Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

659120 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 ... 327 Previous Next
  • aluecker Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,315. Jul 1, 2012 9:02 PM (in response to linuscatch)
    My last run was...how was yours?

today i ran my first half marathon.  it was the copper mountain half marathon.  it should have had the word TRAIL in there because the first 6ish miles are all trails.  all i can say is that i REALLY had no idea what kind of a course this was going to be.

it was not very clear (to me as a new runner) that this was a trail run.  it started out in copper mountain resort for about .15 miles and then it was up a gravel/dirt road where we exited to the single track trail.

seriously by mile 2 i knew i was in trouble.

rocks, tree limbs, creeks, you name it.  i have NEVER run a trail run before so this was eye opening.

at mile 5.5 or so, we were back to pavement, but it was all uphill from there to mile 10.5.  i was so fatigued at that point that even that though my goal was just to focus on getting to that downhill, i could barely run the downhill.

long story short, i finished in 2:41:34.  certainly not a half time to be excited about, but i am just so proud that i finished.

i have a few other halfs in mind over the next few months and i hope that i can really imrpove this time when i'm running on road.

for those of you who trail run, kudos to you.  it was HARD.  my feet are torn up and my toenails are, well, they've been prettier and one is pretty much a goner. 

thanks for keeping me motivated everyone.  i LOVE reading everyone's daily training updates!

4/28/12 - Get in Gear 10k Minneapolis - 59:50

5/12/12 - Highline Canal 10k - 58:44

6/10/12 - Garden of the Gods 10 miler - 1:40:41

7/1/12 - Copper Mountain (TRAIL) Half Marathon (my first!) - 2:41:34 (i survived!)

8/11/12 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - TBD

9/22/12 - Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

10/21/12 - St. Louis Rock & Roll Half Marathon

12/2/12 - Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,316. Jul 1, 2012 10:31 PM (in response to justrundan)

Dan I think you did great especially in this heat. whoo who on the longest run to date. You can never run your long run to slow REALLY. If I could make a suggestion it would be not to run over 4-5 miles any time this week. Then next week do your normal midweek runs a little faster than normal. Then on your long run go for 12 miles at either a 1/1 ratio or 30/30. it will feel odd at first but it will help keep your HR in check along with increasing your endurance. I'm confident either ratio will work for you according to your posted race results. A 3/1 ran hard = about a 10 min mile. A 2/1 = about a 12min mile. Try running your long runs to equal about 2 minutes slower than your race pace. curious to see how much your HR drops as you break another distance barrier. I'm backing off mileage this week. but next weeks long run is 16 miles. Good luck.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    3,318. Jul 2, 2012 6:14 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA: You are a MACHINE!  wow to the mileage, and your dedication and hard work!

Coyote: Training was almost the death of me, but it was ok.  Love seeing deer on my runs...however, most aren't chasing chickens...just sayin' lol

Friday I snuck in a very hot 2 mile run, wish I would have made it 3 miles, but it was 93 degrees and the combo of humidity and no shade on my route, and 2 moderate hills really just sucked the life out of me!  Yesterday I had plans to do 3 miles, was going to wait until the sun started to set.  However, there was a rather horrific fire in my neighboring city (Oconomowoc) and I was standby ambo for 7 hours!  Very sad day, 2 civilian deaths 9 firefighters injured.  All of the firefighters but one were treated and released, one was still receiving hyperbaric treatment last I heard.  to make matters worse, while that structure fire was going on, and field on the other side of the city caught fire, again the station I volunteer on was dispatched for grass rig and engine to go direct to the scene.  So I didnt get my run in, and I have school tonight so I wont be able to go for one tonight either no bueno!  The whole continuing education stuff is starting to get old!  no end in sight either!

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    3,319. Jul 2, 2012 6:50 AM (in response to EMTTrix)

Wrapped up week 4 of marathon training on Saturday with a total of 12 miles. Got up at 5AM to beat the heat and do 9 miles with my running club, then headed to a 5k for my addt'l 3.1. The training is going well. I'll be running my 6th Peachtree Road Race on Wed, then heading to NYC where I'm hoping to finally get to run in Central Park. Happy 4th, everyone!

