Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

46345 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Previous Next
  • mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Jun 26, 2012 7:42 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Great job Kristi!  We plan on doing W4D3 this afternoon.  The weather is perfect.  I'm actually looking forward to it. 

• StephJourneyto5k Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 19, 2012
    106. Jun 26, 2012 9:38 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

So happy for this thread. I love getting everyones post in my email keeps me on track!! Just completed W3D1 and it was great! The 3mins weren't bad at all! I definately surprised myself! Although I bought new running sneakers and they were rubbing my heels

• ss3dogs Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 26, 2012
    107. Jun 26, 2012 10:01 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I do W3D2 tonight.  I was slacking big time (slow jog) because I was worried about the 3 minute jog.  Next thing I knew I checked my watch and the 3 minutes was almost over and I was still trotting along.

Been running with 2 of the muttlies.  The problem I have is they want to set the pace, which is way too fast.

Before I started the progame I was walking the dogs about 2 miles most evenings, so it not a cold start for me.

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    108. Jun 26, 2012 3:23 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W4D2 completed this morning - got up early to run before work, would really rather have had another half hour in bed, but glad now that I made the effort.  And during the final warm down I found a stray horse that had escaped from the livery stables next door - so was a good neighbour as well.

Didn't walk through any of the running sections, I'm amazed at how far I've come in just four weeks.

• mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    109. Jun 27, 2012 6:49 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Finished W4D3 last night.  So proud of my daughter for keeping up with it.  But looking at next week's schedule is making me very nervous.  Good job to you all!

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    110. Jun 27, 2012 7:11 AM (in response to mb923)
    June C25K Starters

mb923 you ladies are doing awesome!  keep up the good effort!  Next week will be tough, but I have every confidence that you ladies can do it!

Well done to all the others completing their runs!  Its amazing what we all can do when we set our minds to it!

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• mcmegger Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    111. Jun 27, 2012 10:35 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I just finished W2 D1. I started with my husband but he's dropped out so I am glad to have found this forum. I am a teacher/mom too and definitely know about always putting myself second. The thing I love about this program so far is that it only takes 30 minutes and I can do it anytime. I also do a hydrofit class 2 nights a week to build up my overall core strength.

• KristiRPhTX Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    112. Jun 28, 2012 8:29 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Got up early and did W4D2 this morning.  I ran at 6:30 and it was already 78 degrees with 92% humidity!  This was the hardest day for me so far.  I was drenched before I even finished the 5 minute warm up! And the final 5 minute run was painful, but I did it.  I am so proud of myself for pushing through even though I felt miserable and wanted to quit the entire time.  I just kept thinking of my 2 little boys at home.  I knew they would be waiting for me when I was done and I didn't want to have to tell them that "mommy couldn't do it this morning."  They get so excited to see me running again and I couldn't disappoint them.  I really hope this heat wave breaks soon!!!

Kristi

• Tab Wolowicz Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 11, 2010
    113. Jun 28, 2012 10:54 AM (in response to KristiRPhTX)
    June C25K Starters

The hot weather is what I am struggling with. Any breathing suggestions?

• GeoWolf Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    114. Jun 28, 2012 11:48 PM (in response to Tab Wolowicz)
    June C25K Starters

"The hot weather is what I am struggling with. Any breathing suggestions?"

Keep doing it! ROFL

When it gets hot I focus on my breathing a lot. I have to keep blowing my nose sometimes too, because in the heat it has this annoying habit of running, which messes with my breathing. I'd love sometime to have someone access my breathing and form and make suggestions but for now I'm just stumbling along doing the best I can.

