Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3675 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 6:31 AM by mb923 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
bren92 Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2012 5:59 PM

Middle aged mom Newbie. Can I do this??

I am currently starting the C25K and am wondering if I will be able to do this! I  am a 41 year old mom who weighs 135 lbs and am way outta shape! Did my first day today and felt like I weighed 300 lbs and could barely jog for a minute! How sad is that! I have never been sporty at all and could never run. But I'm tired of feeling flabby and out of shape!  Is is possible for me to do this and accomplish anything? I get really winded when I run and feel like my legs are made of lead. I have no muscle tone in my legs, just flab! Yuck! Anyway I want to get in shape and feel get more energy! Anyone else out there feel my pain? Any encouragement is welcome!

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    1. Jun 27, 2012 1:15 AM (in response to bren92)

If I can do it you can.  I've been close to the end of C25K twice and had injuries stop me in my tracks.  I'm now on my 3rd time today (W2D3) I had my worst day yet.  But I know that there are bad days for everyone and you just have to push thru.  When I started the 1st time it took me at least 6 days to get thru week 1.  Added at least a day to every week of the program the 1st time around.  It was hard.  It was challanging.  It is rewarding.  It is totally worth it.  You can do it!    I wish I'd found this 10 years ago when I was younger, in better shape and much lighter.  But no way am not trying my best just because I'm not all those things.  Besides haven't you heard 40 is the new 20?  For heavens sake there are women older than you having babies.  Middle aged... I don't think so.  So run baby, run. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2. Jun 27, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to bren92)

The old cliche is accurate with me too, if I can do this........

You CAN do it if you're motivated.  Find something that is going to motivate you.  For me, a life altering event happened in June of 2010, then some more bad news within the family.  In addition, my 40th birthday wasn't that far away.  So everything was right for me to stay motivated.

If you're running to be healthy and/or losing weight, try to stick with it until you start seeing and feeling results...after that it's easy to stay motivated.  As a new runner back in the summer and fall of 2010 and the spring of 2011, when my legs started hurting I would tell myself that the pain is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.  While your legs/muscles are warming they're going to feel fatigued, mine still do.

Cheers and good luck.  If you stick with it, it'll be worth it.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4. Jun 27, 2012 9:38 AM (in response to bren92)

I didn't use C25K, not for any other reason other that I didn't know about it.  I used a 1/4 mile track at a local middle school as my barometer for improvement.  When I started, I exclusively ran at the track so any progress was recognizable.  I would walk to the school (about a 1/4 mile walk from home), run as many laps as I could, then walk home....I did that everyday for about a month and a half.  The first time I did that I couldn't even make it around one time.  From that, there was steady progress, even if it was an additional 1/4 lap (1/8 mile), it was forward progress.  Early in your running, you have to find success in those seemingly small improvements, don't overlook being able to run for an additional 30 seconds or a minute.  It's forward progress.

I remember the first time I was able to run three laps (3/4 mile) without stopping and being pretty damn proud of myself. 

Cheers.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    5. Jun 27, 2012 11:31 AM (in response to bren92)

I am trying to keep on an every other day schedule.  If I miss an extra day here and there I don't feel bad because I'm doing it at least 3 times a week.  You really need to take that day off between runs to let all our muscles and joints heal or you could easily end up with an injury.  It's fine to do other types of excercise on those days just not running.  I'm still trying get motivated and figure out what to do on the off days.  I have the Wii and some excercise videos to choose from,  But with temps topping 100 here it needs to be inside unless we are going to a pool.

I think it's awesome that your daughter runs with you.  My son is only 4 and he wants to run with me but I don't think it would be good for him to do the entire distance.  Plus I have to run in the road late at night right (heat) now so I'm having a hard time with feeling it's safe.  I jog on a country road and most nights 1 or 2 cars pass us (My husband follows in the van for safety) at the most.  Still it's so fun to watch him run with such joy and abandon, I wish we had sidewalks or a park I could run in that wasn't 12 miles away. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    6. Jun 27, 2012 2:52 PM (in response to bren92)

TYou can do it! One of my favorite motivating quotes is "I cant means I wont"!

Keep on running. No matter what!

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• PagerP Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 30, 2012
    7. Jun 30, 2012 5:59 PM (in response to bren92)

I just discovered this program through a friend's post on Facebook, and am in the same boat.  I'll be turning 48 this year, and was always active when I was younger, at least until my second child and work keeping me out of the gym as I approached 40.

I always liked the idea of running, but I too feel like a big 'ol lug when I run.  My butt wiggles back and forth like a Canada Goose, I strain my neck and always end up with shin splints after a few times.  I've had successes in the gym over the years, but lately have really put on some weight from sitting at a desk for too long.  I like the idea of being able to just "go for a run" so am going to give this a try. 

