Skip navigation

506 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2012 12:28 PM by Waynee147 RSS
Waynee147 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 25, 2012 12:28 PM

Pumpkin Prowl, October 27th, Rotary Club of Waller County Charity Ride

The date chosen For the 1st Annual Pumpkin Prowl is Saturday, October 27, 2012. It will be a metric century with a 50K and a 25K "Family Ride." I tried to get into the Motorcycle Marshal Forum site and cannot get in even as a visitor. My name is Wayne Ballentine and I am a member of the Rotary Club of Waller County. We are a small club with 14 members. Rotary International is an international service organization that serves the local community as well as international projects.

Waller County with a population of approx. 43,000 individuals -- half live at or below the poverty level ($30,000 for a family of four.) This places an extreme burden on social services including any "Food Bank." Our club is in the process of attempting to create a "Mobile Food Pantry" that will alternately travel to either the north-end or south-end of the county and distribute much-needed assistance to those families. Considering the gravity of the situation and the extreme conditions that are not being addressed by any other means -- you can appreciate the necessity and the type of funding required to be successful. Ergo, our plea for your consideration to make our effort successful.

What you may not be aware of is that the Houston Food Bank does not give you food. It has to be purchased. So, our money is being raised to buy food, pay for electricity and maintain the storage space for our operation. One of the principles of Rotary is that no funds raised can be spent on anything except service to the community. Rotarians charge dues for club operations and all monies are kept separate. We also set up a 501 c 3 - Waller Rotary Charities, Inc. for collecting and dispersing monies to the various scholarships, community assistance and international projects.

I hope you will be willing to work with us and make our event successful. You may reach me by e-mail at weballentine@pvamu.edu or you may call me at 713-851-0991. Thank you in advance for anything you are willing to assist us with. More details will be coming shortly. We are trying to get as early a start as possible since the fall fills up quickly with rides.

Thank you in advance and we are also looking for sponsors should someone or compay be inclined to come forward.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...