Today the operative word was stumbling.  W3D1 tried to kick my butt.  I was sure several times that it was over and I wasn’t going to be able to finish it.  Especially that last 3 minute jog.  When I looked at it, I shook my head at Joe and told him “I can’t do this.”  I could have sworn I’d already done 2 of those 3 minute jogs and my legs were cramping so bad.  I don’t know how I kept my feet moving, but I’m pretty sure I saw a couple of babies crawl past me.  What do you mean you think I was hallucinating?  OK so maybe I was just thinking they could do that.  When the final walk came on I wanted to give up and stop every step of the way.  Then about ½ thru my cool down walk my phone lost the connection and not only was my music gone, so was the C25K app and my workout.  I had no idea the app relied on a connection.  Not sure where I ended up time wise, distance wise or pace wise.  But I was stumbling from the pain and numb feet by the time I reached my driveway.  I wasn’t sure my legs weren’t going to give out before I got inside.  My walking speed is a joke when I start.  By the end it’s a bad punch line.  But I did all the walks and jogs and amazed myself with the final jog that I was sure I couldn’t do, even though I’m not technically sure that I was making any forward motion for some of it.  Although I must have been because I’d focus on that fence post, then that mailbox and that crack in the road, that I am going to make it to before I give up or pass out.   Than when I’m sure I can’t go anymore; I look at my phone and see there’s only 9 seconds left and I’ll be danged if I’m going to stop now even if I have to finish on my knees.  Thank God that was my last jog, because I can’t imagine I had another one in me.  I don’t think I made it more than 3/8 of a mile between the 8 minutes for the last walk and the cool down.  But I did it.  I kept my feet moving until the end.

Can anyone who is going for time give me an idea of your overall distance for week 3?  Warm up, cool down and all?  I’d like to see how slow I really am.  I want to say my total distance was at least 1.83 miles based upon the last mileage I saw around the time I turned around.  Feels great right now to know that I pushed thru wanting to give up several times and did it. 

Great work everyone.  I'm another one who feels more motivated by all the responces. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• GeoWolf Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    115. Jun 28, 2012 11:55 PM (in response to KristiRPhTX)
    June C25K Starters

Kristi I considered jogging in the morning but the humidity is a killer that time of the day.  It was 99% at dawn.  I'd rather deal with the extra 5 degrees and the lower humidity at night.     Everyone is doing awesome.  We should all be proud of ourselves.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• lauramom0204 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    116. Jun 29, 2012 9:42 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Hi!  First time posting.  I'm Laura.  Just did W4D2 this morning in the heat.  I agree with the others who posted today.  Definitely harder in the humidity.  Going really early seems to be the only way I can do it.  Had a to cheat a little on my 5 min. runs today .  Took maybe 30 sec to walk in the middle.  I won't move to the next week until I can run all the runs though, so I think I might be in W4 for a second week.  That's ok, I keep going.  That's the biggest change for this couch potato.  I'm sticking with it....loving it....and excited to go out each time! 

Great thread here!  So great to have others to check in with.

• BAKERFAB4T Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    117. Jun 29, 2012 11:07 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Had my run on the treadmil yesterday and was a little Tuesday I had just tracked a mile at 10.09 running on an outdoor track and yesterday on the treadmil it was right at 14 min for a mile. Now, it seemed as I was going quite a bit faster so Im not quite sure whats going on. If my time/distance was off Tue or Thur. Something doesnt seem right. Anyway, I got it in with some situps too

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    118. Jun 30, 2012 1:16 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W4D3 now completed, at last.  Couldn't do D3 run earlier in week as I'd planned because of work stuff, so wound up having to take 3 rest days instead of 1 - but I've been tracking my runs with an app called Endomondo (it's free, always love gettng free stuff ) and it says I've knocked 30 seconds off my average 1k pace since W4D3.  So am a happy bunny this morning.

But I have a question I'd like to throw out there, I tend to get some tightness in my calf muscles when I run, and so I've been doing calf stretches every day, which have helped immensely.  But now I'm starting to get tightness in the back of my thighs, not my butt, but just below.  Anyone (a) know any good stretches for this muscle as I think stretching will help or (b) know what this muscle is called so I can search for stretches?

• mcmegger Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    119. Jun 30, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Just finished W2D2. I put a playlist together with songs that had bpm compatible with a 10min mile and it really helped to keep me at a steady pace (I have a tendency to set too quick of a pace because I was a sprinter in middle school). I'm actually looking forward to the longer runs so I can run to a whole song instead of stopping 90seconds into it.

TisforTiara - I do these stretches http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml after running and # 5 seems to hit the spot you are talking about.

Thanks all for helping me stay motivated.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...