Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2686 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2012 3:55 AM by kate_mac RSS 1 2 Previous Next
squilky Pro 91 posts since
Jul 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2012 7:49 AM

My plan for running faster...

I've been running for about a year now. I'm 38 years old, and have never been much of a runner. So Im very pleased that I have logged about 400 miles over the past year. Started the Couch to 5k last May and finished around this time last year. When I started I was running an average of about 11 minutes per mile. I've gotten my average down to about 9:45. I want to continue to get faster. From all I've read, intervals are the way to go. The weather has been way too hot to run outside, so I've taken to using the treadmill at my gym where I work. Before I start a concerted effort to run faster, I want to run it past you guys to see if I have a sound plan in place, or if it will be a waste of time.

Here is the plan for this week:

Warm up run of 1 mile at 11:00 per mile pace:

3mins @ 9:30 pace (15 seconds faster than my current mile pace)

3mins @ 11:00 per mile (recovery_

3mins @ 9:30 pace

3mins @ 11:00 per mile

3mins @ 9:30 pace

5 mins @ 11:00 per mile (cool down)

I plan on doing this 3-4 times this week.

If all goes well, next week I will adjust my intervals from 3mins @ 9:30 to 3mins @ 9:15. Then the following week 9:00, then 8:45 and so on.

Is this a sound approach? Any suggestions are appreciated.

MK

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jul 2, 2012 8:41 AM (in response to squilky)

I think more miles is what you need!  if you do this only do it 1 day a week, adding more miles slowly would help you for sure!  Good luck

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jul 2, 2012 8:56 AM (in response to squilky)

It is, I have done 2 and 1/2 hours before (hate it, but sometimes you just have to do it).  That is why fall marathons are bad, I am just not smart enought not to do one.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Jul 2, 2012 2:47 PM (in response to squilky)

Is there any way to get outside (even for a couple of miles or for your intervals) in addition to the treadmill schedule?  I know the heat is overwhelming and dangerous, so it is important to be cautious.  Depending on your schedule, maybe work in an early AM route outdoors before work.  (Even if you have to go out before daybreak, it would be much better than all that time on the machine). 

That might be your best bet because, as you suggest, not only is the treadmill boring...it is not the best preparation.  It may take a few sessions to become accustomed to the temps and humidity, but your body will adjust quickly. 

Wishing you all the best.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    5. Jul 2, 2012 8:02 PM (in response to Jasko123)

squliky: first of all, kudos to you for getting started and sticking with it!  Agree with others that mileage base is much more important right now than speed.  Get up to 20-25 miles per week before thinking about adding speed work, and then do so very slowly to avoid injury potential.  I learned the hard way that doing both is a recipe for two months off of running.

Take the long view, especially at your age, and get your aerobic conditioning with long slow runs once a week combined with some shorter runs, and maybe add in some fartlek once a week.

Slow and steady wins the race, but the most important thing is to make sure you are fit to finish the race!

Good luck, and keep the faith!

Run, and be, fearless!

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    6. Jul 3, 2012 10:14 AM (in response to squilky)

I don;t like your workout plan because it involves no Volume just 3 small sessions.  3 minutes where do you come up with that number ? because its 1/3 of 9 minute mile? If you are doing that workout 1 time then adding on more distance or time to the harder runs then it might work. But im guessing you are trying to imprve your 1 mile time... You can improve your mile time by doing longer runs too  not just these crappy intervals that shows no effort

Jul 28, 2007
    7. Jul 3, 2012 10:17 AM (in response to squilky)

Most people do intervals by distance not by time. But if you just do 3 minute intervals trying to impove your 1 mile time then check this out. 3 times 3 minutes then next workout 4 3 3 then 3 3 3 3 then 4 3 3 3 then 5 3 3 3 then 6 4 3 3 then 7 4 3 3 etc... Increase the first 2 in time duration then then add more starting at 3 then going to 6 or more.  BUt i would do distance not time but you can try that because i used to do 2 minute as far as i can go runs before.

