Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1045 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2012 3:19 PM by lifl2003 RSS
caraway79 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 21, 2012 12:51 PM

Running after short illness

Hello,

I began the C25K last week but fell ill with a sinus and throat infection just before my third run  .  It's now a week since I've run, so I will start the program again.  My question is when do I start running again?  I'm only just feeling better this evening, but still lacking sleep as I have two small kids.  I've been eating small meals for two days and before that I wasn't eating so have lost some weight.  I'd like to jump back asap, but don't want to overdo it and wind up ill again or put off running.  Any advice?

Thx

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jun 21, 2012 1:44 PM (in response to caraway79)

Hi caraway,

I would get out and start running again as soon as you feel comfortable, even if it is shorter distances or a varied route.  Of course, it is important to follow your doctor's advice and take note of any of the medications (and potential side-effects) that you may be taking.  Maybe start out again walking with some slow jogging for certain areas to see how that goes.  The best rule is to listen to your body and take things slow, but do not be discouraged. 

In general, minor infections usually do not prohibit moderate exercise, but again, it depends on your individual circumstance.  Pay closer attention to hydration because, although it is always important, it is more critical when your immune system is compromised, you are eating less, or taking certain pills that influence the absportion of nutrients and the balance of sodium. 

Again, walking or a slow pace should be fine, and should increase your energy levels.  (As long as your respiratory functions are not overly distressed, then getting back on track as soon as possible whould be a good idea.)

Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy miles!

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    2. Jun 27, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to caraway79)

I can so relate to you as I have chronic sinusitis.  I think before any beig race I seem to start feelig the pressure and pain build up.  I myself usually try to run thorugh them but listen to your body. It will tell you whats good and not. Also listen to your doctor.  Be sure to tell him you are a runner (even of you are a new runner). Like jasco pointed out some medication including antibiotics such as Levaquin (commonly prescribed for sinus infection) can cause achilles tendon weakness and vulnerability.  Whne sick I ask my dr whne he thinks I shoulf resume running.  Feel better and dont quit!

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points