Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20547 Views 109 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 2:17 PM by KHT2012 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • Ivana J Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 26, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Jun 26, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi everyone, I'm new here! I started running on 21 May and I just finished W5D3 yesterday. I was so proud of myself! I don't think I've ever run 20 minutes straight in my 30-year-long life before! AND I didn't even feel like dying. Actually, what I thought would last like an eternity (20 mins!) seemed over much sooner than expected.

BUT, later on I went online to check my mileage (as I measure my runs in time rather than meters) and realised that I am probably running a bit too slow. The instruction was 20 minutes or 3.2 km, and I only got in 2.8km. I am wondering what to do about it. Should I a) try to increase my pace so that I manage to run the suggested distances in the suggested times? or b) Ignore the time, and measure my runs in distances instead (i.e. taking more than 20 mins to complete the required distance if necessary)?

What do you think?

• ikkinikki607 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    91. Jun 26, 2012 5:26 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Finished W5D1 today.  Breezed through the first 2 runs and the last on seemed to take forever.  I know it's a mental block because I could fully recover from my run portion in less than a minute.  Getting anxious about days 2 and 3 this week.  Anybody that's been there have any hints or tips?!?

• Samfish Rookie 3 posts since
    May 23, 2012
    92. Jun 26, 2012 6:13 PM (in response to ikkinikki607)
    C25K - Started in May

The runs are not as bad as we make them out to be. That said I had already told myself that I wouldn't overextend myself and I would repeat days 1 and 2 if I felt it necessary prior to doing day 3. I made it through day3 but I'm repeating all of week 5 prior to moving onto week 6.

Just know that you can get through it, and if you're not feeling confidant give yourself the okay to repeat days or weeks, the only person you're doing this for is yourself.

Jun 17, 2012
    93. Jun 26, 2012 7:12 PM (in response to Samfish)
    C25K - Started in May

Thanks Samfish, honestly I look at how far I have come in just 5 weeks and its amazing. I just tell myself I am halfway through and I need to keep going! These boards are so inspirational too! It's good to know I am not alone in this!

• Ivana J Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 26, 2012
    94. Jun 27, 2012 12:30 AM (in response to ikkinikki607)
    C25K - Started in May

I actually found days 2 and 3 easier than day 1, as unbelievable as that sounds! Don't get discouraged, you can do it!

• aland711 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 19, 2012
    95. Jun 27, 2012 7:51 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

I finally went out and finished W2D3 after resting my knee for over 2 weeks. It felt so good!! Im going to repeat it again tonight just to make sure im ready to move on to week 3. It kills me that I could be starting week 5 this week but I trying to look past that. I wanted to make sure it was completely healed before I started again.

I concentrated on my footing like you guys were talking about the other day. It seemed to help alot.

Congratulations to everyone for keeping up the great work!!

• goingfitat44 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 18, 2012
    96. Jun 27, 2012 10:20 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

W7D2 done!

I thought I would not be able to finish today's 25-minute run as I felt like I was coming down with a cold. But I didn't want to miss my run so I went ahead with it and I did it!

It has been three times now that I've been jogging for 25 minutes straight, but even at this point, I continue to have doubts at the beginning of the run whether I would actually be able to do it. I guess these self doubts are just normal for all of us who have not been running this long since probably when we were kids.

My runs are still time-based and I'm still quite slow, but I'm not doing this right now for speed. The fact that I am now able to jog continuously for 25 minutes makes me really proud of myself.

Keep it up, everyone! You will all be running for 25 minutes as I do sooner than you think, and eventually, we will all be running regularly for 30 minutes straight.

Jun 17, 2012
    97. Jun 28, 2012 6:13 PM (in response to ikkinikki607)
    C25K - Started in May

Finished W5D2 tonight.  It was hotter than a mother out tonight when I ran but I finished!  8 minutes to 20 minutes seems like such a jump in time.  Wish me luck!!

• Pandarius Rookie 5 posts since
    May 17, 2012
    98. Jun 28, 2012 7:56 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

This morning I got up early to run, since it was going to be hot today. I've been running by time, but I'm running really slowly, so at this pace, I won't be finishing 5k if I run for 30 minutes like it says to do on the last week. So I've decided to convert to distance. I ran up to W6D2 by time, but this morning I went back and did W5D3 by distance. I was able to run the two miles in 26 minutes 56 seconds. When I was doing it by time, I ran 1.5 miles in the 20 minutes. So, today was my longest run so far. I really didn't think I would make it, but then I kept inching along, and I thought "well what the hell, it's not going to get any worse." And so with a completely numb mind and a burning/aching body, I finally made it to the 2 mile marker. When I started walking, I felt like ****. When I got home, I just laid on the couch and carefully sipped vitamin water, my brain too dead to even think. This was a little different than when I did W5D3 by time. When I did it by time, I was ecstatic when I finished running, completely doped up on runners high, but for the next two days I would barely walk. This morning, I felt like crap immediately after running, but I was up and walking about an hour after. I guess I'm improving? It may be the time of day. I don't usually run in the mornings. I usually go in the evenings, after it's cooled down a bit. Maybe my body reacts differently if I run at different times? I guess I'll try running in the morning some more.

