Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1931 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2012 11:47 AM by MatsHolm4224
jobrien929 Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2012 4:49 PM

Android running app

Hi all,

Just getting back into running after about a year and a half off luxuriating in laziness.  I have been using Cardiotrainer for quite some time (before succumbing to laziness) and I'm sure there must be something better out there by now.  Not that Cardiotrainer has ever done me wrong. I'd just like a few more bells and whistles now, mostly in the area of data handling. I'd like to see my best all time mile time, or 5k time, or the like.  A bit more in the area of data visualization - graphs of performance over time and such.  I had hoped that Cardiotrainer would have implemented these things by now but it doesn't seem to be the case.  Seems a shame to let go of my old running data now but, really, what am I going to do with it. If I'm starting over again anyway it hardly seems relevant.

Months ago, I bought Endomondo Pro.  It was on special on the Android market for a dime.  For 10 cents how wrong could I go?  After spending the day playing with it, it looked pretty good until I discovered that it only gives voice updates on pace and distance and the like once every mile.  This is a deal breaker for me.  I need info!  To be perfectly honest, I'm bored as hell while I'm running.  If I could get a heads up display to give me every conceivable running stat in real time I'd take it just to be able to do the mental math instead of listening to the little voice in my head say "left right left right" over and over again.  On top of that, I'm doing the C25K to get back in the swing of things.  I've only just finished week 5 day 2.  My runs are only 2 miles long anyway.  One update mid run and one just before I finish would make me nuts.

A long time ago I used Nike+.  I loved the data visualization I got with that.  I see they just came out with an Android app but the reviews seem less than stellar, eapecially in the area of battery life.

So maybe I'm being too picky.  I'm looking for something with voice updates like Cardiotrainer, and data handling like Endomondo or Nike+ that won't completely suck up my battery. Oh, and the ability to keep track of how many miles I have on my current running shoes wouldn't hurt, either.  I've caused myself serious problems in the past by losing track of that particular stat.

Is that asking too much?

• KBlair Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 29, 2007
    1. Jun 29, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to jobrien929)
    Re: Android running app

I've tried a bunch of various apps and their partner web sites and speaking personal preference of all the ones I've tried, Runtastic is by far my favorite. The close second to that one is RunMeter. After the quality of those two, they all start to seem the same.

Runtastic will speak your stats to you based on either a time or distance setting YOU choose. You also get to choose exactly what stats it speaks to you. Runtastic will allow you to take pictures and then will sync those pictures to the time/location you took them during your run. Runtastic will provide live tracking if you desire, meaning people can watch your route and stats as you run/cycle. The Runtastic site has a good social aspect to it and both the site and the app are very good as making backups of your data, allowing you to export or import as necessary, etc.

I'd classify myself as a beginning runner, but I've tried a dozen fitness tracking sites and nearly as many apps and Runtastic is what I found I liked the best (so much so I paid for the Gold membership - but it's quite useful w/o doing so).

Other alternatives.. RunMeter, MapMyRun, RunKeeper (sorry, not a fan)..

And if you're looking for fun on your run - check out ZombiesRun.

Edit: After reading your post again, your indication of being bored while running - I second my own recommendation that you check out ZombiesRun. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's different and adds variety at least.

• bimapringgo Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    2. Jul 17, 2012 8:25 PM (in response to jobrien929)
    Android running app

I use Adidas micoach free application on my android smartphone. It's the first running app I used and I haven't found a reason to switch to another app.

And yes, it allows you to track the milage of your shoes.

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3. Aug 14, 2012 12:21 PM (in response to bimapringgo)
    Android running app

I've been using Runkeeper for about a year and I like it.  I used MapMyRun prior as well as CardioTrainer and I like Runkeeper the best.  I'm not sure it will give you everything you want but you can customize your audio cues to distances or time, or both.  I have mine setup to give me my run time, average pace and distance every half mile.  It's not so frequent that it's annoying, but frequent enough that I can catch myself if I'm slacking off.  For city running it has a feature that if it detects you not moving for a certain amount of time it pauses your work out (waiting at a stop light to cross the street).  It doesn't have anything native that would allow you to track the miles on your shoes, but I think it would be pretty easy to make a note of that date and pull your distance from runkeeper.com to figure it out.  Good luck to you in your search.

• MatsHolm4224 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    4. Aug 31, 2012 11:47 AM (in response to KBlair)
    Android running app

First, RunMeter is an iPhone only app...

I also use to use CardioTrainer, but went looking for something with more bells and whistles and after testing pretty much every running app Android has to offer I chose RunKeeper.

I've been using it for a year now and it works great. Audio cues that can come on as often as every 1 minute, or 0.25 miles. The voice is much better than the built-in that some other apps use, easy to hear even in my pocket.

Everything is uploaded to the website, runkeeper.com, where you can see your mile splits, graphs of speed, elevation and pace. You can see each workout and how much you ran every week or month.

All this in the free version!

Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points