. 100% is a world-record performance for your age. I'm aiming to get to 85%, but that doesn't mean what it would mean to a 20-year-old, time-wise.

I enjoy the time-based stuff... just to see if I'm getting better. And compared to whom. And I love it whatever the outcome may be. =)

< run exclusively racing flats; 60-90 miles in 6-7 days per week; train on trails, roads, tracks >

Results - at 46-years-old:

8/2012 - Mile 4:47

3/2014 - 5K 16:12

11/2013 - 10K 34:55

10/2013 - Half Marathon 1:19:22

12/2013 - Marathon 2:52:05

(I kinda feel silly posting this stuff - but I realize when I read posts that it helps me understand who's posting.)

• R-hizzle Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    7. Jun 25, 2012 8:25 AM (in response to Shadeslinger)
    48 year old

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading the replies to your post. It gives me inspiration to keep training and moving forward. I'm 52 years old. I ran a little in college then fell into the strength training craze the majority of my life. I was able to keep myself in decent shape but always loved the thought of being a runner. After retiring from the police force last year I trained and ran in my first 5k(since college) in May'11, Running with the Wolves, in Chicago's western suburbs. Unfortunately I tore my Meniscus and had to have surgery July'11. I vowed to recover and never give up on my dream of becoming a runner. In May'12, I once again ran that race and finished, injury free, at 36:00mins. The sence of accomplishment was addictive. Training and finishing that first race, now I'm hooked. Since then I've ran another 5k and currently following a training plan to run in a 10k in August( the Chicago Bank of America 10k). My time is slower than i would like but I feel my base improving, the distance is getting longer and I'm recovering faster. Its this great feeling of competing against yourself and your body responding to the training, i can't explain. To read about other men in my age group blasting out the miles at those times is truely motivational. The only advise i can dare add is to sign up and train for a race, then another. It's the great motivator to train. I love this feeling. Thanks. Be careful, train smart and Cross train to help keep you injury free. TRAIN TO BE INJURY FREE! I love Asics and New Balance!

• Reflective Runner Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    8. Jun 26, 2012 8:19 AM (in response to Shadeslinger)
    48 year old

I think if you are a "casual" runner who is content with your runs as you say you are, then your pace is fine for 48.  I am 52 and typically run 3 miles 3-4 times per week.  I try to run around a 9:30 pace myself.  I am not trying to break any speed records.  I just want a good pace that keeps me active and in shape (and allows me to spurge periodically on some good food...).  If I run in a 5K event, I try to be under 30 minutes as a general rule. 

I am a morning runner as well (before work) and I find it gets my juices flowing and helps me get into the work day with some energy.  Also, I find if I don't run in the morning, it is really hard for me to get the motivation at the end of the work day.  I think the key is as long as it makes you feel good and you enjoy it, there is no ideal pace really.

Barry Johnson (aka Reflective Runner)

Find Relective Running Gear Here:

http://reflectivegearforrunning.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...