Anyway, I'm super proud of myself, and of all of you guys. Hearing you guys accomplish your goals, worry about the next week, and relate your experiences of the past week gives me an unbelievable amount of encouragement. I really don't think I would have gone this far if I didn't have email updates coming in from this forum every day.

LOVEE~~ <3

Also, do you guys have any music that you listen to that you think is particularly encouraging?

I really like listening to "My Body", by Young the Giant. Specifically, because the lyrics go "My body tells me no, but I won't quit, 'cause I want more, 'cause I want more". I wan't more out of myself, so I won't quit running. RAWR.

Good luck running, guys!

Jun 18, 2012
    99. Jun 29, 2012 10:06 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

I'm off to W8! Just finished W7D3 and I struggled a bit in completing it because my left foot started to hurt midway through my run. My running form is probably not good as I seem to be putting more weight on my left foot, instead of distributing it evenly between my left and right foot. Have any of you guys experienced the same thing? Anyway, I managed to persevere and ran through the pain and was glad to complete my fourth straight 25-minute run.

Ikkinikki, you can definitely tackle W5D3. Just take it slow and don't tire yourself during the first 10 minutes of your next run. I had the same fears myself at that stage, but just trust the program and, more importantly, yourself. You are ready for this and you will definitely be able to do it.

• jobrien929 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    100. Jun 29, 2012 5:18 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Hi all,

Just found this thread.  I started C25K on May 29 but I got 2 runs in while it was still May so I figure I qualify.  Just finished w5d2 last night.  Definitely not looking forward to the 20 min run in 95+ heat tomorrow.  On the other hand, coming back all sweaty always looks impressive to my wife so there's some good incentive right there!

I'm using Cardiotrainer to track my runs. I'd be curious to know what the rest of you are using...

Jun 17, 2012
    101. Jul 3, 2012 3:45 PM (in response to goingfitat44)
    C25K - Started in May

You were right goingfitat44!  I did it.  I started the app on my phone for w5d2 and ran through the walking parts.  I ran the whole time!  It was so much easier than I thought it would be.  Up until this point, I have not used earbuds for music but I did today.  It helped so much.  I wasn't constantly worrying about the time and my breathing.  I just went with it.  I never thought in my whole life that I would start to consider myself a runner but I am getting there!!  Thanks for all the encouragement from all you guys!!

• LePorcBarbu Rookie 4 posts since
    May 30, 2012
    102. Jul 6, 2012 6:10 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

So July 4, I ran my first 5K! It took the place of my W9D2, and even though I had the start of a head cold, it was awesome! I finished in 29 minutes even. The course was mostly on a fairly flat greenway, but there was a pretty good hill just before the halfway turn-around point. Since it was hard to judge my normal pace, I just started somewhere in the back half of the pack and kept pace with whoever was right in front of me until it seemed like they were slowing down, then I'd pass them. I had such a great time. If I can do it, I know all of you can. Just keep up the positive thoughts!

Has anyone considered what to do after this is over? I'm debating on starting over and running/jogging instead of running/walking or going ahead with the 10K training. I do want to get at least 3 or 4 more 5K's before even thinking about a 10K, but I know that's going to be a goal in the future.

Good luck to everyone on these last weeks and 5K's!

C25K started 7 May 2012

Using C25K Couch to 5K by RunDouble for Android.

I just want to be able to outrun the zombies.

Firecracker 5K 07/04/2012 - 29:00

• gatorgirl28 Amateur 13 posts since
    May 5, 2012
    103. Jul 6, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Sorry for not posting for a bit, been concentrating on my running and also been spending time with my Family- it's Summer break for me and taking advantage of my time before school starts in the Fall. I've been repeating week 5 day 2 for the past 4 days- I think I might do the 20 minute run today and see if I can muster this day out. I believe I can, and if I take my time and watch my pace as well as my breathing/stridework, then I should be fine. I'm actually excited to be do the 20 minute run later today- it'll be a good challenge and something that will definitely test me both physically and mentally.

Glad to hear about all of your accomplishments. Hearing your stories is a great motivator to me and I get more and more inspired when I hear about your victories. Keep up the great work everyone!

Jun 18, 2012
    104. Jul 6, 2012 10:10 PM (in response to maelynn c)
    C25K - Started in May

Go for it, gatorgirl! As Ikkinikki and many others on this thread have shown, you can and you will be able to do it. Very soon, you'll be thinking about the 25-, 28- and 30-minute runs, and you will be able to handle these as well. Trust me. I've just finished W8 and I'm off to W9! Even at this stage, I often continue to have doubts whether I would actually be able to finish each run, and I often felt like giving up after the first 10 minutes, but I just kept putting one step in front of another, and soon enough, my run was over.

Keep pushing, everyone! We can all do it!

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...