Skip navigation

7879 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 12:45 PM by jviers77 RSS
jviers77 Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2012 10:30 AM

Dumb (?) Question from a first-timer

I've signed up for my first sprint tri next month, and I had a thought...do I need some sort of ankle strap for my timing-chip? I'm used to tying it on my laces during races, but obviously I won't be wearing shoes in the swim. Any help would be welcome!! Any other advice on getting through my first would be great also!!

• socialtri Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2012
    1. Jun 23, 2012 12:50 PM (in response to jviers77)

Hi Jviers, I've never been to a triathlon where they have timing chips and haven't provided a strap as well. Good luck in the race

Online training diaries TriBlogs.com & RunBlogs.co.uk

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    2. Jun 25, 2012 2:21 PM (in response to socialtri)

I have yet to have a timing chip that wasn't an ankle strap of some kind. Some runnning events, however, have disposable chips embedded in your race bib or a tag that goes on shoe laces, in addition to traditional ankle straps that have to be recovered at the finish line.

Good luck on your first tri! There is lots of advie here and helpful respondents so don't be afraid to ask questions. Nothing is too dumb and we have all been new to the sport at one time or another. Good luck and have fun.

BT

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jun 26, 2012 8:19 PM (in response to jviers77)

You never know what condition the velcro on the ankle strap will be in, so I always bring a safety pin to pin it just in case.  Also, make sure you wear the ankle timing chip on your left ankle (so you don't risk getting it caught up in your bike chain).

• ACKMANN Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    4. Jun 27, 2012 5:40 AM (in response to Julie Ann Hackett)

I completed my first tri last Sunday.  Have done some duathlons last year.  Trained to get my wetsuit off quickly in transition.  Everything was going well in T1, until I tried to get my left leg out of the suit.  I kept catching my hands on the timing strap.  Almost fell over once.  Finally had to do the step on the suit thing.  My legs were well lubed with body glide, so it was just a strap issues.  Other leg went fine.

Kinda thought this was an interesting twist to the timing strap issue.  Thinking about getting one just to train with one.

• Ricky Bobbie Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    5. Jun 27, 2012 12:05 PM (in response to jviers77)

Agree, I've never been to a race where a timing strap wasn't provided. My advice however, is to invest in your own strap for a few reasons. Much like Julie pointed out, sometimes the condition of the strap provided isn't great or in my case, I had one that was so stiff and uncomfortable that by te end of the race (sprint) it had rubbed the skin off my ankle in a few areas...not life threatening by any means but noneless it was annoying. Now it's my "triathlon scar" lol.

I picked up a very comfortable strap at my local running/tri store for about ~8 bucks, I bring it to every race and use it when the straps provided aren't great, but some events use quality materials. If you get your own just remember to make sure they don't keep it at the end of the race. Good luck and have fun racing!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points