Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2801 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 4:32 PM by Pitbullsmom RSS
desiraeaps Rookie 3 posts since
May 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2012 6:00 PM

So many BAD runs.

I started running (with purpose and consistency) almost exactly 2 months ago. When I started, I could already run 2 miles non-stop (running once a month or so but working out in other ways on a regular basis). Now, with actual consistent running under my belt (3-4 times per week) I can *usually* get to about a mile before I have to stop and walk. Sometimes I get to a mile and a half. Sometimes 3/4 of a mile. Sometimes the first TWO are completely effortless and then things go down hill. (I generally try to run about 3 miles at a time and have to walk 2-4 times.) Normally my legs feel tired and heavy and I have trouble breathing. My diet is very consistent, as is my sleep and exercise. I'm fit (my resting HR is 45-48). This past Sunday I ran 4 miles non-stop. They were 4 slow, beautiful, delicious miles. It felt like a spa day. Two days later (easy yoga on the day between), I tried to run 3.5 and had to walk 5 times. I'm extremely frustrated. Am I just being impatient? Or not pushing hard enough? When will it start getting easier/more enjoyable on a consistent basis?

• irun4fun4 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 6, 2011
    1. Jun 20, 2012 7:29 PM (in response to desiraeaps)
    So many BAD runs.

In reading your post, I would say I was actually writing it.  I have the same issues you are having.  Will be watching for responses/advice.  In the meantime, good luck! 

• LaurieWannaB Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 21, 2012
    2. Jun 21, 2012 7:19 AM (in response to desiraeaps)
    So many BAD runs.

I am right there with you as well. I could have written your post too.    I completed the C25K in March, but then soccer season started and I was off my schedule until the beginning of June. Off schedule means that instead of 3x a week, I was getting only 2x at most.   Now I am trying to get back on track but it seems like all I can do is run one mile and then walk because my lungs are bursting or I have yet another stitch in my side.   I am blaming the warmer weather....

....but in the meantime, I am trying to hydrate better 2 hours before a run, eat smarter meals before my runs, and trying to remember the breathing techniques I used when I was just getting started.  Due to the increase of side stitches, I cannot eat or drink less than 2 hours before a run.  And it is frustrating because I am impatient.  I will also be interested in what advice is given here. 

• Coopers2008 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    3. Jun 21, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to desiraeaps)
    So many BAD runs.

I have been having this same issue, so I have decided to do more cross training to help me push beyond this.  Started with some yoga, hiking, and longer walks. Last saturday I tried speed work.  Running short intervals at full speed then walking in between.  I only did 5 intervals total but walked a good bit.  I think this is helping.

Good luck

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Jun 21, 2012 10:52 PM (in response to desiraeaps)
    So many BAD runs.

You might want to keep a running log for a couple of weeks to see if the quality of your runs correlates with other factors in your life (diet, sleep, stress, other forms of exercise, etc.) and see if there are any patterns that show up. Sometimes those patterns don't become obvious until they are written down.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• AnaheimHillRunner Amateur 26 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    6. Jun 22, 2012 3:21 PM (in response to desiraeaps)
    So many BAD runs.

I am guessing that you are relatively new to running, and that you never competed in races or engaged in a serious training program. If that is the case, you are asking your body to do an activity that is completely alien. It is going to take a lot of time and dedication. You need to be patient. Even elite runners have their off days. It is all relative.

I don't know what kind of surfaces you are running on, but if it is mostly street running or hard surfaces, the pounding will make you feel more fatigued than if you were running on a dirt trail or grass surface.

Another factor is your running form. There are a lot of videos on the internet about good running form that you can watch for free. Basically, you need to keep your shoulders back, hips forward, lift your knees high (but no too high) and keep you arms low but moving straight forward. It is good to focus on proper running form until it becomes habit. You will avoid injuries and run more efficiently with proper form. I have been running since I was 9 years old, and I still have to remember to focus on my form, especially when I feel fatigued.

The main thing about running is to enjoy and to remain dedicated to achieving your goals.

• First race after a 13 year absence was a 5k in September 2011 in a time of 23:00.
    • Timberwolf 5k Irvine, CA, February 18, 2012: 21:39.0
    • California Senior Games 5K, March 11, 2012, Stanford University: 20:55
    • Pasadena Senior Games 5K, June 2, 2012, Cal Tech: 21:52
    • Southern California Association USATF Masters Championships 5K, June 16, 2012, Pasadena, CA: 21:43
    • Marina High School 2-mile All Comers, August 16, 2012, Huntington Beach, CA: 12:38
    • San Diego Senior Games, Track and Field, 3000 Meters, September 22, 2012, San Diego, CA: 12:05

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jun 22, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to desiraeaps)
    So many BAD runs.

No offense, but really, 2 months is nothing, and not enough to be worrying so much.  I've been running for 27 years and I still have days when 5 miles just glides by - and other days when 3 miles feel like a marathon.   I would suggest that you take it a little easier on your pace.  I particularly noticed one line ". . . I ran 4 miles non-stop. They were 4 slow, beautiful, delicious miles . . ."  So it sounds like you had a very relaxed, easy, slow run.  The first thing you want to try to do is be comfortable with your pace.  When you push too hard, everything gets hard.  And you're no longer having fun.  Save the hard stuff for when you're doing race-specific training.

Len

Len

• Pitbullsmom Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 19, 2012
    8. Jun 23, 2012 9:12 AM (in response to desiraeaps)
    So many BAD runs.

I feel ya!!  I had a CRAPPY 5k run today   This is my 4th 5k, and I did the Phila Broad Street 10-miler last month.  Today, I couldn't get to the mile marker before I had to walk and couldn't breath.    I was so upset, and more disappointed.  Does anyone think it could be that I'm normally an "evening" runner, and have been running on the treadmill to try to up my pace? 

I'd be happy though if someone could at least tell me that all runners have a bad day here and there...? 

• usnavy233 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 2, 2010
    9. Jun 23, 2012 9:23 AM (in response to desiraeaps)
    So many BAD runs.

These have been touched on already but are worth repeating. First, slow down. Second, be patient. Third, keep a detailed log of nutrition (including the day prior to your run), pace, location, weather, etc. This will help you weed on any variables. But honestly, two months is a short time to run cosistently without some body fatique. The key is to keep the pace slow and let your body build up the endurance.

"He is best; who is trained in the severest school."

- General Thucydides, 424BC

• emalcon1 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 13, 2012
    11. Jun 26, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to desiraeaps)
    Re: So many BAD runs.

"PitbullsMom--It KILLS me that most races are in the AM. I don't function in the AM and I do all my running in the evening. I think I'll need to force myself to do some pre-work running prior to September for additional "training.""

I spent several years in the military, getting up at 5 am for PT...and hated every second of those early morning workouts. I'd rather stay up to run at 1am than get up at 6am.

• Pitbullsmom Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 19, 2012
    12. Jun 26, 2012 4:32 PM (in response to emalcon1)
    So many BAD runs.

ME TOO!!!  I am such a night owl   I can get up and run.  I do it every run.  This past saturday I think I just started off too fast.  I'm still sort of learning "my own way" you know?  It's only my 4th 5k, but I did do the Broad Street run.  To be honest, I had a goal too of beating a friend of mine and I think that was karma kind of kicking me in the butt haha! 

I don't even go to the gym in the morning.  I just can't do it.  Getting up at 5:00 a.m...uuugghhh and you had to get up and be ON!! 

Any words of wisdom you can give are gladly appreciated!!! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...