Jul 28, 2007
    8. Jul 3, 2012 10:27 AM (in response to squilky)

Oh wow i just read your post the whole thing. I thought you meant that was your 1 speed session you did every week or so.. That is a terrible workout routine. I would like to help you  and other people though.  Pure interval trainng will NOT WORK. You will not even be able to run a mile soon if you do something like that.  You will slow down. That that once every week or 6 days and run nrmal on other days with many miles. Get your mile time down to 8 minutes will not happen with just 3 mins on then recovery. Only if its intervals combined with normal runs like say 3-8 mile runs and lots of them.

In my experience that type of workout will only help u 1 or 2 weeks maybe then you will slow down.. heres the bottem line.....................

............... To get faster you got spend more time running not just trying to run faster every time you run. You can try if if you don't believe me.. Its your life but very very rarely does it work. There are only a small number of people that got pro from doing that its like a 1% chance that will work for you but it might

Jul 28, 2007
    11. Jul 5, 2012 9:01 AM (in response to squilky)

Well There is many types of training you can do to get faster not just 1 way. Your interval or speedwork day should not be everytime you workout that will simple not work.  You need a while to recover from a pace that is at your race pace. At the speed and skill you are at I think long runs  and daily medium runs are more important than interval training.  Like a guy said on here get your milage up to the mid 20s If you can do manage that.  Build up to there slowly. You can do that workout you just said seems ok but it has to change it when you start getting stronger.

It is easier to focus on a certain race like 5k for example because then you know what your 5k speed is and you do intervals at around that speed until you can gradually reduce recovery time and increase duration to 5000 meters which is much more than the intervals you are doing so will take time to build up.

I Think the stage you are at you can do general distance running meaning don't just think about a 10 k or 5k race. All your times from a half mile to half marathon will get better just do your intervals you want and do more running gradually so your body doesn't get hurt with the extra volume.

If you answer what is your goal 5k pace then I can tell u how fast to run intervals.

Lets work on getting you down to 9 minute miles for the 5k   becuase you are dong 10 minute at race and 11 on average.. miles now. 9 minute pace is 400 meter in 2:15 and 800 meters in 4:30.  and your 1200 meter in 6:45 so those are your times to train at. Go slighty faster than race pace for the 400 because its so short. You can do that workout u said if you wanted.

It is simplier to do 3 800s just for the first time so you can time how long it takes you to catch your breath and how fast you are. So i would try 800 M in under 4:30

Jul 28, 2007
    12. Jul 5, 2012 9:08 AM (in response to MarcusB092)

IF you do 400 1200 400 1200 .. Assuming the 400 is much faster than the 1200 at below race pace. Then you might not be sure which one is tiring you out more. Thts why I said do 3 800s ((do 4 800s if your not tired)) Then you will notice you needed more recovery time near the end and how much.. Can you job in between part of the time? or do you have to catch your breath for a while and walk?  Just worry about the times and estimate h ow lon recovery was. Write it all down in your journal. make some of the intervals longer or add on a 400M interval at the end when your recovery times start dropping.  If your dieing at the end of the workout after the third 800. Then you know if you can add on more intervals or not.

There is no recovery in the race and you train at race pace because you will n ever reach the speed for a 5k race in  longer runs. But never ever stop doing long runs on other days or your interval training will be in vain!

Jul 28, 2007
    14. Jul 5, 2012 10:33 AM (in response to squilky)

Recovery should be as long as your time was for the 800.  so take 4 minutes or 4 minutes 30 seconds. I do recovery By time not distance. Thats how they do it in cross country in college. Walk or very slow jog as recovery. Your 800 has to be about 4:30 try to make slighty faster. If you have a bad day just keep going even if its slower than your goal because at near race pace is still decent. It should be a challenging workout for you. And I say only 3 800s because if i said 4 800s and you are doing them with alot of effort your 4th one you would be much slower so I said 3 so you can skip the 4th until after 1 or 2 or 3 traning sessions after this one. 

Try to have a checkpoint so you know how fast you are going. ANd try to memorize what 9 minute miles feels like so you dont start to fast or to slow. If you start a 800 like its a 200 M dash you will burn out!  If to slow then your your not hitting your goal race pace. So try to get under that 4:30 You defiantly can. You might be able to do it in 4 minutes or less. If you can do it in 4 minutes try to do the next ones in the same time as your first.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...