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,320. Jul 2, 2012 6:57 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

aluecker - Welcome to the dirt! My first half was 2:13, on the road. 2:41 on trails at 9700 feet is very respectable. Be proud of that time! I'm doing Keystone in July, on a similar course. Hoping for a time right around 2:30 or a little less.

linuscatch - Way to tackle the heat, buddy.

1.25 mile warm up, 2x1.5 intervals at 8:10 pace w/ 3 minure recovery jog, 1.25 mile cooldown.

Run fearless and free!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,321. Jul 2, 2012 7:11 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

aluecker: Grats on your HM!  Agree with coyote that is pretty good time for that course at that altitude.  You will be pleasantly surprised when you do one on flat ground in Denver or better yet at sea level.

I am doing the RNR HM in September in Denver.  Missed last year but hear it is a blast.

Take it easy this week and rest up...sounds like you took a pounding!  Bet it feels good now to know it's done.

Have a good week, all, and Happy 4th!

Be fearless in all that you do!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,322. Jul 2, 2012 7:18 AM (in response to linuscatch)

EMTtrix: Bummer about missing your runs.  Hope all the firefighters are OK.  Thanks for what all of you are doing, especially this year with all the fire danger around the country.

Stay safe, and hope you can get back to running this week.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,323. Jul 2, 2012 7:20 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 32 min.  Up and down Ecco Mt.

NRDgirl: I heard Peach Tree was wild. I have never run in a race that big. Good luck.

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    3,324. Jul 2, 2012 8:05 AM (in response to Debm2011)

hey all; catching up, sorry for the lag.

jmsab23 - thanks for the honesty comment.   20 400s? dang! hardcore

EMTTrix - even when you can't squeeze in time for a run, seems your work also gives you a solid workout! Your "Practical" at over 100 degrees sounds intense!

MelodyLea - ya gotta love those "high energy, strong and fast" feeling days...cuz not everyday is like that. My lhasa (name: sherbert) hasn't asked me for another run since that first one.

snerb - Metallica's S&M; awesome.

NHLA - huge bear and 2 cubs?  at that point i'd also be wishing to see johnny depp!  And that's some serious heat, ouch. And then hitting 16 miles in 1hr58"? holy that is awesome!

Off-road/trail running definitely gets a "like" from me!

ozziemo - yeah, lots of little critters in that vacation of yours...Did you spot snow white?

debm2011 - thanks! Nice hours at work and awesome run week. I like my Fuel Belt, small 10oz with snug strap, and small pouch/pack. I also feel the honey stingers are too sticky. I enjoy the Clif Shot Bloks.

jdcarnes - congrats on hitting the huge 8 miles; jumping from your max of 2 or 3 before, that is awesome, and no walking. nice.

Ive had an up and down last several days. I put in some runs, but i also started Insanity. My thurs plan of running and insanity didnt happen.....until saturday. I ran my 5miles trail course (800'climb) and beat my PR by 30seconds! woot woot! Then i got home by 620am and knocked out an Insanity DVD; ouch, felt great thoughq!....THEN my bro in law called, he bought a house and needed help Demo-ing.  After 8hrs of wielding a hammer and knocking down drywall...i'm surprised i can type today. My arms, hands and shoulders and legs from standing all day are toast! The family and I did a short jog yesterday about 1.5miles, my hammies were not liking it yet...rested today.... Should be back to normal running tomorrow...and Insanity!

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,325. Jul 2, 2012 12:04 PM (in response to AlfNiner)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Debm2011 I just got an Amphipod water bottle which I adore! It's slim and straps onto my hand so I don't have to think about holding it. There is also a little zip pocket for gels. I've been trying out all the Hammer products. Wonderful customer support and nice products. I tried Heed yesterday which I really liked a lot. The Gels are a slightly pasty texture, but I enjoyed it.

runbrenrun Hi, good to hear from you. I hear you on how important running can become for centering oneself!

NHLA You continue to amaze me! 16 (fast) mile in blazing heat...amazing.

Abbyspapaw Welcome to a GREAT group!

Old Coyote Smart man, re: the "Jungle Juice"

runslowdan Great run and good job wresting with the heat. I know what you mean about working up a sweat! The article was great, thanks!

