Skip navigation

1520 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 9:52 AM by NELL_blue RSS
NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
May 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2012 9:52 AM

Dropped Third Strike Incidences?

In Little League this year, dropped third strike has been instituted. Have you had any issues with it.

I have had 2 interesting issues.

1) 2 outs, batter swings and misses third strike. Ball bounces out of catchers glove and defensive team celebrates the 3rd strike and leaves the field, catcher tosses ball back to mound and heads to dugout. Batter is told to run by his third base coach. A runner was on 2 and he starts to run also. Both runners complete a full circuit and score. Manager from defensive team goes ballistic. He kept his kids in the dugout and had to be warned to come out and play.

2) 1 out, batter swings and misses, ball gets dropped by catcher and batter walks calmly back toward thirdbase dugout, head down. his coach is screaming for him to run. Batter gets to almost dugout entrance and "wakes up". He tears from there to first like a cheeta. Pitcher throws ball to first, overthroes and batter/runner gets 2nd. Manager says since he left the dirt surrounding the plate and entered the grass he was out. Fun times.

How about you, any fun with new rule in Little League this year?

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jun 26, 2012 10:44 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

#2 is true in OBR but not in LL.  I can understand the confusion there.

#1 has a livid coach who is trying tio decide who he should be mad at - an realizing it might be himself.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Jun 26, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

No significant problems with the U3K rule with leagues in my district.

However, given the option offered by LL Inc., many of our league boards opted not to use it during regular season play.. Majors.

They may come to regret it once into tournament play where its use is mandated.

One comment regard your #1. Over the years I have come to a conclusion--and that is: Managers/coaches who don't take the time to know the game rules are responsible for their team's loss.

Your #2. In LL----by Rule 6.09(b)---Quote:   "A batter forfeits his/her opportunity to advance to first base when he/she enters the dugout or other dead ball area." 

Rich Ives pointed out the difference re that "forfeit" situation, as between LL Inc., and OBR.

Frank!

May 30, 2007
    6. Jun 26, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

NELL:

"Can't find it"...

Page 79, 2012 rulebook---Rule 6.09(b)-----see NOTE:

Frank!

May 30, 2007
    7. Jun 26, 2012 1:55 PM (in response to NELL_blue)

NELL:

If I may "intrude" re your question to Rich.

I have the MLB rule on the subject.

It mirrors the LL rule in all aspects except one.

That being... no mention made of the subject batter forfeiting his opportunity to advance to 1st by entering the dugout OR other dead ball area----as the wording in the LL rulebook does.

MLB only mentions his right is forfeited by--Quote: ".........he actually reaches the dugout or dugout steps, he may not attempt to go to first base and shall be out."     "Entering other dead ball area" is absent.

It tells me there is a difference in that the subject batter in LL  forfeits his opportunity to advance to 1st by entering the dugout ..OR, "any other dead ball area."      quotes, caps, mine!

The MLB rule cites only reaching the dugout or dugout steps as prohibiting the batter's advance attempt to 1st.

Could it be, in MLB, "OTHER DEAD BALL AREA"  tacitly applies??

Frank! 

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Jun 26, 2012 7:42 PM (in response to Frank_B)

You don't have the latest rule book then Frank.

Rule 6.09(b) Comment: A batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught,

and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle

surrounding home plate.

May 30, 2007
    9. Jun 27, 2012 6:22 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    Re: Dropped Third Strike Incidences?

You are absolutely right Rich  .... Thanks for that updated version of MLB 6.09(b)

I should of known better not to to quote an older MLB rulebook.

So much for my "intrusion."

Your reply answers NELL's request for clarification of the MLB rule difference versus LL's rule.

Frank!

May 30, 2007
    11. Jun 27, 2012 10:52 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

NELL:

I hope you saw and used Rich's last post as to the MLB difference versus LL's rule.

I messed up mine, and he was correct in correcting me.... as I was using an older MLB rulebook; that MLB rule I cited having been revised.    Kudos to Rich for catching that error on my part.

Frank!

May 30, 2007
    12. Jun 29, 2012 8:31 AM (in response to Frank_B)
    Re: Dropped Third Strike Incidences?

Somewhat of an interesting MLB happening I witnessed (via TV) re the 3rd strike not caught in a Red Sox vs. Toronto game several days ago. I meant to bring forward here, but forgot to.

1st base was empty.

Toronto batter swung and missed for 3rd strike call.

Kelly Shoppach, Sox catcher, missed catching  the 3rd strike.

Toronto right handed batter turned 180 degrees and headed for 3rd base dugout.

Shoppach, now ball in hand, made a "feeble" attempt to tag the batter out...but missed the tag; and no throw was made to F3.

The play ended when the batter vacated the dirt area.....by rule, strike-out recorded.

Even in the pros "stuff" happens!

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...