Thanks for putting yourself out there and sharing your fears--it has helped me realize I'm not alone in feeling this way.

• H3ath3rSw@n Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 1, 2012
    8. Jul 2, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to bren92)

I feel your pain!  I'll be 36 this year, have 4 kids and am carrying an extra 40 pounds from the last baby who is now 2.  I feel very slow and uncoordinated.  BUT I survived day 1 (on the treadmill due to weather) and I feel really proud of myself.  Since I'm not a running expert by any stetch of the imagination, my only advice is - make sure you have the right shoes!  Shoes made for running because they are lightweight.

Heather

Mom of 4

Goal: Lose 40 pounds of baby weight. Much harder in my mid-30's than my early 20's when my first was born.

• Medbill Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 30, 2012
    9. Jul 3, 2012 8:34 PM (in response to bren92)

We can do this!  I'm a 40 year old mom of two (19 and 14) and also extremely out of shape!  I had gastric bypass surgery almost 4 years ago and as a result of the rapid weightloss, malabsorption, and not taking in enough protein, my muscles are almost non existent! 

I started couch to 5k on June 18.  I'm doing the program every-other-day without fail!  Before I began, I went to a running store and was fit for proper running shoes. They had me run about a minute on a treadmill barefoot and showed me my stride in slow motion!  Based on what he saw and questions I answered, he picked out 2 pair of shoes for me. He put one on each foot and had me run about 25 yards down the sidewalk & tell him which shoe felt best. Then he put both of the shoes on and I ran again.  Then he picked out an OTC orthotic and put those in the shoes and had me run again. It was a very thorough process and I feel like having the proper shoes has made all the difference in the world.

I am running on a paved trail at a local park. I live on Oklahoma, so it is very hot and humid, but I do it anyway!  Drink lots of water, G2 for electrolytes, and sweat!!  On my "off days" I am doing a strength training video of Jillian Michaels.  I am determined to do this and to build some strength again! 

Also, one last thing, the guy at the running store said they sponsor a C25k program that is 12 weeks long (as opposed to my app which is 8 wks) and he suggested I repeat weeks 3, 4, 5, and 6 to stretch it out to 12 weeks to further reduce the chance of injury.  So, I am repeating the 3rd workout of each week, so each week will have 4 workouts, and will do all 3 of the 3 workouts for the weeks above each twice.  (confusing?). Lol

Anyway, this is probably way more info than you really wanted, but I just wanted to chime in and say WE CAN DO IT!!

Dot

• mcmegger Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    10. Jul 7, 2012 6:24 PM (in response to Medbill)

@Dot Thanks for sharing the expanded program. I like the idea of repeating the 3rd day of each week.

@bren92 how are you doing with your program?

• TexasPumpkin Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    11. Jul 7, 2012 7:09 PM (in response to bren92)

bren92, a year and a half ago at the age of 48, I started the C25k program.  When I started I weighed 168, suffered from asthma, and could barely make the one minute runs.  In the first week of June, a ran my first 5k without walking any of it.  No, I didn't set any speed records, it took me over 48 minutes to finish, but finish I did. 

Here we are one year later and I've now done a bunch of 5k's, a 10k, and completed the Warrior Dash which is a 5k with 12 military style obstacles.  I am now 50 and training for a half marathon that we will do in September.  So yes, you can do it.  Just make sure that you keep on the program and most important, don't cheap out on the shoes.  They will keep you feeling good and injury free.  Go to a running store and have the sales person find the shoe that's best for you.  Good Luck!

• Elizabeth12541 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    12. Jul 7, 2012 9:26 PM (in response to bren92)

I felt the same way when I started 6 weeks ago at age 51 - you can do this! What you will find is that your body is incredibly smart and adaptive. It will feel hard at first, but stick with the plan and you'll be amazed as you watch your body take the stress and then recover. Use the podcast available for free on iTunes to be sure you keep a steady cadence at an appropriate pace. It makes a huge difference!

• gunnermccaw Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 8, 2012
    13. Jul 9, 2012 7:19 PM (in response to bren92)

Well, I turned 61 in March and I'm giving it a try.  Be sure to read carefully about how to land on your heel first with each step and read about the running pace. apparently we shouldn't be running fast. If that is bad info feel free to correct that. I'm a total beginner but following that advice has helped the endurance part.

Just finished my 4th walk/jog and look forward for my next workout. BTW, I never exercise so hang in there.  I love the C5K app!

• TexasPumpkin Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    14. Jul 9, 2012 7:31 PM (in response to gunnermccaw)

@gunnermccaw, I don't believe you are supposed to hit with your heel first, or heel striking as it is called.  This is a good way to end up with Plantar Fasciitis, like I did before I learned how to run the proper way.  I was a heel striker, not any more.  You want to land mid foot and push off. 

You are correct about not running fast though.  Pace yourself and build speed slowly.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points