Swebb0310 Great job with your running AND helping out the children. **High Fives**

linuscatch Thank you, and also for the training response. I've come up with kind of a hybrid training plan for my 1/2. My main goal is to finish feeling strong AND not injure myself while building up the miles. That's why I haven't been posting any times the last few weeks. I'm just creeping along slowly, listening very carefully to my body. I injured a tendon in my foot the last time I cranked up my miles (I think the minimus shoes contributed as well), so I'm being super, super careful!

BIG tears are rolling down my face right now, reading about Avery. I will think of her with every butterfly I see. ((Hugs))

Run-Live Fearless!

aluecker HUGE CONGRATS on your first half! Yay for you and a trail no less. Whoot whoot!

EMTTrix You, my dear are my hero! Wow, thanks for doing what you do. *High Fives* to an awesome gal. Hang in there on your tough schedule.

NRDgirl Enjoy the Big Apple!

AlfNiner Sounds like you are kicking some behind with all that insanity workout/demolition/running!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3,326. Jul 2, 2012 2:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Aluecker - congratulations on your half, I think I would have chickened out if I discovered it was a trail run without having done any trail training!  Then again I'm not the most graceful and would probably end up with a turned ankle trying to go over tree roots & rocks.

EMTTrix - I echo MelodyLea - thank you for all you do!

Debm - I've also been trying to figure out the best way to carry water along on my runs.  I had purchased a belt with 4 6 oz bottles but it bounces around and worse the bottles LEAKED so I had drip marks down my running shorts   I'm looking at a hand-held insulated bottle now.. just debating on if I want to lay down the $$ or try rigging something up on my own.

MelodyLea - you know I'm with you on "creeping along slowly" while building up the miles.  So far, so good for both of us!

Week 5 of the Training Plan is in the books!  I did my 6 mile long run this weekend, first at that distance since my injury at the end of January.  It feels good to be getting back into the 10k distance range.  Another couple of weeks and I'll be back up to the longest distance I managed to achieve before injury.  Next weekend's run is supposed to be a 5k race, but the place we're going to holds a 10k as part of their 4th of July festivities.  I may have to alter my plan slightly...

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    3,327. Jul 2, 2012 2:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Holy crow Alfniner... You are a machine.

I'm right there with you Melody... Slow and steady it is.

Did 2.77 miles in 40 minutes this morning. 3min run/2 min walk intervals.target heart rate at 70%. Did fairly well on the 2nd and third intervalhitting my target then I got alittle ahead of myself after the turn around. Didn't realize until my hrm started yelling at me to "go slower" that I was breathing heavy and hunching my shoulders on the last interval.

Got reassigned at work and now have a schedule with a much later start which helps alot as my training runs get longer.if I'm already planning my next run before I step our of the shower from the last one, does that qualify as addiction?

Oh ! And I got my Appalachian Trail Thru-hikers companion in the mail today. I'm so excited! That's next year's goal. Gotta finish my HM first thoug.

Keep pushing!

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• runbrenrun Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 20, 2011
    3,328. Jul 2, 2012 3:04 PM (in response to CKLindsay)

My run yesterday was great to start. I killed the first 5 km but after that the humidity got to me and slowed me down a lot. I decide against packing water, I regretted it! I have a a belt and the bottle doesn't leak but it drives me crazy the way it bounces lol. It was still enjoyable but today my thighs are still sore, perhaps a short run tonight will help. Everyone here is such an inspiration! Keep up the great runs and posts!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,329. Jul 2, 2012 6:45 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Tony-appreciate your suggestions greatly.  I think I've finally figured out part of the resting HR problem; a med I've been on for decades can actually increase heart rate, so I'm probably out of luck being able to use that as a measure of fitness.  I may ask about reducing the dose to see if that makes any difference. 

I agree with making this an easier week. it will fit in well with the 5K race Wednesday and travel plans.  I'll be back home by the 14th when I can try the 12 miler.  Excited to see how that goes.

re: your suggestion on the 1:1 ratio, I'll give that a try.  what pace where you suggesting for the minute of running?  race pace, or more long,slow run pace?  (about 13:00 or so for me.)

Ran a pretty slow 2.5 mile this morning, just a little warm up before the 4th of July 5K I'm running near Madison.  I had challenged nieces and nephews to run with me,  but only 1 running so far.

Run strong, run safe.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)